PDA

View Full Version : uUtah June Canyoneering Trip

Iceaxe
04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
uUtah June Canyoneering Trip
Official Thread

It looks like the forum is interested in a June 9/10 canyoneering trip. It is currently in the discussion and planning stage. Here is what has been suggested to date:

June 9: Black Hole
June 10: ?

Everyone is invited. Please read up on the Black Hole and feel free to ask questions. Last year this was a fun weekend and we had a reasonable mix of experienced canyoneers and noob's. Hopefully things will flush out about the same this year.

Black Hole Info
http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

Feel free to make suggestions.....

Below is the current list of those going:

1. Iceaxe
2. Wasatch
3. fourtycal
4. Kazak
5. Kazak's friend Adam
6. CarpeyBiggs
7. rockgremlin
8. Punchking
9. accadacca
10. Brewhaha
11. mtreker
12. Mike
13. Dan
14. Dan's daughter
15. Marc
16. shagster
17. RedRoxx
18. Alusul
19. Iceaxe_Jr
20. wiese
21 & 22. John and Felicia

Sign-up is closed!!!

:rockon:

Scott P
04-25-2007, 12:17 PM
If the 10th is Deer Canyon I might be interested since I haven't done that one and it's near the Black Hole. Supposed to be a good one for warm weather.

I may be headed for Capitol Peak that weekend though. I'll check the scedule.

Wasatch
04-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm up for it. Since it should be pretty hot, may I suggest Fry and the Fryleete for the next day.

fourtycal
04-25-2007, 12:27 PM
The Black hole is high up on my list. I just penciled it on my calendar, so I guess I am committed. :mrgreen:

Alex
04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Looks like it's going to be a full crew! :2thumbs:

I am in.

CarpeyBiggs
04-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Count me in, and perhaps my brother from Tahoe... We'll be spending that week previous doing some canyons in Zion, but we can hook up with you guys for the Black Hole. Fry would be nice too...

Kazak, thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I'd be happy to share some tips while we're down there.

Iceaxe
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
For the second day I'm thinking about deserthikers Conundrum (because I haven't done it) and Zero-G. It will be hot in June and both have water. Also fits well with my returning to the city of salt.

We can also split into smaller groups the second day or just plan a Saturday only. Only thing I would suggest is we keep the routes beginner friendly.

Fry with Conundrum or Zero-G would also make a nice double.

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
04-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a blast! I might suggest that we have volunteers bring good food for dinner Saturday night.

I've got a killer recipe for avocado salsa I'll bring. :2thumbs:

If group size gets too big, we can split and run two groups. Food for thought...

Scott P
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Fry with Conundrum or Zero-G would also make a nice double.

I don't know where Conumdrum is, but what's the logic of combining Zero-G with Fry? They are probably 100 miles apart? :ne_nau:

Not a complaint at all, but a friendly question and just curious.

CarpeyBiggs
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Ah yes. Pot luck dinner is a must. Only problem is, I can't cook. I'll bring the cases of gatorade... It's my specialty.

Brewhaha
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Dang...no, take that back...Damn! I will be out of town that area taking a group on a hike through Rattlesnake Canyon. I hope that I can catch you guys next year. I was going to bring Dutch Oven Potatoes and Cheesecake too.

rockgremlin
04-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Dang...no, take that back...Damn! I will be out of town that area taking a group on a hike through Rattlesnake Canyon. I hope that I can catch you guys next year. I was going to bring Dutch Oven Potatoes and Cheesecake too.

Double Damn!

Can't you call in sick? :lol8:

Brewhaha
04-25-2007, 01:48 PM
I may have to hire the world renonwned guide, RockGremlin, to take me through the Black Hole some other time...after all my kid invited his to a birthday party ;-)

Scott Card
04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Well nutz... I'll be in Zion :mrgreen: It would be fun though to meet some of the regulars and I'd also kick in some dutch oven goodies, if I were going.

Alex
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Umm, food comes before everything else, maybe change it to June 16th?

rockgremlin
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
June 16th weekend is Father's Day, AND it Tom's Zionfest.

June 2nd is still open for me though.

Wasatch
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I can bring my two-burner stove, if need be. Fry/Condondrum works better logistically, or at least closer together and it's on the way home.

CarpeyBiggs
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I could do the 2nd as well, if that works for everyone else.

Wasatch
04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Could also do the 2nd if need be.

Jaxx
04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
sweetness! I would love to come. I am a noob so I guess that means I am offering to carry rope.
The only thing that would keep me from going is if we need a wetsuit for the canyons. I dont have the funds right now for a wetsuit, after buying helmet, biners, rope, etc.

Jaxx
04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
should have read the description for black hole from climb-utah first,

"The Black Hole contains several very long and cold swims. Wetsuits are suggested in all but extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus). Hypothermia is a serious possibility"

ajroadtrips
04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
uUtah June Canyoneering Trip
Official Thread

It looks like the forum is interested in a June 9/10 canyoneering trip. It is currently in the discussion and planning stage. Here is what has been suggested to date:

June 9: Black Hole
June 10: ?

