PDA

View Full Version : Increase Gas Mileage with Acetone

DiscGo
04-15-2007, 07:52 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/DiscGolfDiver/acetone.jpg

Acetone (CH3COCH3) is a product that can be purchased inexpensively in most locations around the world, such as in the common hardware, auto parts, or drug store. Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance -- as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

How it Works
Acetone:
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

How Much to Use

Add in tiny amounts from about one part per 5000 to one part per 3000, depending on the vehicle -- just a few ounces per ten gallons of gas. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent. Note that is around .78 cc per liter or one ounce per 10 gallons. Not more than three oz. per 10 gallons.

Here is an article about it, as well as a car results list:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

DiscGo
04-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I am about to drive some 3,000 miles to Anchorage so I was looking for gas tips online and this is what I found. I am still a little skeptical, but I find it hopeful.

DiscGo
04-15-2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Glockguy
04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I am about to drive some 3,000 miles to Anchorage so I was looking for gas tips online and this is what I found. I am still a little skeptical, but I find it hopeful.

That is an awesome drive. Yo will run into 2 places I spent a lot of time in up in B.C. Ft St John and Ft Nelson.

Muncho Lake is also along the way and is a beautiful lake. Stop off at the Liard Hotsprings if you can take a few minutes to relax...I talked to a guy that was involved with a mean bear attack there that killed 2 people.http://alpineclub-edm.org/accidents/accident.asp?id=737

The guy that ened up shooting the bear was Texan that was a tourist...he was charged with illegally carrying a gun over the border :ne_nau:

DiscGo
04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
It really is an awesome drive once you get past Edmonton and Calgary. I have been to Ft St John, and Ft Nelson and Liard before (I even placed a rock on the rock pile where the heat comes out for the lower hot spring, if that means anything to you). The last time I made this drive I wasn't sure that I'd ever do it again, so I'm really excited to go back.

I have read good and bad things about adding acetone to your gas tank, and I still can't decided if I'm going to or not.

Joe Gardner
04-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Sounds fishy...

The 'trick' to high MPGs = Driver slower & use cruise control when safe.

Have fun in Alaska, take lots of pics, and drop in and say hi when you can...

Iceaxe
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
If you believe any of the crap you read on websites about increased mileage or power through fuel additives you are an idiot.

Let me try and explain this really simple. If it will increase mileage or power every racer in the country already knows about it and is using it. Race teams spend millions each year trying to get one extra horsepower or squeeze and extra lap out of a tank of fuel, because both will result in race wins. If you understand engines you already know that gaining horsepower or gaining fuel mileage are accomplished in the same method.

I could go into great detail about octane ratings, compression ratio's, injectors and gearing. But I'll keep it simple and say if you want to increase mileage (or horsepower) the same old hot rodder tricks used for years are still the best. Free up your intake, free up your exhaust, advance your timing.

:five:

denaliguide
04-15-2007, 09:12 PM
If you believe any of the crap you read on websites about increased mileage or power through fuel additives you are an idiot.

Let me try and explain this really simple. If it will increase mileage or power every racer in the country already knows about it and is using it. Race teams spend millions each year trying to get one extra horsepower or squeeze and extra lap out of a tank of fuel, because both will result in race wins. If you understand engines you already know that gaining horsepower or gaining fuel mileage are accomplished in the same method.

I could go into great detail about octane ratings, compression ratio's, injectors and gearing. But I'll keep it simple and say if you want to increase mileage (or horsepower) the same old hot rodder tricks used for years are still the best. Free up your intake, free up your exhaust, advance your timing.

:five:

what he just said. and properly inflate your tires. enjoy the alcan. ill be making the same drive may 1, for the 8th time.

Mtnman1830
04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
:ne_nau: Get a motorcycle. :ne_nau:

Stuck N Utah
04-16-2007, 06:17 AM
The Myth busters tried this gas saving tip and it was a total bust.