PDA

View Full Version : Alaska to Utah

Stuck N Utah
04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Just moved down here from Homer AK and having trouble adjusting to civilized life and authorized trails I like to make my own.

DiscGo
04-12-2007, 06:06 AM
I love that this picture has fireweed in the background. I'm actually about to make the reverse trip (Utah to Alaska). I'm going up to Anchorage next week until October. I don't know what kind of time you have off the base if you are at Hill, but Utah is so awesome! I hope you are able to enjoy some of the awesome activities around here, and I hope you enjoy this site!

scoutabout
04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Just moved down here from Homer AK and having trouble adjusting to civilized life and authorized trails I like to make my own.

I'm having a hard time giving you the benefit of the doubt. First, your name "stuck n utah" makes me think you don't want to be here. Utah is not a bad place to be "stuck." It's not Alaska and it's not Texas (where I'm from), but it has it's nice qualities. Give it a chance. Don't presume Utah sucks, just as I won't assume you're an idiot (details below).

We don't make our own trails in Utah. If you like to do that, then you need to sell your atv today. Motorized access is under constant attack here in the lower 48, and off-trail activity, trail-blazing, and other irresponsible behavior is the number one cause for having trails/roads closed.

I encourage you to look into Tread Lightly practices (www.treadlightly.org). Be careful about trail blazing or acting like a fool on your atv. That kind of activity can get your arse kicked out on our public lands.

So be a responsible wheeler, enjoy what Utah offers, and welcome!

rockgremlin
04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the site!! :2thumbs:

Your boyfriend has a pretty sweet ATV!

Stuck N Utah
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I actually don't want to be here, nothing against utah but I was born and bread for Alaska and I'm having serious withdrawls. I can't wait to see what utah has to offer and don't mind staying on trails as long as there challenging and get a little muddy from time to time.

scoutabout
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I actually don't want to be here, nothing against utah but I was born and bread for Alaska and I'm having serious withdrawls.

Well, Alaska is sweet. No doubt about it. Utah has its own uniqueness to offer. Don't knock it too much until you try it. Two thirds of the state is public land with thousands of miles of legal OHV trails to enjoy.

I can't wait to see what utah has to offer and don't mind staying on trails as long as there challenging and get a little muddy from time to time.

Hopefully, the insertion of the phrase "as long as" was a slip. There's NO excuse EVER for driving/riding off trail.

DiscGo
04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I actually don't want to be here, nothing against utah but I was born and bread for Alaska and I'm having serious withdrawls. I can't wait to see what utah has to offer and don't mind staying on trails as long as there challenging and get a little muddy from time to time.

Layton / Hill AFB is alright. I would mostly recommend Southern Utah. It is nothing like Alaska, but it is incredible all the same. I have spent 6 summers in Southeast Alaska and I love it. You just have to be able to appreciate different types of beauty.

Stuck N Utah
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback, and don't worry I have no plans of going off the trail, I know how that can affect 4 wheeling. So whats the nearest southern riding area, I'm in the military so I'm poor and gas is expensive.

scoutabout
04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
There are some good places up north as well, but mostly in the summer. Right now, a good place to go exploring via ATV is 5 Mile Pass. It is easy to find. Travel south on I-15. From Hill AFB it'll be about a 60+ minute drive. Take Highway 73 and head west. Follow Highway 73 out through Lehi for about 15 miles. You'll come to an OHV unloading area with a sign labeled "5 Mile Pass Special Recreation Area." Literally, you CAN'T miss it. It's open travel in most of the area, so you can do a lot of riding and exploring out there. Not exactly scenic, but fun and full of old mines and history.

Once the snow melts (end of May early June) you can go to American Fork Canyon or the Uintas above Kamas.

HEADHUNTER
04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I actually don't want to be here

Then why did you join the military? Did you not realize that you'd be leaving Alaska? I know the recruiters don't tell us the full story, but come on - you had to have known :haha:

Hey - it could be worse - I was STUCK in Minot ND for 9 months after spending two wonderful years in southern Germany. :ne_nau:

DiscGo
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
That puppy on that quad is about the cutest picture I've ever seen.

accadacca
04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to uutah.com!! :2thumbs:

R
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Just last week I shot a feature on a guy from Homer, Alaska who was planning to fly his family around the world in a Cessna 206. He and I had lots of pilot talk. He seemed like a really nice guy. Nice Austrian wife, too, and cute kids. Here is the article...

http://www.adaeveningnews.com/archivesearch/local_story_099095518.html

-Richard

Stuck N Utah
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I actually don't want to be here

Then why did you join the military? Did you not realize that you'd be leaving Alaska? I know the recruiters don't tell us the full story, but come on - you had to have known :haha:

Hey - it could be worse - I was STUCK in Minot ND for 9 months after spending two wonderful years in southern Germany. :ne_nau:

I joined the AF in california AK was my second assignment. I was there for 3 years got married and will be back in a little over a year when my enlistment is over.

fourtycal
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Good to have you here :thumb: My brother lives in Fairbanks so I don't have much of an excuse for never visiting but hey, Utah keeps me busy. Let us know when you are headed out riding, if it's an evening or weekend I might be in.

Stuck N Utah
04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
I think I may head down to five mile pass sat morning and give it a go. Thanks for all the input, this site is really turning out to be helpful already.