PDA

View Full Version : North Fork (Virgin) Runoff

moabfool
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
So, is the North Fork of the Virgin going to have any appreciable runoff this year? It's been in the 90's down there and flow is still below 100 cfs.
Snowpack is only 20% in the Virgin drainage. Looks great for canyoneering, but those folks could be in a world of hurt from a water supply standpoint.

CarpeyBiggs
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I was down there two weeks ago, and the guys at the guide shop didn't think the river would hit much over 120-140 cfs this spring, unless there is some major storms that hit. Probably means the Narrows won't get shut down during spring run off this year, at least not for multiple weeks like it has in the past.

tuffchuck2000
04-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I work on Cedar Mountain, above the North Fork Drainage. It is really bad. We are done with Spring Runoff for the most part already. Hardly any snow even in the higher elevations. Last year this time the roads were really muddy still and some impassable. I think peak flows are done from snow. The only hope for a good kyak trip down the virgin is a good rain storm.

tanya
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I work on Cedar Mountain, above the North Fork Drainage. It is really bad. We are done with Spring Runoff for the most part already. Hardly any snow even in the higher elevations. Last year this time the roads were really muddy still and some impassable. I think peak flows are done from snow. The only hope for a good kyak trip down the virgin is a good rain storm.

Where do you work on Cedar Mountain? That is one of my favorite places!

Iceaxe
04-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Just a wild guess I'll pull out of thin air together with past years of experience...... I'm guessing The Narrows will be closed for only 4 or 5 days this spring because of high stream flows. YMMV

Brian in SLC
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Just a wild guess I'll pull out of thin air together with past years of experience...... I'm guessing The Narrows will be closed for only 4 or 5 days this spring because of high stream flows. YMMV

We should do a poll, and see who's guesses get closest.

My bet is that it won't make it above 120cfs this season for any sustained runoff. Only thing thats going to tilt the flow to high is a pretty healthy rain storm. Mid April, and we're practically flatlining so far below the 120, makes me wonder if it'll come up at all. Yikes!

The creek flow in LCC and BCC is amazingly low...

-Brian in SLC

moabfool
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Now I don't feel quite as bad that I didn't learn how to roll the kayak I bought at the BD swap last fall.

tuffchuck2000
04-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Where do you work on Cedar Mountain? That is one of my favorite places!

To some this is good to some bad. I work for an engineering company and we have been putting the water system in to the Village, Strawberry Valley, Swains Creek and Harris Flat. I spend time up there working with property owners, the Forest Service and the Contractors the Kane County Water Conservancy District hires to do the work. I lived up there last summer and spent time exploring as much as I could. Mammoth Caves, Mammoth Springs, the Ice Caves, Cascade Falls, Strawberry Point, etc. There is still more to see, hopefully this summer.

Brian in SLC
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Looks like a little bit of rain on the 25th and 26th of April may have pushed the CFS at the NF of the Virgin over the 120cfs limit for possibly the only time this season...

Low runoff continues throughout the state...

-Brian in SLC

moabfool
05-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Yah, it looked a little higher and muddier than I like to see it when I was there over the weekend, but well below the raging torrent it was in '05.

chabidiah
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Does anyone one know the current cfm? I am headed down this weekend and i hope to do mystery.

moabfool
05-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Does anyone one know the current cfm? I am headed down this weekend and i hope to do mystery.

Two weblinks that'll really help you out.

http://zionpermits.nps.gov

and accessible from the zionpermits page (look in the links on the left of the zionpermits page under "N. Fork Virgin - Springdale, UT"):

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=09405500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010,00095,72020

It looks like your biggest concern with doing Mystery will be getting in line early enough on Friday or Saturday morning to snag one of the coveted permits.