Everyone is invited. Please read up on the Black Hole and feel free to ask questions. Last year this was a fun weekend and we had a reasonable mix of experienced canyoneers and noob's. Hopefully things will flush out about the same this year.

Black Hole Info

Feel free to make suggestions.....

Hmmm, I think Hesse has been wanting to do the black hole... Might be a fun time to do it.

Conundrum/Zero-g could be a nice link-up for day 2. C'mon Ice, Horse Tanks is right in the area too, and I don't think you've done it yet... Sure, it's not the prettiest canyon on the block, but average canyons need love too....

Fry doesn't get high marks from me. Nice little canyon, but the water quality in there can be down right epic. Not "oh it's a little dirty" epic. Think 3rd world sewer epic.

:puke8:

Iceaxe
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
but what's the logic of combining Zero-G with Fry? They are probably 100 miles apart? :ne_nau:

Zero-G is a great canyon and is on my drive home :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
9th is probably only weekend I have open.

Conundrum/Zero-g is my preferred combo meal. I don't rate Fry very high on my list.

rockgremlin
04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
should have read the description for black hole from climb-utah first,

"The Black Hole contains several very long and cold swims. Wetsuits are suggested in all but extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus). Hypothermia is a serious possibility"

I've done the Black Hole about 4 times, and all four times I've never had a wetsuit. But then again, I did it in the dead of August, when outside temps were in the triple digits -- and even then, there were spots where we were shivering cold, and bolting for the sunshine at every opportunity.

I would say for maximum satisfaction, get a wetsuit to do the Black Hole. Odds are if you don't have one, you'll live, but you won't enjoy the canyon.

Some wetsuit advice: get a full-body wetsuit - not a shorty. The thickness should be 3mm for the average person, or 5mm for those who get cold easily.

If you live in SLC and don't own a wetsuit, don't fret - there are plenty of places that will rent you a wetsuit for $20 bucks for the entire weekend -- Sportcove Scuba in WVC is where I've rented from before - they're great!

Alex
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
UofU Rec program rents Farmer Johns for $12 bucks for a weekend (Pickup Friday drop off Monday).

I am open for 2nd or 9th and will be driving from SLC Friday night.

Brewhaha
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I guess that it's just as well that the date doesn't change to the 2nd since I will be knee deep in my Doctoral Comprehensive Exams.

accadacca
04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Noob here and I might be interested in joining you hoodlums. I didn't read about any rappelling, only a few climbing sections and some swimming. Sounds fun. :2thumbs:

icthys
04-26-2007, 06:31 AM
I'll check my schedule but this should be good for me. I'll also be good to work something up for dinner.

mrbrejcha
04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Are you putting a limit on the number of people going? I think I can go, but I won't know for a few weeks.

Iceaxe
04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I can probably scare up a couple extra wetsuits. Also ask around among friends, lots of folks have wetsuits stashed somewhere they don't really use. This canyon is not hard on wetsuits so there should be no problems with thrashing a loaner. Summer weight shorties are just fine for this route, but not the suit to buy if you intend to continue the sport. If purchasing its good to know that Sportsmens warehouse sells nice 3/2 full wet suits for $49.

There are no rappels in this canyon.

The Black Hole can handle a large group. If the group gets to big we can split into two.

gonzo
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Is anyone going down, but NOT doing the canyons? I would like to join, but I can't abandon my wife, and since she caught the pregnants she's probably not interested in canyoning. So, if anyone is hanging back in camp maybe she can keep 'em company.

At any rate, put me firmly on the "Possibly" list.

icthys
04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
maybe she can keep 'em company.

Is this how she caught the pregnants?

gonzo
04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
maybe she can keep 'em company.

Is this how she caught the pregnants?

I saw that one coming.

madsjim
04-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I would like to join, though I would only stay for the Saturday canyon.
I live in Salt Lake so if there is anybody that would like to carpool down on Friday night and come back Saturday evening maybe we could work something out.

Brewhaha
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I rearranged my schedule so now I am in for the Black Hole. If I promise to cook some Dutch Oven potatoes will you promise not to abandon me in the canyon?

Alex
04-27-2007, 12:05 PM
If you are going to be in charge of cooking, just let us know if you need us to bring anything or just give you the cash for the groceries. Last time itchy supplied everything for dinner and it turned out pretty good and easy.

I'll supply the beers (since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.

Wasatch
04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
If you are going to be in charge of cooking, just let us know if you need us to bring anything or just give you the cash for the groceries. Last time itchy supplied everything for dinner and it turned out pretty good and easy.

I'll supply the beers (since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.

I'll take some Squatters IPA, thank you.

accadacca
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
(since someone mentioned Gatorade already). Please let me know your flavor.
I drink all the Fierce flavors. . .

