PDA

View Full Version : When do trails in the Uintahs open

Stuck N Utah
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I see there are several trails in the mountains east of Kamas, does anyone know the aerliest a guy would want to venture out that way?

Scott P
04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
For higher elevations in a year with normal snowpack, wait until late June or early July. Riding the trails while wet can cause a lot of damage. There is usually a lot of mud or standing water on the higher trails (such as the upper sections of Garnres Fork, Norway Flats, or Upper Setting) until Late June or so, but this year is below normal snowpack wise.

Stuck N Utah
04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info I'd like to take the atv back in there and then hike in a few more miles once the snow melts. Looks like a Beautiful area, can't wait to explore it.

Sombeech
04-17-2007, 09:04 PM
There are some really cool trails in the East Fork of the Bear River area.

Nick Danger
04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I see there are several trails in the mountains east of Kamas ...

That's on the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Kamas Ranger District. It'd be best to contact the Kamas RD, and ask them about current trail conditions, seasonal closures, and so on. Their phone number is 435-783-4338. Also see:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/unit/kamas/

There's a "Summer Travel Map" linked from the above site, as well as other information on ATV trails listed under "Recreation Activities -- ATV / OHV / Riding". All OHV use is "limited to designated trails" on the WCNF, so you'll need the Travel Map to see which trails and roads are open to ATVs.

Nick Danger
04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
There are some really cool trails in the East Fork of the Bear River area.

That area's on the Evanston RD of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, and is also known as the "Lily Lake Trail System". See:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/unit/mtnviewevanston/

There's a Travel Map for the Evanston / Mountain View RDs. You could stop by and pick one up, or call and have them send one. They should have Travel Maps for all the WCNF Ranger Districts at the Supervisor's Office. You could call them an get Travel Maps for Kamas and Evanston / Mountain View RDs. I beleive the Travel Maps are free.