PDA

View Full Version : Roost Conditions - Weekend of 4/20/07

AJ
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Just got back from a weekend trip to the Roost, near the White's. There was more water than usual in the canyons there.

East (Main) White had a bunch of water sections, none over chest deep. All could be stemmed over if you have moderate (5.6-ish equivalent) climbing skills. Cleaned up several of the raps old webbing.

West White had some water sections, again, all could be stemmed, and more easily than East.

Little White had water sections, up to chest deep, some that could not be avoided. Didn't look like anyone had been in here in a while. Cleaned up the rats nest of webbing at the final rap.

East and West Buck had less water than the Whites; all could be stemmed easily as well.

Chambers had quite a bit of water. One spot could not be avoided, climbing down and then spanning a pothole. Chest deep. Many others could be avoided with some strenuous climbing; but most were knee deep or less.

The road in and to the White trailhead was in good shape; easily passable by 2wd. Down the hill is a little rough, but could likely be passed by a higher clearance 2wd. 4wd makes it easily.

It started to rain just as we were leaving on Sunday.

Hope that helps,
A.J.

JP
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_needpics.gif

price1869
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_needpics.gifActually, I find it rather informative. Welcome to the site. :)

Iceaxe
04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey AJ, if you kept your feet dry on the final rappel in Main White Roost last weekend you are my hero :hail2thechief:

And what is this Chambers you speak of.... :lol8:

Thanks for the update..... :2thumbs:

:popcorn:

AJ
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
At the risk of venturing a little into the realm of chest thumping, I'll give the full details on East. All but the third rap in Kelsey's description can be downclimbed; I didn't find any of the other three to be all that difficult. The hardest water avoidance isn't the final rappel, it's actually just before the third rap where the canyon turns a corner to the right. You have to stem out on sandy walls to get there, and use a pinch on the right wall to get your body on the right side LDC. Then transition and lean off on a smaller ledge just above the pinch. From there, work your way over to the lip using one good hold that you can't see until you do the above move. If you can make that move, you can keep your feet totally dry the entire canyon.

As for JP's comment; that thread wasn't meant to be a trip report; aka with photos. It was an informational thread for people that may be heading to the roost soon, as there was more water there than I had seen before. Not enough to warrant a wetsuit in decent weather, but since it was raining when I left, theres is likely even more water there now. If someone else goes soon, on a cold day; it may help them make the (wise) decision to use a wetsuit.

I'm considering putting some trip reports on here as well (I currently use a different means to disseminate.) However, harassing someone will very likely get the opposite of the desired result.

I'm way behind on my pics and trip reports right now (Sept 2006), so this trip report wouldn't come for a bit anyway...

Iceaxe
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey AJ, welcome to the forum, its nice to have you around..... the "worthless without pics" is kind of a running joke around here and I'm guessing was meant in jest. We have a lot of jokers around this place.

If you post your TR's elsewhere a link to them is always welcome. If you post the TR's here directly they will usually end up in our TR index which you might find very useful.

uutah Trip Report Index
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649

:popcorn:

Wasatch
04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
AJ,

Much appreciated info, keep them coming.

AJ
04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Just posted my latest trip report from Labor Day 2006. (Just for you JP. ;)

It's from Colorado though, not Utah. (Gasp!)

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks Ice, I've seen that there are a lot of jokers around. No worries. No offense taken.

hesse15
04-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Just posted my latest trip report from Labor Day 2006. (Just for you JP. ;)

It's from Colorado though, not Utah. (Gasp!)

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Thanks Ice, I've seen that there are a lot of jokers around. No worries. No offense taken.
Welcome to uutah AJ
do not worry about the comments, we love see pictures...
by the way i am still waiting my cd from the trip we did in the poison spring canyons.

:nod:
if you find the time pleaaaaseee.

not another Chamber super secret.....
Shane come on, wait couple of weeks and you can do at Tom Fest, just be patient.... :nono:

Iceaxe
04-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Don't you mean the Lower Little Middle East Fork of Bull Canyon?

Oh wait... that's on the other disk.....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I'm going to have to meet this AJ charactor, if Hesse likes him he must be OK. :nod:

:rockon:

hesse15
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Don't you mean the Lower Little Middle East Fork of Bull Canyon?

Oh wait... that's on the other disk.....

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I'm going to have to meet this AJ charactor, if Hesse likes him he must be OK. :nod:

:rockon:
yes he survived a two canyons trip with me kind of bitching out, he is a nice guy.
:five:

AJ
04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the compliment Cristina. It was a good trip; very fun. Lots of good canyons that time.

As for the photos, I didn't forget about you. (Who could? ;) I'm just WAY behind. That's why I just posted my most recent trip that I caught up on, which was Labor Day 2006. The trip we did was at the end of October. As soon as I get them done, I'll e-mail you and Greg...