I cant believe Brewhaha is coming with the dutch oven goods. :five: This is going to be awesome! :2thumbs:

Alex
04-28-2007, 08:43 AM

Is that a brand? Liquor store or Uuuuutah beer? :ne_nau:

rockgremlin
04-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Clearly you are not up to speed on your Gatorade flavors. Shame on you. :haha:

accadacca
04-28-2007, 04:45 PM

Clearly you are not up to speed on your Gatorade flavors. Shame on you. :haha:
Yeah. . . :chairshot: :haha:

Alex
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Duuuuuuuh :eek2: Ok I feel dumb now :gap: :wedgie: :doh:

accadacca
04-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Duuuuuuuh :eek2: Ok I feel dumb now :gap: :wedgie: :doh:
Is BEER all you think about? Wait don't answer that! :lol8:

I buy the 24 packs of Gatoraid from Sam's Club during the summer. I drink that stuff like water. :boozer:

mtreker
04-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm in. If anyone whats to carpool down Friday night and come back Sunday, Email me or PM me. P.S. Zion was great this weekend. just got back. did keyhole and pine creek, and boy were they FULL.

marc olivares
04-30-2007, 05:15 PM
got some time conflicts, so it looks like i wont be able to make this one...bummer :frustrated:

BUT i do have an extra size med-full wetsuit if anyone needs it for the weekend. should fit you Alex, as long as you promise NOT to pee in it :nono:

:roflol:

Alex
05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks marc, sorry to hear you won't be joining us :frustrated:

I have a shorty that I usually use, I will be alright with that. My bladder would explode if I couldn't pee in yours! :haha: :lol8:

So what's the count of folks we have going so far?

shagster
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I am definatley interested, I would love to learn more from experts like ICE. I will put it on my calendar. I am a noob but I can help wherever you need me. Thanks :2thumbs:

marc olivares
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM

I have a shorty that I usually use, I will be alright with that. My bladder would explode if I couldn't pee in yours! :haha: :lol8:

looks like i might be able to make the trip after all :2thumbs:
the thought of seen Shane in a wetsuit again has got me shivering with antici... pation.

stefan
05-13-2007, 10:22 PM
the thought of seen Shane in a wetsuit again has got me shivering with antici... pation.

ha ha ... good more shotz for the thread :2thumbs:

Alex
05-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Wetsuit? Who said anything about a wet suit! IceAxe doesn't need no stinky wet suit when the ladiez are around!

http://utahbp.com/albums/bounty/IMG_3136.sized.jpg

Alex
05-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm in. If anyone whats to carpool down Friday night and come back Sunday, Email me or PM me. P.S. Zion was great this weekend. just got back. did keyhole and pine creek, and boy were they FULL.

A lot of us are from SLC/Ogden area, so I am sure a carpool will be in order

Alex
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Alright, here is a current list:

1. Iceaxe
2. Wasatch
3. fourtycal
4. Kazak
5. Kazak's friend Adam
6. CarpeyBiggs
7. rockgremlin
8. Jaxx
9. deserthiker
10.accadacca
11.itchys
12.Brewhaha
13.mtreker
14. Mike
15. Dan
16. Dan's daughter
17. Marc
18. shagster
19. Hesse

rockgremlin
05-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Add to the list:

Mike (Kyrell)
Dan
Dan's 10-yr-old daughter
Marc

Hey I'm glad to see you can make it down Marc. The 'Hole is a classic! :2thumbs:

Wasatch
05-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Would like to hook up with someone to drive down with. Who's leaving from Ogden/Layton/SLC or further south and has some room?

shagster
05-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Add shagster to the list as well. I would be coming from the Ogden area and could carpool down. :2thumbs:

Alex
05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
This is turning out to be a canyoneering uutah festival!

Iceaxe
05-14-2007, 07:58 AM
If Deserthiker is going I assume Cristina (Hesse) will also join up. I think we should cap this at about 25.

If you are on the list and are NOT going please let us know so we can remove your name and make room for others.

shagster
05-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Isn't that a good thing? :ne_nau:

Alex
05-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Isn't that a good thing? :ne_nau:

err ya totally, it should be a blast!

Ice, can you move the roster on the front page into your post so people can see it right away?

alusul
05-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I can make it down as well, and also think blackhole+zerograv is a good idea but there are so many others I'd like to try I'm open. I should also have 3 carpool spots from slc. Cant wait!

Alex
05-15-2007, 05:04 AM
I can't believe tanya is going to pass this event up.... what a pity!

What can I say? Zion rules!

Iceaxe
05-15-2007, 06:59 AM
I can't believe tanya is going to pass this event up....

Tanya doesn't operate outside of the gravitational pull of Zion.

:nod:

Wasatch
05-15-2007, 07:48 AM

I know someone else that does the same thing, sez it's too far to drive to the North Wash, Escalante, Robbers Roost. He lives in St. George. To me, he's cutting out alot of month's of good canyoneering time.

Jaxx
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Well, take me off the list. The boss says I have been doing too much camping without the family. I just took her to Zion! Oh well, mabey next time. (cue whipping sound)

CarpeyBiggs
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Bring her along man...

Scott P
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
The boss says I have been doing too much camping without the family.

The boss is telling you that you should take the family with you to the Black Hole. :wink:

Jaxx
05-15-2007, 12:00 PM
I would love to, and she would love to come. But, I just had my parents watch our kids while we went to Zion and I wouldn't feel right asking them again so soon. I can't wait until the kids are older and we can take them in the canyons. I'm addicted!

Scott P
05-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Jaxx
05-15-2007, 12:06 PM
we have one that is 11months. I wouldn't worry about the 2 older kids but the baby is a no-go.

Scott P
05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
we have one that is 11months.

Yeah, definately don't want to take an 11 month old in there. :2thumbs: Eek.

FOX
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
If group size gets too big, we can split and run two groups. Food for thought...

With the group size capping at 25, I agree with the split. Rock, you and I should lead one of 'em. Should be a fun trip! I haven't been back to the "black hole" since 2000. I'm really looking forward to it! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Lets wait and see what actually shakes out..... setting groups at this point is really getting ahead of ourselves.

Alex
05-16-2007, 05:18 AM
You guys should just let me lead one group. I will have everyone hooked in to their backpack pads straps instead of a harnesses in no time. Plus my chances of finding naked men are much higher than yours, which qualifies me as a trip leader! :lol8: :roflol:

accadacca
05-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Nekkid men! I'm outta here. . . :ghost:

Iceaxe
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
So Kazak turns to me and says "what am I supposed to do? Just let the nakid guy drowned?"

My reply "Yes!"

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

tanya
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM

I know someone else that does the same thing, sez it's too far to drive to the North Wash, Escalante, Robbers Roost. He lives in St. George. To me, he's cutting out alot of month's of good canyoneering time.

I love all you people here on Uutah.com..... but Zion does rule! Those little 12 miles to Zion have spoiled me! Then the GSENM is so close too! I am not just into "canyoneering"! Around Zion is a hiking mecca! I consider canyons the same as hiking.... so would anyone that hangs around Bo much. He makes them as easy as a hike.

And... but I hate to say! :cripple: :oops:
Right now I also have a few little problems.. had surgery, HAVE mono :eek2: and I am working like a mad person often double shifts 7 days a week. :ne_nau: I do have hopes I can hike soon though.. perhaps this weekend?

Iceaxe
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I love all you people here on Uutah.com..... but Zion does rule!

The Black Hole is completely different from anything you will find in Zion. Just canyoneering Zion is like sticking strickly with the missionary position... yeah its nice..... but you are missing ooooh soooooo much. :haha:

Get well soon.... :ahh:

tanya
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM

The Black Hole is completely different from anything you will find in Zion. Just canyoneering Zion is like sticking strickly with the missionary position... yeah its nice..... but you are missing ooooh soooooo much. :haha:

But! There is more to life than canyoneering! (I know not for some of you)..... There is hiking and stuff! Some day if I ever do everything around here I will go outside self imposed (Zion, North Rim, Bryce Canyon, Dixie Forest, Cedar Breaks, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs and everything between) limits. There is just so much stuff in those limits though! :lol8:

Thanks! :nod:

Alex
05-17-2007, 12:06 PM

But! There is more to life than canyoneering! (I know not for some of you)..... There is hiking and stuff! Some day if I ever do everything around here I will go outside self imposed (Zion, North Rim, Bryce Canyon, Dixie Forest, Cedar Breaks, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs and everything between) limits. There is just so much stuff in those limits though! :lol8:

Ya, but while your "hiking" do you pull nakid men outa pools? Well.... we do while we canyoneer in outer Zion limits! :lol8: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Ya, but while your "hiking" do you pull nakid men outa pools? Well.... we do while we canyoneer in outer Zion limits! :lol8: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:

In Zion it seems it's always nakid' women we run into. :lol8:

savanna3313
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey there Tanya! Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you are feeling yourself again really soon. :banana:

btw - no photos of the naked man Kazak helped?? :ne_nau:

Guess you guys didn't want any evidence eh? :lol8:

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey there Tanya! Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you are feeling yourself again really soon. :banana:

btw - no photos of the nakid man Kazak helped?? :ne_nau:

Guess you guys didn't want any evidence eh? :lol8:

Thanks Jan :five:

I want to see those photos too! :popcorn:

Alex
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Well crap, what are we doing hiking Moab area, Shane!!!! :frustrated:

And savana, I was too busy pulling the dude out to be taking pics, the rest of the gang were to my side puking from the scene :lol8:

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Well crap, what are we doing hiking Moab area, Shane!!!! :frustrated:

And savana, I was too busy pulling the dude out to be taking pics, the rest of the gang were to my side puking from the scene :lol8:

I keep telling you guys .. Zion rules! :lol8:

Okay... we have to know the story?!?!?!

savanna3313
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Okay... we have to know the story?!?!?![/color]

Yep - the WHOLE story. :naughty: Come on....amuse me. I am home waiting for repairmen to show up for different things.

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM

:naughty: Come on....amuse me. I am home waiting for repairmen to show up for different things.

Oh... where my mind went with that statement! :haha: :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Ya, but while your "hiking" do you pull nakid men outa pools?

Hey kazak.... just thought I'd mention that's not a big selling point for me. :lol8:

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Hey kazak.... just thought I'd mention that's not a big selling point for me. :lol8:

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

savanna3313
05-17-2007, 12:40 PM

:naughty: Come on....amuse me. I am home waiting for repairmen to show up for different things.

I can tell you're already feeling better! :five:

:lol8:

Alex
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM

How can you say that with your butterfly looks.... you are like irresistible to nakid men. I mean women already falling over backwards at your appearance, dude!

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:44 PM

I can tell you're already feeling better! :five:

:lol8:

:mrgreen:

tanya
05-17-2007, 12:46 PM

How can you say that with your butterfly looks.... you are like irresistible to nakid men. I mean women already falling over backwards at your appearance, dude!

Does that mean you are still waiting for Shane to come out of his cocoon and become beautiful or are you talking about that wild grey hair that poofs out like a butterlies wings?

Alex
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I never heard Shane described like that.... but hey to each their own. Savanna is right, you are feeling better! :naughty: :five:

icthys
05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Alas my brother just decided to get married that weekend. Sorry but I've got to bow out. I already regret not making this.

Have a good time.

Alex
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh itchy! Every time I do dutch oven I keep thinking of your home made charcoal starter pot!

marc olivares
05-21-2007, 12:00 PM
...home made charcoal starter pot!

Do tell... lets see some photos

icthys
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
...home made charcoal starter pot!

Do tell... lets see some photos

It's an easy one. #10 food storage can, wire hanger, needle nose pliars, and a drill. The only disadvantage is no handle, but I really haven't found it to be a problem.

I'll get a picture up.

Wasatch
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Who is this Iceaxe_Jr?

Iceaxe
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Who is this Iceaxe_Jr?

:lol8: you'll see :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
We need everyone to check the list at the beginning of this thread. If you are not on the list and planning to go we need your name. If you are on the list but not planning to go I need your name off the list.

WARNING!
If your name is on the list and you do not show you will NOT be invited on anther trip. I mean really.... its just common courtesy. A simple post or PM saying remove my name from the list is all we ask.

:five:

CarpeyBiggs
05-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone looking to make a Friday, Saturday, Sunday event out of this?

I'd be down to bag something Friday as well.

wiese
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
i would be down to going. i will be around weeks before and after if u wish to run a muck

take care
EW

Sombeech
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Still pondering this one. Gotta question.

How necessary are the wetsuits? I've got a full body suit, but I don't want to be lugging it around all day. I can withstand the cold pretty well.

I may have a commitment at home that weekend, but I'm still trying to get out of it.

accadacca
05-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I need to pick up a wetsuit somewhere as well. I am prolly riding down with fourtycal, maybe beech if he shows. Its on my calendar. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
05-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Still pondering this one. Gotta question.

How necessary are the wetsuits? I've got a full body suit, but I don't want to be lugging it around all day. I can withstand the cold pretty well.

I may have a commitment at home that weekend, but I'm still trying to get out of it.

Here's a few thoughts on wetsuits and the Black Hole:

I've done the Black Hole maybe 4 four times now, and I have never done it with a wetsuit....BUT....I did it in the midst of July/August when outside temps are their hottest....and even then the water was cold. It got to the point where when you reach another swimming section, you almost dread having to get back into the water.

Temps around here have been on the cold side lately. Last night it got down to 29 degrees in Monticello. Combine this with the fact that the water in the black hole doesn't see sunlight, and I'm thinking that water should be pretty cold. If you decide not to wear a wetsuit, you will probably live, but it's not gonna be an enjoyable hike....or at least not as enjoyable as if you would've had a wetsuit.

My take is -- pamper yourself and just rent a wetsuit -- I guarantee you won't regret it. It might cost a few extra bucks, and you will have to haul it in and out of the canyon, but in the Black Hole section you will not regret it!!

Iceaxe
05-24-2007, 07:29 AM
How necessary are the wetsuits?

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. :nod:

In the world of canyoneering this is a short route.... just pack the dang wetsuit.

CarpeyBiggs
05-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I know this might not get too many volunteers, seeing as this site is apparently full of ADD canyoneers who can't concentrate after more than one day in a canyon, but I thought I'd throw out an offer anyways...

Basically, I've got four days with no strings... And just wanted to see if anyone else wants to get in some more canyons. I'll be available Friday through Monday, and can do canyons all four of those days.

Have we finalized plans for the Sunday canyon yet? I'm curious which way everyone is leaning... If some do Zero G, I'd like to try and get in some more canyons Monday in the Swell or perhaps Pandora's in Cap. Reef. Friday I'd be down for a Cheesebox or Gravel, maybe Fry? Perhaps even a Hog? I'm up for suggestions...

Dan

Iceaxe
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
this site is apparently full of ADD canyoneers who can't concentrate after more than one day in a canyon...

I'm most worried about all the guys who will be running around in knee pads..... cause ya know.... I'm what some might call dang pretty....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

tanya
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM

In the world of canyoneering this is a short route.... just pack the dang wetsuit.

