PDA

View Full Version : WhiteWater Rafting recommendations in Jacksonhole Wyoming

derstuka
04-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey all,

I am going to Yellowstone and Jacksonhole around July 21-25th, and I am looking for recommendations for whitewater rafting on the Snake River in Jacksonhole. I see Dave Hansen's rafting, and Jacksonhole White Water rafting so far. Any body have any recommendations for rafting? Anybody done any rafting there and have advice on where to go, and what to do? My gf's parents just want a float trip, but my gf and I want a whitewater trip and would welcome any advice/experiences that you have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

rock_ski_cowboy
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
The only whitewater in Jackson Hole that is regularly guided that i know of is the ever-popular and fun "Alpine Canyon" section of the snake. I assume google will yield some guide information I don't know anything about them. Its a short half-day type trip with some class II-III water and some good waves and holes depending on the level.

derstuka
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
The only whitewater in Jackson Hole that is regularly guided that i know of is the ever-popular and fun "Alpine Canyon" section of the snake. I assume google will yield some guide information I don't know anything about them. Its a short half-day type trip with some class II-III water and some good waves and holes depending on the level.

Thanks for the info RSC! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I've done the main run up there maybe 7 times. We always brought our own rafts up, and have never went through a guided service.

Most guided services will start at West Table (see the kmz attachment) and run roughly 8 miles to Sheep Gulch (see the kmz attachment).

The biggest rapid you'll see here is called "Lunch counter". It's honestly not that bad at all. I've been on it through low and hi, and it just shoots you straight through.

But the rangers for some reason love to give you that stern look when they talk about it. :eek2:

I know there are other river runs up there, but this is probably the most eventful. Expect to fit several of these runs in on one day.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I've done the main run up there maybe 7 times. We always brought our own rafts up, and have never went through a guided service.

Most guided services will start at West Table (see the kmz attachment) and run roughly 8 miles to Sheep Gulch (see the kmz attachment).

The biggest rapid you'll see here is called "Lunch counter". It's honestly not that bad at all. I've been on it through low and hi, and it just shoots you straight through.

But the rangers for some reason love to give you that stern look when they talk about it. :eek2:

I know there are other river runs up there, but this is probably the most eventful. Expect to fit several of these runs in on one day.

Thank you for your input Sombeech. Your help is appreciated. Sometimes the rangers like to scare people into being more scared than they would for fear of people getting hurt I guess. Roughly how long did an 8 mile run take? What class are the rapids (i know this depends some on CFS of water flow, but an educated guess)?

Sombeech
04-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Roughly how long did an 8 mile run take? What class are the rapids (i know this depends some on CFS of water flow, but an educated guess)?

Hmmm, I'm guessing about an hour and a half?

The rapids are going to be nothing like Cataract or Grand Canyon, but flipping over is still a possibility in some areas.

Sorry, I don't have ratings or flow info for you.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Roughly how long did an 8 mile run take? What class are the rapids (i know this depends some on CFS of water flow, but an educated guess)?

Hmmm, I'm guessing about an hour and a half?

The rapids are going to be nothing like Cataract or Grand Canyon, but flipping over is still a possibility in some areas.

Sorry, I don't have ratings or flow info for you.

You da man! Once again, thanks for your input. :2thumbs: I can get the ratings from the rafting companies, I was just seeing if anybody knew offhand. I wouldn't mind a class V, but my gf would probably drown! ha!

accadacca
04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
This is a funny photo let me explain. You go with a group of people that you don

Sombeech
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I thought I had some pics posted here as well, but I can't find them.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
[quote=accadacca]This is a funny photo let me explain. You go with a group of people that you don

Alex
04-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Yup the front two guys are the most important in the paddle boat, IMHO. I am doing a Westwater this weekend in a paddle boat full of noobs, I hope we make it out alive :eek2: I will post some vids and pics.

soitgos
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Thank you for your input Sombeech. Your help is appreciated. Sometimes the rangers like to scare people into being more scared than they would for fear of people getting hurt I guess. Roughly how long did an 8 mile run take? What class are the rapids (i know this depends some on CFS of water flow, but an educated guess)?

There are a couple of rapids in Alpine Canyon that would be class 3 at certain water levels. Big waves, but still pretty straight forward.