PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Boulder Mail Trail

mroy
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
The Boulder Mail Trail has a lame sounding name, but it's a cool hike through a sweet area of high desert slickrock. It starts out with a quick drive across a dirt airstrip to get to the trailhead, and then on the actual trail, you're walking on sand, glorious sand! For the most part if you're not walking on slickrock, you're walking on sand. During the more scenic parts of the trip, especially around the Death Hollow crossing the area looks a lot like stuff from the Zion backcountry, only without some of the red sandstone hues - and the crowds near the trailheads.

After the initial stretch of sand, the first views of the awesome slickrock unfold as you drop down into Sand Creek following the cairns. Sand Creek had a good flow, and the water looked good. On the climb out of Sand Creek you encounter the first stretch of the old telephone cable that was last used in 1955, still hung through the trees along the route.

Then there was more sand.

Then around the corner was Death Hollow. It's got some amazing views. We passed two day hikers who went as far as the bottom of Death Hollow and went back at that point. The descent is moderately steep, and the second longest drop of the hike. At the bottom, the creek was flowing at about 3x the rate of Sand Creek. There's a great camping spot right there at the bottom, shaded with tall pines and the creek curving around the bend. The creek is dammed up there making a nice pool to cool down in. There's supposed to be poison ivy down there, but nothing had grown enough so far this spring to pose any threat. Near the exit, there's another nice campsite on a sand bench. The climb out is fairly steep. Near the top I made a 3 ft cairn man while I had some down time.

Then we hit Mamie Creek, it's less dramatic in scenic views, but still pretty nice. We spent the night just off trail, close to the bottom on the sandstone. Water isn't flowing there, but there are some pools & potholes with great looking water and nasty looking water right along the route.

Then another climb, and a significant stretch of sandstone as the route headed more eastward and climbs even further up, close to the starting elevation. Near the top of that climb I made another cairn man, right before another stretch of sand!

Finally Escalante comes into view, and the trail makes its last descent down slickrock. Halfway down there's a brief climb up a short hill after which you drop all the way to the valley floor, then follow Pine Creek through a short canyon where it joins up with the Escalante River, and you exit the mouth of that canyon and head back to the trailhead.

The trip was way cooler than the trip report, I'm just tired and wanted to get this written up.

More pics, motionbased report, map & elevation profile here: http://www.mikepearce.us/BoulderMailTrail/default.asp

Udink
04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Another nice TR Mike. :hail2thechief: If you ever get tired of going solo, gimme a holler. It looks like you tend to hike routes that are right up my alley.

BTW, I love this rock formation (http://www.mikepearce.us/BoulderMailTrail/img_2487.jpg?xy=489). (D'oh, for some reason the IMG tag doesn't work on it.)

accadacca
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
We Salute You!!! :rockon:

Jaxx
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Great trip report. Thanks for posting it.

Cirrus2000
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Excellent stuff, Mike. This is a trip I've been thinking about for a while now - I love the fact that it crosses drainages, rather than following them. I'll get there one of these trips...

I like the "cairn men" - inukshuk, as the Inuit call them. My friend Tony builds them everywhere we go. Those are some pretty fine examples you've made - I like the Incan one.

BTW, following in your footsteps in less than a week - off to the Maze. Apparently the Flint Switchbacks are open now...

mroy
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
UDink: I usually go with other people on my trips, mainly my cousin from Phoenix cause we're on the same level of stuff we want to do, and there's always two cars for shuttle trips. The Maze was the last trip I've done solo in a while. I'm open to going with other people, as long as it doesn't turn into a hassle with the planning and execution. That and half the time I might do something with only a little notice and it's hard to get people onboard stuff like that. I'm game for most trips if you want to do anything, especially if it's a Friday after work to Sunday night kind of trip.

Cirrus: Sweet! Have fun in The Maze! I've just been wanting to get back down there ever since I left. It's a cool area. I finally have a name for those cairn guys now! I attached a pic of the first and only inukshuk I ever found in the wild, but I really like them, and have wanted to make them ever since.

I want to get up into the area between the Hell's Backbone (??) road, and the Boulder Mail Trail, it just looks really, really cool.

I'm tempted to head back down this weekend and do the first stretch of the Escalante River from Escalante to the Highway 12 bridge... It took a little over 5 hours to get to Escalante going through Bryce, w/ the rush hour traffic all along the Wasatch Front from Ogden South, and 4 hours from Boulder back going through Loa and those other small towns, so it's not too bad of a drive.

Sombeech
04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I just ran into this photo again, and I've gotta say it's one of my favorite lately, the way the light spots are making the eyes. :cool2:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/img_0938.jpg

tanya
04-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Good Stuff Mike! :2thumbs:

mroy
04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
I just ran into this photo again, and I've gotta say it's one of my favorite lately, the way the light spots are making the eyes. :cool2:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/img_0938.jpg

Hey, thanks, I was totally going for that look, and after lots of time spent choosing the right number and types of filters, and testing the angles, waiting for clouds to move, etc... everything was perfect. :roflol: You know, sometimes you just get lucky.