PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Hiking/WhWater Rafting in Yellowstone/Jacksonhole

derstuka
04-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Hello Everybody!

Happy Easter!
Ok, I was too lazy to put the white water rafting on a second thread in that section. If nobody responds, then maybe I will have to try.

Does anybody have any good hiking and/or whitewater rafting (Snake River) recommendations (company to use and so on, Dave Hansen, is his company good to use?) in Yellowstone NP and Jacksonhole Wyoming? I will be traveling there in the heart of the season (July 21st - July 25th approx.). I guess we are staying at the "Painted Buffalo Inn" in Jacksonhole. Or does anybody have any must see attractions, fun things to do, in either Yellowstone, or Jacksonhole?

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

sparker1
04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Lots of good hikes in both parks, too many to mention here. I suggest you go to the websites for each park and find the various trail descriptions to determine which ones are right for you. I recall hiking to the waterfall at Jenny Lake and walking around String Lake, both in Grand Tetons. Lots of hikes in Yellowstone that end at a waterfall (my favorite). Also, walking to all the geysers will give you some exercise.

By the way, staying in Jackson makes for a long, long drive to visit both parks. Even staying in Yellowstone usually requires four full days to drive to various locations, not to mention hiking time.

Have a blast.

price1869
04-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I'd definitely try to hike in the Tetons. Yep, the Tetons are nice.

derstuka
04-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Lots of good hikes in both parks, too many to mention here. I suggest you go to the websites for each park and find the various trail descriptions to determine which ones are right for you. I recall hiking to the waterfall at Jenny Lake and walking around String Lake, both in Grand Tetons. Lots of hikes in Yellowstone that end at a waterfall (my favorite). Also, walking to all the geysers will give you some exercise.

By the way, staying in Jackson makes for a long, long drive to visit both parks. Even staying in Yellowstone usually requires four full days to drive to various locations, not to mention hiking time.

Have a blast.

Thank you for your input. Yeah, I have been going to websites, however, I still do not know what to choose really. Well, we are gonna see the geysers, and do the "disneyland" type stuff, but beyond that, I do not know. I know that I wanted to try and grab a rafting trip in Jacksonhole. I was just seeing if anybody had any first hand experience on any hiking/sight-seeing, rafting, drinking, or whatnot in Yellowstone, or Jacksonhole. I like to hear some accounts first-hand from people, to see what (what not) to do and see. Good and bad experiences....stuff like that.

sparker1
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
My brother took a rafting trip out of Jackson and almost drowned. He's not a swimmer, so it must have been a good ride. Too bad I don't know which outfitter dunked him.

derstuka
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
My brother took a rafting trip out of Jackson and almost drowned. He's not a swimmer, so it must have been a good ride. Too bad I don't know which outfitter dunked him.

Sounds like a fun time for your bro! Looks like nobody else really has much info on rafting here, so I will just pick one out of a hat I guess. Can't be that much difference I assume.

Any must do hikes besides the geysers at Yellowstone?

jb
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
In Yellowstone, I liked Mt. Washburn and Avalanche Peak. Both have great views. Washburn especially is a gradual climb and Avalanche is a little steeper. For a short easy hike, try the Pelican Nature Trail that starts just east of Fishing Bridge. A gorgeous little stroll right on the the lake that is really nice at dawn and dusk. All the short trails at Canyon are fun. Uncle Tom's trail is basically just several hundred stairs down into the canyon near Lower Falls. My favorite walk at Canyon starts on the Brink of Upper Falls road--but instead of going to Upper Falls, walk the rim trail toward Brink of Lower Falls. En route, pass just above Crystal Falls, which is not visited by nearly as many hikers as, say, Upper Falls, even though the walk is just as easy. Really pretty, and if the trail is open, go ahead and continue down to Brink of Lower Falls. The geysers are not as interesting as the waterfalls IMO, but are fun for kids. My favorites were Riverside, Great Fountain, and Morning Glory Pool. And the Mud Volcano, that one was fun.

Lots of good stuff in the Tetons. If you have an inflatable boat, launch it on String Lake and paddle to Leigh Lake, easy and scenic. Rafting? Well, in late July of a low snow year, it will probably be fun but will not be a thrill ride. The bigger outfitters are probably similar, I went with Mad River once, and they were fine.

And as mentioned, don't underestimate the time it takes to get to places from Jackson. Traffic is slow, hundreds of RV's, multiple fee stations, frequent road construction, etc. Tetons are fine, but camp closer if you can if you intend to spend much time in Yellowstone. Or another option is to head east at Hoback Junction south of Jackson--from this road you can reach the Granite Creek area and Granite Hot Spring in the Gros Ventres, or keep on driving till you reach the Wind Rivers. Probably every bit as close as Canyon Junction, and you could hike the Photographer's Point trail from Elkhart Park. Limitless possibilities, really. