PDA

View Full Version : How Do You All Feel About Imus's Situation?

JP
04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
:ne_nau:

HEADHUNTER
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Pretty immature on his end - and racist. I think he should have been canned. :nod:

denaliguide
04-09-2007, 08:12 PM
fortunately it's still legal to be a idiot.

nefarious
04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Tough call. What he said sounds terrible, but I don't think he intended it as a racist slur. I think Imus should be allowed to apologize and be forgiven, Mel Gibson he aint. Then again, I could be wrong because I haven't followed this story.
:ne_nau:

R
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
So much of the time the best advice in most situations is simply to shut the f--- up!

HEADHUNTER
04-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Howard Cosell was canned for calling a running back a "little monkey" on MNF - no racial slur intended from him. Imus did the same thing.

Glockguy
04-09-2007, 10:35 PM
The only racist thing is that the black community doesn't freak out at Snoop Dogg for the same thing that Don says.

Sombeech
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Imus has been controversial for a while. I don't think it's anything different, you just have to look at the people who are really pushing for his termination.

Both Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who are the big publicity pushers in the Imus case, have both had their racist statements.

JP
04-09-2007, 10:41 PM
The only racist thing is that the black community doesn't freak out at Snoop Dogg for the same thing that Don says.
Exactly, why is it OK for them and not for us? It's OK for them to use terms like Cracker :ne_nau:
I'm by no means a fan of Imus, but Rev. Sharpton and Jackson are nothing but hypocrites :nono:

sparker1
04-10-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm pissed that Imus goes around apologizing now. He said it, he meant it, don't apologize. Howard Stern wouldn't kiss ass over this.

packfish
04-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Basically agreeing with JP and Sparker. I wonder what would happen if you said the same things Chris Rock says. Jesse and AL have no room to say anything. If we are going to call the politically correct police on someone then call it on everyone with no regard to race. I don't like Imus- never have but he is getting served up like a sacrificial goat. When society as a whole starts calling people like Rev. Al and Jesse what they really are then we will all be better off. Jesse is far worse than Al.

Rev. Coyote
04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Imus is a joke -- has been for a long time. This is another situation where a drug-addled crank is allowed airtime to spout off nonsense from the safety of a secure radio station. What Imus and a lot of others like him needs is a good old-fashioned ass-whipping.

The ideologies of the radio talk show host and the drive-by sniper are about the same.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
How do I feel about this? If frustrates :frustrated: me as usual, because a person of color can say whatever they want...calling a white person a cracker, honky, or whatnot, and yet if a white person tries to say the same, they are racist. I think that the word "racist" is the most overused cop-out that the black leaders LOVE to jump on whenever they can. Calling someone racist is the best modern day scapegoat to strike fear and malice towards others. It is almost a 100% guarantee to be FRONT page news.

Where was Jesse Jackson and the all-mighty Rev. Al Sharpton when Mayor Ray Nagin said that New Orleans was meant to be a chocolate city, God wanted it to be a chocolate city, and he intended for it to be a chocolate city??? ACLU didn't say anything other than it was a "goofball" comment. Pretty easy on him they were. If I said that San Diego was meant to be a white city, I would be lambasted and have to move to Argentina to save from being hung by my balls to say the least...probably death! Where were the leaders when Dennis Rodman said "Babe Ruth is nothing but a fat white honky?" When Chris Rock and other black comedians say the word "cracker" or "honky" when referring to a white person. The list goes on and on.

It is a double standard plain and simple, and all that Jesse Jackson and "the Rev." wait to do is trounce on any white person who even remotely says anything that sounds offensive to a person of color. Both of them are nothing but a piece of garbage, and even MLK jr. would be embarrassed by their double standards. They are making things more tense and worse by their biased antics.

nefarious
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Imus has been controversial for a while. I don't think it's anything different, you just have to look at the people who are really pushing for his termination.

Both Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who are the big publicity pushers in the Imus case, have both had their racist statements.Jesse Jackson is sanctimonious and a racist. When he's not complaining about having to hear too much about the Holocaust or wondering whether Jewish reporters can be objective, he's crapping on about "Hymie" (Jews) and "Hymietown" (New York). Sharpton seems more level-headed but I don't know that much about him.

Nobody should be fooled into associating fools like Jackson with Martin Luther King Jr. who clearly supported tolerance for Jewish people and, when pressed on the subject of Zionism, stated that anti-Zionism was anti-Semitic. It often is.
:2thumbs:

nefarious
04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
...and even MLK jr. would be embarrassed by their double standards. They are making things more tense and worse by their biased antics.True, except you could probably leave out the "even." MLK wasn't into racism against white people or anyone else.

