PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Imlay, Das Boot Conditions and $10 5.10 Canyoneers

shaggy125
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Went down to Zion with Reed and Eric, we also met up with New Zelander Brendon and did Das Boot and Imlay. Das Boot had maybe a 1/8 cfs flow running through it of probably the second coldest canyon water I've been in. Our hands went instantly numb (not having any neoprene on them) once they touched the water. The subway felt bathtub warm compared to Das Boot.

Imlay via the sneak and peek was tip top full and we cruised through it in just under eight hours car to shuttle stop. I forgot what a romping good time Imlay is. I don't have pictures and once again the video camera is busted. Reed will probably post some pics of Das Boot sometime.

Side note: ZAC is selling all their used first generation 5.10 Canyoneers for only $10, many of them were in better shape than my current pair, and at $10 they might as well be free. I'd guess they will disappear fast.

Eric.

Jaxx
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Hopefully they have some 5.10s left when We go down next weekend!

jumar
05-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Hmmm...my wife could use a pair. Anyone want to see if there's any in around a size 5 1/2 men's (she has small feet)? I can pay pal you, or send you a check for them, if you wouldn't mind grabbing them for me.

Jeff

Reedus
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I didn't take to many of Imlay, because my wet hands were ruining my camera, but I got a bunch of the subway.

Scott Card
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Nice photos, thanks! I have a couple of Subway hikes planned for this summer in the Subway to take some newbies (my daughter and other family members). I do love the Subway. Sometimes it is nice to just have a gentle romp between the technical canyons... :popcorn:

Reedus
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
My few Imlay Shots

Scott Card
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
The Das boot stuff was also great. Made me cold just looking at the photos. My dumbest canyoneering moment was in Das Boot. A tale for another day......

Reedus
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Funny you should mention a romp for the subway. I was 10 times more fatigued after the Subway than I was after Imlay. We hiked out in the sun for the Subway and the heat takes it out of you. Imlay was overcast the entire day and even rained a little on us. We were jokingly debating after Imlay about getting a bite to eat at Oscars and hitting up Heaps before the day ended

Reedus
05-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Our attempt was the Das Boot entry, but I think we missed it by a long shot. We ended up dropping in way above DB. Probably more of a full left fork trip

Scott Card
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Funny you should mention a romp for the subway. I was 10 times more fatigued after the Subway than I was after Imlay. We hiked out in the sun for the Subway and the heat takes it out of you. Imlay was overcast the entire day and even rained a little on us. We were jokingly debating after Imlay about getting a bite to eat at Oscars and hitting up Heaps before the day ended

Heaps on a whim... now that is an intriguing thought. :lol8: That last little up climb out of the Subway hike is a killer if the sun is beating down on you. I have started to hike the Subway later in the day so that the shadow of the mountain is on me when I hike out. Also, less tourists... they all seem to go for the early start. If I do have to climb out in the heat of the day in full sun, I just lay myself down in the stream right at the exit sign and then off I go. I usually get a few crazy looks from those in my party but it works. By the time I get back to the car I am mostly if not completely dry.

Scott Card
05-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Our attempt was the Das Boot entry, but I think we missed it by a long shot. We ended up dropping in way above DB. Probably more of a full left fork trip

Man, I have yet to figure out the "correct" entrance. Seems like I am always rapping off some stick to get in. I always miss the "easy walk in" spot. I am either one drainage to one side or the other of the correct entrance. Also, I know I am not the only one missing the easy walk in cause there is always some webbing where I have gone in. I don't think I have gone as high as you did though.

rockgremlin
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Great pics!! Thanks for sharing. I never knew Left Fork was so scenic above the Subway...I'm thinking of knocking it out this summer sometime.

Scott P
05-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Nice. :2thumbs:

sparker1
05-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing.

accadacca
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Very kewl! :cool2:

Wasatch
05-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Nice pics, we have permits for Memorial Day for Das Boot/Subway.