PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Thunder Mountain - Current Trail Conditions

pskelley5
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
There's 14 people in our group and we are going to be down in Bryce Canyon on April 19 - 21, 2007, hiking and mountain biking.

We were hoping to ride Thunder Mountain, but not sure about current trail conditions.

Does anyone on this forum know what the current trail conditions might be?

Thanks in advance.

Ross
04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I heard tell it's pretty good. Don't quote me though.

Sombeech
04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure when the snow melts down there, but it's usually later than you'd think.

I'd call the Bryce Canyon ranger station. Sorry, I don't have a phone number for you.

Take lots of pictures! :2thumbs:

johnnyspoke
04-16-2007, 06:42 AM
My wife and I rode it last Friday. A little damp in the shade at the top, but other wise in great shape.

Mtnbiker
04-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Those are great pictures! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to ride this trail again :nod:

Sombeech
04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
My wife and I rode it last Friday. A little damp in the shade at the top, but other wise in great shape.

Sweet! I'm very jealous. I've been looking at this trail for a few years, trying to get down there.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll throw this in the Trail Report index.

johnnyspoke
04-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Cool. I guess I ought to put up a few more pictures then....

We took the paved bike path about 5 miles to the top of Red Canyon, where we followed a dirt road for a couple of miles to trailhead. The first few miles of trail wind thru several hollows---lots of up and down here. After we hit the red rock, it was mostly down...some of the switchbacks are pretty tricky. This would definitely have to be one of my favorite rides.

Sombeech
04-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Nice! Pictures are much appreciated. I'll have to add this thread to the Google Earth project too.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6431

BTW, excellent first posts. Nice way to come on to the forum with trail reports and pics. :2thumbs: Welcome.

johnnyspoke
04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty much a lurker and forgot I hadn't posted here before.

greyhair biker
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Now that's some cool stuff! I didnt know you could ride a bike on those trails.. NOW we got another set of trails to ride!

accadacca
04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Thats looks SIIIIICK!!!! :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
04-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Sweet photos - thanks, johnnyspoke!

I remember driving by here on the way from Zion to Bryce last October. I'd printed out the "Quick & Dirty" trail info from utahmountainbiking.com, because we'd considered bringing our bikes along - sadly we didn't. Perhaps another time! Looks so purty...

tanya
04-17-2007, 06:55 AM
There's 14 people in our group and we are going to be down in Bryce Canyon on April 19 - 21, 2007, hiking and mountain biking.

We were hoping to ride Thunder Mountain, but not sure about current trail conditions.

Does anyone on this forum know what the current trail conditions might be?

Thanks in advance.

Yesterday it was suppose to rain, but so far its still looking dry. Nights are FREEZING right now in that area!

tanya
04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Great photos! I have been trying to get some bike photos for that area out of this group, but none of these guys seem to have done that ride!

johnnyspoke
04-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I hope to be headed back for a couple of days toward the end of the month...if the weather holds. I'm taking a buddy with me and we plan to do Casto/Cassidy/Losee one of the days, if we have any decent pictures I'll post a few up.