Sombeech
04-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Imus is a joke -- has been for a long time.

I am not an Imus fan. I've never listened to him.

But....

If a person truly is a joke, he will reap what he sows, without the efforts of Sharpton and Jackson. If he is a joke, the people who are outraged should be embarrassed that they let a "joke" have so much control over their emotions.

Just ignore the dude. Don't give him more publicity.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
...and even MLK jr. would be embarrassed by their double standards. They are making things more tense and worse by their biased antics.True, except you could probably leave out the "even." MLK wasn't into racism against white people or anyone else.

IMO...MLK was not a racist and was a brilliant man. I was not trying to compare "the Revs" to MLK. No comparision. They are nothing more than two hypocritical idiots with a microphone who have a love to use the word "racist" as much as humanly possible as long as it gets their whining asses on the news.

Rev. Coyote
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
How do I feel about this? If frustrates :frustrated: me as usual, because a person of color can say whatever they want...calling a white person a cracker, honky, or whatnot, and yet if a white person tries to say the same, they are racist. I think that the word "racist" is the most overused cop-out that the black leaders LOVE to jump on whenever they can. Calling someone racist is the best modern day scapegoat to strike fear and malice towards others. It is almost a 100% guarantee to be FRONT page news.

Where was Jesse Jackson and the all-mighty Rev. Al Sharpton when Mayor Ray Nagin said that New Orleans was meant to be a chocolate city, God wanted it to be a chocolate city, and he intended for it to be a chocolate city??? ACLU didn't say anything other than it was a "goofball" comment. Pretty easy on him they were. If I said that San Diego was meant to be a white city, I would be lambasted and have to move to Argentina to save from being hung by my balls to say the least...probably death! Where were the leaders when Dennis Rodman said "Babe Ruth is nothing but a fat white honky?" When Chris Rock and other black comedians say the word "cracker" or "honky" when referring to a white person. The list goes on and on.

It is a double standard plain and simple, and all that Jesse Jackson and "the Rev." wait to do is trounce on any white person who even remotely says anything that sounds offensive to a person of color. Both of them are nothing but a piece of garbage, and even MLK jr. would be embarrassed by their double standards. They are making things more tense and worse by their biased antics.

None of this (however true it may be) blots out the fact that Imus made a wildly racist statement. I don't think any sensible person could argue he didn't.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM

None of this (however true it may be) blots out the fact that Imus made a wildly racist statement. I don't think any sensible person could argue he didn't.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. Some people can call each other names and it is ok, if others do the same, it may be considered racist. Language interpretation is very subjective to each individual. Depends on how sensitive you are I guess. I could say "Mississippi sucks" and some may consider that racist because it has a large percentage of blacks. Many could be offended by a person of color using the word "Redneck" to describe country people. This could go on forever. Only point I was trying to make is that "the revs" are media-hogging idiots, and are biased as far as their actions. Let me see them even out the field and go after people regardless of color that say inapproppriate things...they should have asked for Ray Nagin's resignation about 18 months ago!

epek
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Racism is a terrible issue if people are being discriminated because of their race, if they are missing out on opportunities because one person made a decision to treat them different, or cause them hardship simply because of their race. When someone makes a statement like this, that sounded more to me like a comment on tattoos, not on race, I can't see the harm, so I don't see the foul. Are any of these girls going to be singled out and stopped from going into a professional league or have their basketball priveledges cut short? Were these girls going for a different look with their tats? Were they trying to look like Phi Sappa Gappa, sorority sisters, or were they trying to go for the look of gang banger sisters. He called it, shouldn't have, but did, and I agree, going back and appologizing makes a bigger deal of it than it was. Could he have simpley said, "I was just commenting as to their apperance and not in any way I can think of discriminating against them because of their race, next." ?

packfish
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Sure- a senial old man made a racists remark with out thinking about it. Personally I never thought IMUS had the brain waves to do that. This still reeks no matter how you look at. I don't care what happens to IMUS but I do care how this society is being manipulated by assholes like Sharpton and Jackson who breed racism. Without it they have no financial support.
Treat everyone the same and call a spade a spade and then we can actually say we have made some progress. But MLK would be appalled if he were alive today and see where we had a chance to see that dream but people like Rev AL and Jackass have pushed it back a few decades.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't care what happens to IMUS but I do care how this society is being manipulated by assholes like Sharpton and Jackson who breed racism. Without it they have no financial support.

Well said.... :2thumbs:

epek
04-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't care what happens to IMUS but I do care how this society is being manipulated by assholes like Sharpton and Jackson who breed racism. Without it they have no financial support.

Well said.... :2thumbs:

Well said by saying well said to what was said.

Rev. Coyote
04-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Just ignore the dude. Don't give him more publicity.

This is what a black journalist working for the Washington Post just said during the noon news. It's good advice. You're in good company.

chickenlicken
04-10-2007, 11:47 AM

IMO...MLK was not a racist and was a brilliant man. I was not trying to compare "the Revs" to MLK. No comparision. They are nothing more than two hypocritical idiots with a microphone who have a love to use the word "racist" as much as humanly possible as long as it gets their whining asses on the news.

I totally agree with your statement. All I ever hear from these guys is how racist everyone is. If that is your whole goal in life is to point out racism, doesn't that make you racist as well?

Brewhaha
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
This may be an impossible question for anyone here to answer, but I am wondering what black people feel about Sharpton and Jackson. Do they revere them? Do they view their work as beneficial? Do they see them as extremists?

JP
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
A lot of them do on the East Coast :ne_nau:

Rev. Coyote
04-10-2007, 01:32 PM

Yes, that's what I hear. Kind of like most of us honkies don't feel David Duke speaks for us.

HEADHUNTER
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Yes, that's what I hear. Kind of like most of us honkies don't feel David Duke speaks for us.

Is David Duke still around? Not that I'm that curious.

Rev. Coyote
04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
that curious.

Damn if I know. World will be a nicer place when he stops sucking up valuable air.

nefarious
04-10-2007, 06:23 PM
that curious.

Damn if I know. World will be a nicer place when he stops sucking up valuable air.He took a quick trip to the Middle East a while back to crap on about evil Jews. His anti-Semitic rant was very well received by the government and people of Syria.

RugerShooter
04-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Nappy Headed Hoes, :roflol: :roflol:
I think this might be my new saying I love it :roflol:

Sombeech
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Nappy Headed Hoes, :roflol: :roflol:
I think this might be my new saying I love it :roflol:

So, is he talking about white chicks with dreadlocks, or black girls with weaves?

I never heard black, white, negro, cracker, or any other racial slur. I guess since blacks say "Hoes" more, it must be black.

nefarious
04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
So, is he talking about white chicks with dreadlocks, or black girls with weaves?

I never heard black, white, negro, cracker, or any other racial slur. I guess since blacks say "Hoes" more, it must be black.

From Urban Dictionary.com: nappy- one of African descent who has tightly coiled unkempt hair; one with locks of hair that are tightly curled, unwashed, and uncombed

nappy- tightly coiled / curled unaltered hair. Coiled hair in its natural state as found on people of African descent who do not chemically alter their hair texture.

Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nappy)

Sombeech
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM
nappy- tightly coiled / curled unaltered hair. Coiled hair in its natural state as found on people of African descent who do not chemically alter their hair texture.

Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nappy)

But the Cracker Dictionary defines Nappy as a white homeless chick.

epek
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't know the exact quote, but wasn't it something like... they LOOK like .......? Which goes to these individuals apperance, which does not go to what he thought they were, just what he thought they looked like. I think if the truth be told, this was the look they were going for.

Death
04-11-2007, 10:21 AM
This remark is not racist, there are more than a few white girls on Rutgers team. What he said upsets me because he is calling all those girls on the team nappy little hoes. These girls are not even grown up yet and he is taking shots at them. It was a completely blanket statement and to me shows how he feels about women in general more than he is racist, but we all know he is racist if you look at the things he has said in the past its obvious.
I cant stand al or jessie but I do know Sharpton has taken a stand on rap in the past.
I think the biggest thing here is that we need to shut all these people up who are spouting hateful speech and demeaning women. It worries me a great deal that my daughter will grow up in a world of rappers that constantly talk down to girls and talk show hosts that only know how to spue hate on the world.

Shan
04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't even know how Imus is. I googled it and I still don't know who it is! Wow.

Sombeech
04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
What he said upsets me because he is calling all those girls on the team nappy little hoes.

OK. Here it is. Here's the comment that was made, which was in response to SID ROSENBURG'S HARDCORE HO'S comment. Everybody seems to have missed that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF9BjB7Bzr0

Rev. Coyote
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Unreal! Here's Imus caught ON CAMERA trying to apologize to one of the Rutgers basketball players at her home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvHiTaafjw

Sombeech
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Unreal! Here's Imus caught ON CAMERA trying to apologize to one of the Rutgers basketball players at her home.

Now THAT'S one nappy headed ho.

sparker1
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll never get it. Leno, Letterman and others say much worse things about people, especially the President of the US, with no reaction from anyone. Our standards of political correctness is somewhat tilted, I think.

Death
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
What exactly does leno say that is worse than that?

psl53
04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
These where college students, The Pres is a big boy, I think he can take it and if not he can alway sick Cheney on them.
Peter

Rev. Coyote
04-12-2007, 07:27 AM
I go back to my original assertion: Imus' comments were rude and out-of-line. Everyone wants to take the argument to, "Well, so-an-so did it, and no one got mad..." etc. etc.

Not the point. Point is Imus shot his big mouth off and is reaping the rewards. Oh, and for the record, I live in the SOUTH, and "nappy-headed" is a racial epithet around here. An old one. I was suprised how obscure that term seems to the rest of the world.

But here is the point -- if Imus or anyone else made a public statement like that about my daughter, I'd want a piece of his ass. Listen to the comment in those terms, forget about Sharpton and the other clowns, and then decide...would you be OK with some saying that about your kid?

I thought not.

asdf
04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone heard of Chris Rock.......

sparker1
04-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Not defending Imus. He's a jerk and has made a living being a jerk. He has been offensive to so many people over the years without reaction, he thinks he can say anything with impunity. what he said was wrong, no question, and I don't mind seeing him pay dearly. However, the American public, led by the media, have a double standard for tasteful or politically correct humor. Black comedians (Chris Rock for one) can say whatever they want about their race or any other, everyone laughs and no one reacts negatively. Any comedian can say vicious things about any public figure and they are expected to take it. They usually do, but where is the public outcry? Why doesn't the ACLU do something about that? Where is the uproar over the mistreatment of the guys on the Duke lacrosse team? sure the white prosecutor will lose his career (as well he should for over-reacting, with support from the brothers), but what about the young lady who started it all?

Rev. Coyote
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Where is the uproar over the mistreatment of the guys on the Duke lacrosse team? sure the white prosecutor will lose his career (as well he should for over-reacting, with support from the brothers), but what about the young lady who started it all?

If you haven't heard about the outrage and uproar over this, you're not listening. There's plenty. Of course, here in VA, I'm closer to the burner. There's a call for justice for those boys.

Curious ... what do you mean by "with support from the brothers?"

epek
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks somebeech, that was the first time I actually heard what it was he said. He actually did call them directly nappy headed ho's. He was out of line, not out of charicter however. He was doing his job as an entertainer, and speaking his mind as a talk show host, not making political speaches and enacting laws that affect people. He did make his bed however, and I am sure he didn't have the forsight as to who, how and what the reaction would be. I will add this, I don't have a tatoo, I have never been moved to get one, I am 47 years old and have just simply felt like a t-shirt does the same thing for me, or a hat. If I want to put out the image that I like to archery hunt, I throw on an archery hunting hat instead of tatooing an archery hunting image on my arm or shoulder. I like tatoos, and think many of them look very good, but when someone makes the decision to tat up, they are certainly going for a look or a statement. There is no doubt in my mind that the general, (not specific to individual players) genre of basketball, is the hip hop, gang banger culture, and in that culture, the women of the gangs are refered to in very degrading terms. When you look at AI, and say a prison gang leader, what is the difference in image? Not much if any, and I would say that Iverson is going for that look and shouldn't ever take offense when someone says he looks like a gang banger. These girls made a conscience decision to put an image out there by permantly tatooing cultural images onto their bodies and Imus was in a moment of describing what he thought they looked like. The comment that they looked like the Toronto Raptors only added to this. Now these girls show up at a press conference with a different look, jackets covering up their tats, and all gussied up and saying that Imus was mean to them, and they felt bad that someone refered to them as something they almost were trying to look like. They probably were trying to look like the Toronto Raptors, and didn't realize that someone was going to notice.

Death
04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I have a few tats but I am far from looking like a gang banger. I don't think that basketball has the gang banger look at all unless you consider all the current African American styles as gang banger. Not knowing much about the Rutgers basketball team I looked some pics up on the Internet and I don't see that they look any different than any other basketball team?
I don't really care if Imus was to get fired or not but I hope that in some way this is a change in the publics opinion, and we can start to try to get rid of all the crude insulting people on TV and radio who get rich talking sh1t.

Sombeech
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
If people say stupid things, their ratings will either drop or raise.

