PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend suggestions - help!

TreeHugger
04-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I have a friend that is coming in from Boston that weekend - his request is: "take me somewhere there are no cars or phones or civilization where I can sleep on the ground". He's not been anywhere in Utah except Zion, and the Cottonwood canyons. We will be doing 3 days and 2 nights - backpacking preferred, or car camping is ok as long as its not a zoo. We could go south, or north, or east..... and not too hot, would be preferred.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!!

Tree.

gonzo
04-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a friend that is coming in from Boston that weekend - his request is: "take me somewhere there are no cars or phones or civilization where I can sleep on the ground". He's not been anywhere in Utah except Zion, and the Cottonwood canyons. We will be doing 3 days and 2 nights - backpacking preferred, or car camping is ok as long as its not a zoo. We could go south, or north, or east..... and not too hot, would be preferred.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!!

Tree.

Sounds like The Maze to me. It's supposedly the most remote place in the United States. I haven't been down there (yet) but there's a few trip reports in the Hiking/High Pointing forum.

Scott P
04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
It depends on the year, but often times the Maze is hotter than heck around Memorial Day. We really roasted last time we were in the Maze Memorial Day Weekend, but it's not always like that. Personally, I would go to a well watered canyon.

Here's some ideas:

Escalante Area

Death Hollow (maybe just the lower end if the upper is too hard for your friend)

The Gulch-Horse Canyon Loop.

Choprock/Silver Falls Loop

Powell/Abajo area

Gypsum Canyon

Dark Canyon

Hammond Canyon

Bowdie Canyon is great too, but enter the canyon below the confluence. Above it is a nasty bushwhack

The above would be my top choices. If I were going to Canyonlands NP for backpacking, I would choose Upper Salt Creek at that time of year.

Could even run the Yampa River with us if you were interested.

TreeHugger
04-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look further into your suggestions. Scot is a very outdoorsy, strong fellow, he'll be fine doing anything.

Wasatch
04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I would also vote for Dark Canyon, plenty of pools, waterfalls, to play in.