Just don't believe Shane! You don't have to totally strip in front of everyone! You can actually leave a bit of clothing on under the wetsuits. :haha:

Sombeech
05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
You don't have to totally strip in front of everyone!

Maybe I will anyways.

shagster
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Maybe I will anyways.

Does that mean you are going to make this trip beech? You should try to come down, should be a great time... :friday:

Alex
06-01-2007, 05:14 AM

Maybe I will anyways.

Does that mean you are going to make this trip beech? You should try to come down, should be a great time... :friday:

ya... and strip in front of everyone! :lol8:

So who is carpooling with who? I am available to drive and can take one more passenger.

tanya
06-01-2007, 06:35 AM

Maybe I will anyways.

I want to go if 'Beech is stripping! :popcorn:

tanya
06-01-2007, 06:38 AM

There is nothing nicer than a good warm wet/dry suit in frigid water in a cold dark canyon with no sunlight around! Besides.... they would make you go in the water nakid' if you don't wear a suit. :haha: I assume you know what such cold water can do to a man!

shagster
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Yea I know, cold water makes me the size of a normal man :roflol: :roflol:

tanya
06-01-2007, 06:51 AM

:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

Iceaxe
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Alright.... here is the deal unless anyone else wants to take a swing....

We meet at 8:30 at the Black Hole Trailhead (upper or main trailhead). Driving directions are in the link below.

Black Hole Info

Everyone should read the link at least once so they know what to expect!

I'll be there Saturday morning with my daughter, not sure about my plans after that. This is just a group of friends meeting to do a fun canyon together. You are responsible for your own safety. Probably about 1/2 of the group has done this route before so we should not be lacking experience.

I'll try and remember to bring a couple extra wetsuits. If someone has a ladies small or childs large I can borrow you would have my gratitude.

That is the end of my planning.... everything thing else is up to you guys.

Sombeech
06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm going to have to count myself out on this one, unfortunately.

savanna3313
06-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Ok....since Tanya didn't do it, I gotta ask.......just what is the size of a "normal" man? :ne_nau:

Alex
06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Alright.... here is the deal unless anyone else wants to take a swing....

We meet at 8:30 at the Black Hole Trailhead (upper or main trailhead). Driving directions are in the link below.

I assume you mean AM (morning on Saturday) right?

Do we need a rope for that canyon? Would a shorty wetsuit be ok do you think?

Iceaxe
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I assume you mean AM (morning on Saturday) right?

Do we need a rope for that canyon? Would a shorty wetsuit be ok do you think?

AM - Saturday morning....

Shorty wetsuits will be fine. I've actually never used a wetsuit in the Hole, but with this large a group it will be a little slower so I'm packing one along.

We just need a short section of rope or webbing (30'). I'll be packing one, not a bad idea if a few others do also.

I always carry a short section of webbing and a locking biner on every hike I do. Lots of things to use it for, including rappelling over an unknown obstacle and tying up uncooperative females..... oops.... did I just say that out loud? :ne_nau:

:five:

shagster
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
If someone has a ladies small or childs large I can borrow you would have my gratitude.

I might be able to help you out there. Let me check tonight and I will let you know. :2thumbs:

Alex
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Ice, you made me buy the webbing for the first trip you took me out on, so that never left my bag either. I will bring that along just in case.

shagster
06-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Ok....since Tanya didn't do it, I gotta ask.......just what is the size of a "normal" man? :ne_nau:

I can't give away all my secrets, I have to at least leave a little to the imagination!! :lol8:

tanya
06-01-2007, 01:49 PM

I'm not going to say a thing. :five:

tanya
06-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Me too then... if I can't see 'Beech nakad. :roll:

Iceaxe
06-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ice, you made me buy the webbing for the first trip you took me out on, so that never left my bag either.

Webbing is like beer.... it never goes to waste when I'm around. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Since I know some of you on this trip are noob's...... this might help answer some questions.

The trip will take 6 to 8 hours. We will be swimming. You will want a dry bag to put inside your backpack, they cost about $15 at most rafting and sporting good stores. You only need a dry bag large enough to keep important items dry. You will want to hike in gym shoes as they will be wet. I highly discourage Tevas. I like to wear clothes that dry fast, nylon works best (board shorts) levis suck. Everyone needs to pack a lunch and at least 2 liters of water.

If your a newbie you might want to read this:

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

You don't actually need all this gear but it will give you a good idea of what canyoneers carry and why.

accadacca
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Noob questions. . .

So if I need to rent a wetsuit where do I go? I remember someone mentioning a dive place in Taylorsville off redwood somewhere. Do I need to reserve one in advance or just show up Thursday or Friday to grab one? :ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I remember someone mentioning a dive place in Taylorsville off redwood somewhere.

Careful there.... That's the crib that raised me.

Ah hell, who am I kidding, with a clue like "dive place in Trailorsville" (as the locals know it) it could be anywhere...

Alex
06-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Noob questions. . .

So if I need to rent a wetsuit where do I go? I remember someone mentioning a dive place in Taylorsville off redwood somewhere. Do I need to reserve one in advance or just show up Thursday or Friday to grab one? :ne_nau:

$12 will get you a wetsuit for a weekend at UofU recreational outdoor program. http://web.utah.edu/campusrec/orp_crs/orp.htm

I'd call to reserve one.