If ratings drop, that should be the consequence of saying something stupid. Yes, it was a stupid comment. He apologized the day after, and several times after that.

I honestly believe his ratings will go up after this. I also believe Rosie O's ratings aren't quite in the toilet yet because Bill O'Reilly won't shut up about her.

Let Capitalism do it's thing.

Death
04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I am a strong believer in the power of capitalism as well, but I think sometimes people get out of control about some things. If Imus had just done this once then I would care less but this guys gets in trouble more than Howard Stern, so obviously when he sais sorry he must not be or he would have stopped doing this a long time ago.

Sombeech
04-12-2007, 10:42 AM
So, should he be stopped for some other reason than his ratings falling?

Rev. Coyote
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I am a strong believer in the power of capitalism as well, but I think sometimes people get out of control about some things. If Imus had just done this once then I would care less but this guys gets in trouble more than Howard Stern, so obviously when he sais sorry he must not be or he would have stopped doing this a long time ago.

Again, if Imus or Limbaugh or Hannity (etc.) were to suffer a righteous ass-whipping for spouting off about someone's kid, then change would occur. I know that sounds crass, but it's old-fashioned tried and true.

sparker1
04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
If you haven't heard about the outrage and uproar over this, you're not listening. There's plenty. Of course, here in VA, I'm closer to the burner. There's a call for justice for those boys.

Curious ... what do you mean by "with support from the brothers?"

When the boys were accused, the black community in general was in an uproar for "justice". I seem to recall outrage from the NAACP, Sharpton, Jackson, et al. They wanted to crucify these kids without a trial. These are not the same people crying for justice now.

packfish
04-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Again, if Imus or Limbaugh or Hannity (etc.) were to suffer a righteous ass-whipping for spouting off about someone's kid, then change would occur. I know that sounds crass, but it's old-fashioned tried and true.[/quote]

I am certainly hoping that with the (etc) you are including Moore. Baldwin, Sharpton , Jackson (etc.)

Death
04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I think anybody oh goes off about things they have no clue about should get a good ass beating.

Rev. Coyote
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I am certainly hoping that with the (etc) you are including Moore. Baldwin, Sharpton , Jackson (etc.)

Possibly, but whipping ass on Limbaugh or Imus would be more fun because they would whimper like schoolgirls. A guy like Sharpton could be downright dangerous...

Rev. Coyote
04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
When the boys were accused, the black community in general was in an uproar for "justice". I seem to recall outrage from the NAACP, Sharpton, Jackson, et al. They wanted to crucify these kids without a trial. These are not the same people crying for justice now.

That was a rhetorical question.

sparker1
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
[ That was a rhetorical question.

Well, I answered for Rhetorical, hope you don't mind. :haha:

Sombeech
04-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Imus' apology is officially accepted.

Do you, who are neither:
*Black
*Female
*On the Rutger Team

accept his apology? You don't need to, but then again you never should have been that upset in the first place.

Death
04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Imus' apology is officially accepted.

Do you, who are neither:
*Black
*Female
*On the Rutger Team

accept his apology? You don't need to, but then again you never should have been that upset in the first place.
He isn't apologizing to me nor did he insult me so obviously no one here could answer that question.

Sombeech
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
He isn't apologizing to me nor did he insult me so obviously no one here could answer that question.

So why were you upset about his comment since you have absolutely no connection?

Death
04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Because its wrong as an outside observer I can think that, but it doesn't affect me and he wasn't apologizing to me so in the context of your question I cant answer that.

Sombeech
04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Because its wrong as an outside observer I can think that, but it doesn't affect me and he wasn't apologizing to me so in the context of your question I cant answer that.

But you were upset, so the apology should affect you one way or the other.

chickenlicken
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Whate ever happened to the saying that "stick and stones can break my bones...." yeah words can hurt, but only if you feel they apply to you. I wish soome people had more to do with their time than create something from nothing and call it racism. :roll:

By the way "your mother wears combat boots" :wedgie:

HEADHUNTER
04-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Tom DeLay, Former Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, on the Fallout From and Issues Surrounding Don Imus' Recent Controversial Comments about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team:

"And for the contextual icing on the cake, where are the repercussions for Rosie O'Donnell's hateful, idiotic accusations that President Bush was behind the 9/11 attacks? And her ignorant parody of the Chinese language? Or her comparison of conservative Christians to Islamo-fascist terrorists? Why has ABC not suspended her from The View? Why has she not been frog-marched up to some radio show to apologize to 9/11 victims/Chinese-American activists/evangelical Christians?"