PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Westwater Apr 14th

Alex
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
We ran the Westwater canyon at 5120 cfs. Was a blast, we managed to flip an 18 foot cataraft on the Sock It to Me rapid. Everyone made it out ok, and ended up losing a hat and a disposable camera. Weather was perfect!

Not much action shots due to the fact that most of it is on video (with my helmet cam), I will dump it to Youtube and post it here, once I can figure out how to edit it all.

accadacca
04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Awesome photos Kazak! :rockon: Thats looks like an epic trip! How did you move after eating those steaks? :lol8:

Alex
04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/L6jczFnfvW8

tanya
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Awesome! Tell us more about the trip!

Alex
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Youtube is taking it's time :(

Sombeech
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6jczFnfvW8&eurl=

Sombeech
04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Sweet Vid! You've definitely got the set up for that camera. :2thumbs:

accadacca
04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice video...I love seeing the mayhem, with people tripping all over themselves and yelling :lol8: And the Bon Jovi was a nice touch. :nono: :lol8:

tanya
04-17-2007, 06:51 AM
I bet those guys never forget Sock it to me! Looks like a fun trip... how did the guys do that got wet? How cold was the water? Where they scared or had it under control?

Exciting video :eek2:

Alex
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I bet those guys never forget Sock it to me! Looks like a fun trip... how did the guys do that got wet? How cold was the water? Where they scared or had it under control?

Exciting video :eek2:

Actually it was calmer than I expected. The third guy got washed up on the rocks right away. The same rocks that my boat hit. So he wasn't under water much. The other two guys were holding onto the boat as they came back up to surface. We had to rush to rescue them because 100 feet down was another big rapid so if we didn't catch those guys, they would have had to go through the class 3-4 rapid with an overturned raft :lol8:

This was a great experience for me, because I have never thought an 18 foot cataraft could be flipped like that. We had it packed totally wrong and had all the weight on the back. So it was VERY front light and couldn't make it over the wave. But from looking at all the other footage and seeing how light the cat was compared to the raft, I will stick with the raft from now on. The cat was too light and just surfed all the big waves, instead of breaking through them for some action.

So, are you coming down for the Friday trip, tanya? :nod:

tanya
04-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Was I invited?