PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Casto/Cassidy/Losee trails

johnnyspoke
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
After wrapping up Thunder Mountain the day before, we headed north of Highway 12 to ride a loop connecting these three trails. The plan was to park at the bottom of Casto Canyon, ride up and connect with the Cassidy trail, take that over to the head of Losee Canyon, and follow Losee down to the access road where we would close the loop by pedaling about a mile north to the car. Casto Canyon is an atv trail that winds in and out of a more or less dry wash. It is fairly smooth and non-technical, but it is also a little loose with all the gravel and sand. After 3 miles or so, the atv trail splits off to the left/north, and the singletrack heading towards Cassidy trail is basically a cow path. Cassidy trail, so named because a fellow named Butch Cassidy allegedly used portions of this route to escape lawmen, is tight singletrack in mostly excellent shape. About 2/3 the way to Losee it has some sharp up and downs---the up's were often loose and we had to walk a few. Through the Little Desert area and down into Losee Canyon the trail was a blast! Losee trail was primo too, and unlike Casto, this trail was firm singletrack despite wandering through a lightly flowing wash.

KillEmAll
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Nice TR. I've never heard of this trail but looks pretty cool.

Sombeech
05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Awesome. I've wondered what this loop is like, and it's just across the street from Thunder Mountain. Thanks to you, this trail can get a little more publicity. I'll add this to the index as well. :popcorn:

accadacca
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
That looks like a blast! Thanks for the report. :popcorn:

Sombeech
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll add this to the index as well. :popcorn:

Done

Ross
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a cool ride. Certainly looks great from the pictures.

I want to ride it now.

greyhair biker
05-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Amazing stuff! So, do you bring along a pro photographer, cause the pics are great! :2thumbs:

johnnyspoke
05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the compliments! It was a fun ride, one I'd definitely like to do again.