Wasatch
06-04-2007, 08:22 AM
So, are we going to all meet up at the Sandthrax CG for Fri/Sat/Sun? Are we having a potluck? If so, what should we bring?

Iceaxe
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
So, are we going to all meet up at the Sandthrax CG for Fri/Sat/Sun? Are we having a potluck? If so, what should we bring?

Anyone stayed at the Sandthrax campground lately? My big concern is... are the no-see-ums out in squadron strength? It would be nice if we had a communitie campsite for those interested.

The meeting point for Saturday is the Black Hole Trailhead at 8:30 am.

Everything else is just gravy.

Iceaxe
06-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Also.... just got this report from a friend who went through the Black Hole this past weekend.

[i]Black Hole has at least 4 swims

accadacca
06-04-2007, 08:48 AM
So we aren't going to all camp in the same place, roast marshmallows and sing kumbayaa? WTF!! :roflol: :lol8:

rockgremlin
06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I think I'll be camping out at the "Soldier's Grave" with Mike, Dan, his daughter, and a few others from Monticello. The Soldier's Grave is about 10 miles east of the Black Hole car park, right on the main road. Others are welcome to join us.

Iceaxe
06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
The Soldier's Grave is a nice place to camp. Here is the info.

From Blanding, Utah: Travel south on Utah Highway 191 for 3 miles to the junction of Utah Highway 191 and Utah Highway 95. Travel 55 miles west on Utah Highway 95 to mile marker 66.5. The Soldier's Grave is located on the north side of the highway.

From Hanksville, Utah: Travel south on Utah Highway 95 for 66 miles to mile marker 66.5. The Soldier's Grave is located on the north side of the highway.

The Soldier's Grave:
In 1884 several cowboys got into a dispute with some Paiute Indians concerning the ownership of a horse. The cowboys called in the U.S. Cavalry to help them with the dispute. A chase ensued during which the Paiutes ambushed the soldiers and killed two of them. The Soldiers are buried at the marked grave just off highway 95. The Paiutes were never captured.

marc olivares
06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
i'll be rolling in late friday night, so out of courtesy it's likely i wont be camping near anyone else and will meet up w/ everyone on sat morning.
i'm fighting an ear infection, so hopefully that will be resolved before the weekend, nothing like swimming in mucky water to perpetuate an ear infection :frustrated:

montanablur
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Interesting...

alusul
06-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Anyone stayed at the Sandthrax campground lately? My big concern is... are the no-see-ums out in squadron strength? It would be nice if we had a communitie campsite for those interested.

The meeting point for Saturday is the Black Hole Trailhead at 8:30 am.

Everything else is just gravy.

I havent been out to sandthrax lately, but I can say we nearly got eaten alive in the roost from no-see-ums and deer flys this weekend, so I'd expect they are out and about in the region in full force.

rockgremlin
06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I was out hiking around Moab over the weekend, and the bugs weren't bad at all. :ne_nau:

alusul
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Guess I should mention it was just in the mindbender canyon to the moki exit that we got attacked, everything else was guarded by wind so I wasnt sure how many were lurking. Fwiw I'm gonna pick up some GI deet spray or some 100% bottle as my current 30% seems to work for about 30 seconds.

CarpeyBiggs
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Not to mention, after the attack of the deadliest deerflies ever, I am going to purchase the biggest no-see-um mesh tent I can find... Plus a two liter bottle of deet.

Only place I've seen bugs worse than what we saw in Mindbender yesterday is the Wind Rivers.

Iceaxe
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Last report from the Black Hole.... bugs are not a problem in the canyon but if camping out at night you might want a tent.

Brewhaha
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Are there any plans for a potluck of something afterwards?

rockgremlin
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I thought the potluck was for Friday night? :ne_nau:

FOX
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey Rock, when are you heading out? I'm gonna try to bail out of SLC as soon as possible Friday night. I'm hoping to reach camp before midnight for a change.

rockgremlin
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I think I'll head out Friday afternoon around 5:00pm. I'll probably be at the Soldier's Grave around 6:30pm.

RedRoxx
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I should be up Fri sometime, depending on how much driving I get done Thurs nite, may hit Cedar Mesa for a short hike. Might crash the Soldier's Grave area or find my own spot on the mesa top to camp.
Hiked down for photos to the start of the pools about 2 weeks ago. Nice light, hope for nice photos this trip--
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2386263210033611352Kackcl

Alex
06-05-2007, 03:59 AM
I will head out from SLC around 2-3pm, hopefully will see the rest of you at the Soldier's grave by about 6-7pm.

rockgremlin
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to secure a wetsuit for Dan's 11-yr-old daughter, but having a bit of difficulty with the local outfitters. Either they don't have wetsuits to accomodate a pre-teen, or they don't wanna rent them out.

Does anyone out there have one or have access to one they could bring down? I am willing to pay.

Thank you!

