PDA

View Full Version : Is this goofy or worthy

epek
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Fairly new to the sight, but not to the wasatch. I have pin pointed six peaks that I will summit this year, I call them the wasatch six. So far, I have two down and four to go. Grandeur, Olympus, Twin, Lone, Box Elder and Timpanogas. Gandeur and Olympus are the two I have hit so far, Twin and Lone are both two day summit bids, I did Lone last year and it was about 14 hours round trip from the Draper, Corner Canyon parking lot. Anyway, just something I enjoy doing, I have gone on over 120 deep and steeps into the Wasatch over the past two years, and love to be in the hills, but there is something special about stepping on top. Last year I topped Olympus, Raymond, the Nob, many spots between Little and Big, and stopped just shy of Twin from the Little side because of conditions, only to find out the next day those two guys, fell to I think one death and one decent injury, so glad I saw the danger and backed off. Very unstable.

CarpeyBiggs
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Definitely worthy. Let me know when you go after Box Elder. It is on my list of Utah Valley's Seven Peaks. Hoping to bag those all this summer. Honestly though, I think Lone and Twins can be done in one day, just get an early start.

epek
04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I did do it in one day, but two is better than one, and I am aging, or at least my knees are.

Wasatch
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Don't forget Nebo and the Pheifferhorn, Red Baldy, White Baldy, Sundial.

gonzo
04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Sundial looks pretty exposed. Can you even get up there without climbing gear?

CarpeyBiggs
04-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Sundial can be approached much easier from behind it. The one face is very exposed, but it is more manageable from behind. Though, I've never done it personally.

epek
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I will probably do a few of those, but you might notice that my mentioned peaks were all available from the front. Kind of the I15/I215 peaks.

Wasatch
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, Sundial can be approached much easier from behind it. The one face is very exposed, but it is more manageable from behind. Though, I've never done it personally.

Never done it yet, but I know alot of people who have. You start at the Lake Blanche trail. I do know there is some exposure, but it's not too bad, but that is relative to only you.

Wasatch
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I will probably do a few of those, but you might notice that my mentioned peaks were all available from the front. Kind of the I15/I215 peaks.

Nebo is off I-15 then take the Nebo Scenic road to the trailhead. Red Baldy, take the White Pine trail and then some boulder hopping to the peak. Not sure to White Baldy, but the ridge run to American Fork Peak should get you there also. Pheifferhorn from the Red Pine trailhead.

Mtnman1830
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I am trying for the highest peak in each of Utah's counties, as well as the peaks above 13,000'. I agree with you about the feeling of standing on top.

epek
07-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Four down two to go. I did Twin last week and Lone yesterday. I did do them both in only a day. Twin I went up Broads and out Mill B South from above Lake Blanche. Lone I did a thousand yards of bushwacking on the decent through thick, steep scrub oak. I tried a short cut, but will never do that again. Lone is a lot easier from the North side of the upper Cathedral bowl than the south side (Which I did the last trip). 11251 at the very summit. Now on to Box Elder next week and I will take the family up Timp to cap off this years goal.

CarpeyBiggs
07-09-2007, 09:05 AM
What TH did you start at for Lone?

epek
07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I went up the Corner Canyon road to the gate, parked, went up Jacobs Ladder, and put my knees into my chest until I got to Enis, then followed the North trail of Karens to the summit.

Iceaxe
07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I went up the Corner Canyon road to the gate, parked, went up Jacobs Ladder,

The gate is Corner Canyon is currently open and the road is open to the Ghost Falls TH (formerly Jacobs ladder TH). When the gate is open you cut off 5 miles of total road walking. Only problem is the gate doesn't open until 6am and closes at 10pm.

CarpeyBiggs
07-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow. Surprised to hear they open and close it daily. Seems strange to me...

Anyways, thanks for the info Shane.

epek
07-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I went thru it at 5:00am Sunday morning.

gonzo
07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
They say that the Neff's Canyon gate is closed from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, too. But, if you take a look at the gate it's pretty obvious it hasn't moved in years.

epek
07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
So, what you are saying is that we are supposed to be on the honor system and I have no honor.

Iceaxe
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I got the gate info from Draper Parks last week. I'm in the process of updating my Lone Peak web page. The Parks department called and said.... hey, we copied all the trails off your map for the new map we are putting together, hope you don't mind.....

:lol8:

I guess its better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission

Lone Peak
http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

:popcorn:

CarpeyBiggs
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I got the gate info from Draper Parks last week. I'm in the process of updating my Lone Peak web page. The Parks department called and said.... hey, we copied all the trails off your map for the new map we are putting together, hope you don't mind.....

:lol8:

I guess its better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission

Lone Peak
http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

:popcorn:

Nice... Just tell them you demand a key to the gate in exchange...

epek
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Five down one to go. I just knocked off Box Elder and I have to say this was one huge hike. I don't know if it was because a little sore from the week end, or if this was just a ton of hiking. Most of it on a great trail, I did bush whack a bit comming off the summit, but for the most part just a huge hike and a lot of elevation gaining on this hike. I left at six a.m. and got back to the truck at 1:00pm. This is a great peak to summit, it has a notebook cache on top, and it is really a great summit as far as the view is concerned. You have a great view of the Little Cottonwood Canyon rim, and all of the back of Timp with lakes a plenty in sight. Including one of the best almost entire views of Utah Lake. I have Timp to do and will have reached my little goal before the upcomming seasons begin. I did have to delay a bit because of what I deemed unstable snow on Twin and Lone, but it's all a cake walk with out the snow.

epek
07-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I just hit Timp, 6 of 6, and I will give a summary when I get some time.

It was a cool goal, and it was fun accomplishing it.