PDA

View Full Version : Hello Hello

Jammer
05-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Hey All--

I thought I'd go ahead and say an official "hello" since I have been lurking for a while. Love the site-- you guys really know your Utah! I'm a California guy myself. Well, technically I'm from Missouri and my parents live in SLC so I guess I'm somewhat a mix. But-- even though I live in Cali I try to vacation in UT a couple of times a year-- I love it. In fact...

Later this week I'm heading out on my second-annual crazy long hike in UT. Last year I hiked from near Kanab all the way over to Capitol Reef. This year I'm going from Green River through Canyonlands all the way down to near Blanding. It's a personal project of mine to explore the longest stretches of land w/o pavement. I'm starting with Utah because it's my favorite! I'm taking a SAT phone and doing a blog from the trail-- so I invite you to check in if you wish at:

www.curbpavement.com

(you can also see my trip report from last year if you want.)

Anyway... glad to officially say hello. Wish I coulda been up there for the happy hour earlier tonight-- looked fun.

One question before I go:

I'll be going by the High Spur area on my hike. Can I get very far w/o ropes (and return)? Is it worth it if I just have an hour to kill-- or are the goodies farther down canyon?

I promise to quit lurking and post a trip report when I get back!

Thanks--
-Jamal

R
05-01-2007, 06:22 AM
That looks like a great trip! :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
05-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Jamal,

Welcome to the site. That sounds like a sweet trip you have planned. I can't even imagine the logistics... What are you doing for water?

As for High Spur, the goodies are all before the ropes are required, but you'd have to go back the way you came. It seems like there are multiple weaknesses that could get you back out, but in an hour?? Seems unlikely, unless you are walking on the deadman trail, which might get you closer to the corkscrew. The best stuff is definitely a good hike from the spur road. Shane has a good map on his website climb-utah.com, and he has the best part labeled "corkscrew."

Enjoy the trip, best of luck.

rockgremlin
05-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Hiking from Green River to Blanding.....that's very cool! How are you getting back to your car in Green River once you arrive in Blanding?

I wouldn't mind giving you a shuttle up to your car -- I live in Monticello.

Alex
05-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I just read through your site, sounds like a great adventure, best of luck to you man!

Jammer
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Hiking from Green River to Blanding.....that's very cool! How are you getting back to your car in Green River once you arrive in Blanding?

I wouldn't mind giving you a shuttle up to your car -- I live in Monticello.

Wow-- that's a generous offer-- thanks. But, my Dad is coming down from SLC to help me with the shuttle issues. Makes life a little easier.

But... if you are in Monticello I have another question for you-- how much snow is still on the upper slopes of the Abajos?

Thanks,

Jammer
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Jamal,

What are you doing for water?.
I'll be living like a camel in between filtering at the sources. It's such a drag, but I will load up on 2+ gallons for the long stretches. In theory I think I have a source about every day: Horseshoe, Big, French, Maze, Water Canyon, Colorado, Upper Elephant, Lost and then good up Salt Creek.

walking on the deadman trail, which might get you closer to the corkscrew. .
Yep-- that's what I was hoping. It would be a bonus if I can explore High Spur before getting over to the rim area to camp. I may already be exhausted by that point-- but I'm still optimistic as I type at my computer!

Thanks for the advice.

Sombeech
05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the site!

stefan
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
ahh jammer ... welcome :gents:

i remember reading on the hike you posted last year to the zion NP group ... from the markagunt plateau to the escalante. quite a hike. looking forward to hearing about your next one, looks like you're starting soon here, covering some absolutely wonderful terrain.

have a good one :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Welcome, sounds like you have a fun trip planned

Mtnman1830
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
WOW. You are insane!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

accadacca
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the group!!! :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but I usually only say Welcome to Germans and Women.

rockgremlin
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
But... if you are in Monticello I have another question for you-- how much snow is still on the upper slopes of the Abajos?

Only 3 inches as of last Saturday - and it's melting quite rapidly. We keep getting between 3-5 inches, and then it warms up and melts, then it will cloud up and repeat. We really got shafted this year as far as snowfall. It never got above 40% of average the entire winter. I think it's around 5% of average right now.

Wasatch
05-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome aboard. Have a nice trip, you should have some cooler weather at this point in the season.