PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Creek

price1869
04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Actually, that's "creak".

Fuzzy and Greyhair - I have the worst creak in my handlebars/headset ever since I replaced my fork. I've loosened and re tightened everything. What did I forget? It creaks when weight shifts. Can I grease the handlebar without causing myself issues.

I'm extremely irritated by creaks, rattles, and poor drivers.

Mtnman1830
04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
It creaks when weight shifts

Then don't shift your weight! :five:

Mtnbiker
04-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I have put a very small amount of grease around my bar before and I've never had a problem. I find when aluminum parts like seatpost/bars/cranks are creaking it's just because there's a small amount of dirt or dust or a grain of sand packed in there.

I'd bet if you pulled the stem cap off and cleaned the handlebar and stem throroughly that would solve the problem, with or without grease.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
04-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Actually, that's "creak".

Can I grease the handlebar without causing myself issues.

I'm extremely irritated by creaks, rattles, and poor drivers.

Yeah- The only noise should be Knobs scratching dirt-

I'd aviod greasing the actual clamping surfaces, just get 'em good & clean. Grease all threads & bolthead contacts. If the top of your steer-tube is cut crooked (read halfassed) make sure your top-cap's not botteming-out. Look close at your h'bar to see if there's a sharp rub-mark from the stem; that's NEVER good. If things are clean & smooth things will(should ) be quiet...

...maybe. :blahblah:

greyhair biker
04-16-2007, 07:14 PM
one thing I've done is to disassemble the parts and take at least a 400 grit or finer sandpaper to any rough parts & buff smooth...not the 'scoremarks' designed to 'hold' the part from turning, just the burrs & scratches. Then, and this is very important, take some alcohol on a clean rag and wipe the surfaces clean. Let dry and reassemble. This method almost always works & when it doesnt, I have found that the parts are damaged and should be replaced. Let us know if this works :2thumbs:

price1869
04-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys.