PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 3-4 hour hike around Salt Lake

Dale Majors
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I am looking for a good 3-4 hour hike to go on in or around the salt lake area, I can drive an hour or so.... Is olympus doable now, or is there too much snow perhaps?

Thanks for any help,

Dale

Alex
04-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I haven't been up Olympus yet this year, but from the bottom of it it looks like you might hit a few patches of snow up top, but it's still doable. I did it last year with the full pack of snow and with out snow shoes, even though I brought them with me. The Olympus hike would take you longer than 3-4 hours, I guess that depends on your hiking speed. It took us about 9 hours round trip, but we are slow and fat :cool2:

http://utahbp.com/albums/olympus/IMG_1901.sized.jpg

gonzo
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
A few people over on Summit Post have summited Olympus over the past few weeks, and no one has complained about poor conditions. That's hardly a ringing endorsement, but it's better than nothing. I think a few people are planning on doing it Saturday, too.

I'm looking out my window right now at Oly and it looks pretty clear. I'd hit it.

Iceaxe
04-17-2007, 01:32 PM
If you can do Oly in 3 to 4 hours round trip you are my hero :hail2thechief:

Here is a good one for the next couple of weeks.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/frary.htm

enjoy :2thumbs:

Wasatch
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
If you don't mind snow go for Red Pine, Lake Blanche, Desolation Lake, Broads Fork to the Meadow, Grandeur Peak, Little Black Mountain. I believe it's suppose to snow tomorrow, but we'll see.

epek
04-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I hit Oly this year and took my wife and two of my boys, the young ones, we did do it in 6 hours round trip, but took a big lunch break. The ice at the top of tolcat was a bit slick, footing was a bit tricky.

Sombeech
04-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Dale!!!!! Where you been, man?

Dale Majors
04-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Awesome!
I will decide among those that were recommended. Scott was right, the replies come quick! I really appreciate the timely and informative responses.

Dale