BTW, she is just under 5 feet in height, and is very skinny.

jumar
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a 5 or 7mm jacket that might fit her.

hesse15
06-06-2007, 01:45 PM
hei if you have somebody avenue/downtown coming down i have a pretty old farmer jane that now is too tight for me , i am 5.4 118lbs aand is too tight
is old and abused but you can give a try
ilive in salt lake and between avenues and liberty park
cri

Hi all,

I am trying to secure a wetsuit for Dan's 11-yr-old daughter, but having a bit of difficulty with the local outfitters. Either they don't have wetsuits to accomodate a pre-teen, or they don't wanna rent them out.

Does anyone out there have one or have access to one they could bring down? I am willing to pay.

Thank you!

BTW, she is just under 5 feet in height, and is very skinny.

alusul
06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Anyone making any plans yet for Sunday?

I know me and some others are staying through monday and would like to join up w/ a group sunday.
I'm not as familiar w/ the cedar mesa area canyons so I'd like to see what other trips are being planned, but if nothing shows I'll probably put something together for the swell or capitol reef, maybe north wash (geez, I still haven't done shenanigans).

rockgremlin
06-06-2007, 01:51 PM
At this point, I'm (and I'm sure she is too) willing to give anything a try. Much appreciated.

rockgremlin
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
(geez, I still haven't done shenanigans).

Man, you need to do Shenanigans! It made an easy jump into my top 5 list. Awesome canyon!!

Alex
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
At this point, I'm (and I'm sure she is too) willing to give anything a try. Much appreciated.

I can swing by and pick it up for you Rock. Hesse, can you give me your cell via PM?

hesse15
06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
ok send my numbers,
it is old but i used until last year
and is fine for scrambling and canyons

I can swing by and pick it up for you Rock. Hesse, can you give me your cell via PM?

Iceaxe
06-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Something else that was mentioned to me that some of you might like to know......

Make sure your pack has plenty of flotation. A couple of empty water bottles work nice. Then you can lay on top of your pack and use it like a kick board..... It really helps in this canyon. This canyon usually has more continual swimming than most Utah canyons.

accadacca
06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Fourtycal, PunchKing and I are taking off around 3 hopefully. We will crash in Hanksville Friday night and meet up with ya'll Saturday morning at the trail head. :2thumbs:

Wasatch
06-07-2007, 07:20 AM
OK, some questions. Anyone staying at Sandthrax Friday night thru Sunday? Will there be a potluck on Saturday night? Will anyone be staying Saturday night at Soldiers Grave?

Alex
06-07-2007, 07:27 AM
OK, some questions. Anyone staying at Sandthrax Friday night thru Sunday? Will there be a potluck on Saturday night? Will anyone be staying Saturday night at Soldiers Grave?

Since we haven't covered that yet, I assume we do our thing...Maybe run to Hanksville for a nice juicy hamburger?

Iceaxe
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Other then the Black Hole trip you guys are on your own and welcome to organize anything you like.

I plan to arrive late Friday night, hike the Black Hole and then play it by ear from there. At the moment I'm leaning towards the juicy burger in Hanksville idea afterwards... but I can be easily persuaded in anther direction.

rockgremlin
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Justin you're a dork! Why are you bailing out?! There's a place here in The Monti that serves all-you-can-eat crab legs and prime rib on Saturdays!

You're missing out!

rockgremlin
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
FYI -- If you're planning on a nice warm So. Utah trip, and don't pack warm weather gear to sleep in I guarantee you will regret it!! Things are cold down here. Summer is dragging it's feet in arriving, and the nights are cold!

Just last night half of my garden was killed from the excessively cold temps. Not too happy about that.... :frustrated:

Iceaxe
06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
The mental picture of Rockgremlin in bib overalls doing gardening makes me laugh :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

rockgremlin
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
The mental picture of Rockgremlin in bib overalls doing gardening makes me laugh :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

:lol8: You should see me with my trowel in one hand and watering can in the other... :lol8:

Iceaxe
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey... I was bringing my daughter to the Black Hole with me but she is sick as a dog tonight so probably will not be going.

Anyhoo..... if she bails I'd be interested in catching a ride down with someone or someone hitchin' a ride with me.

My plans are flexible but I was thinking leaving Draper about 5ish? I can do Saturday only or Saturday and Sunday....... its all good.

marc olivares
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Shane, there's always room for you in the "lifestyle" :haha:

i'm planning on a 6-ish departure and eating on the run
gimme a call if you need a ride

rockgremlin
06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Slight change of plans on my side. I'll be sleeping in my bed 2night (instead of at the Soldier's Grave). I'll meet up with you guys at the trailhead tomorrow morning.

hesse15
06-08-2007, 11:32 AM
hei Rock ,
Kazac got wetsuit
it is old and thorn , but better than nothing.

bad you are not home
deserthiker was thinking to extend you an invite to climb desert glass or something like that , that is in your backyard in monticello
have fun guys :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks again Cri.

Ya, me and Ryan will get together eventually. We been playin' canyon tag for awhile now. I guess I'm "it."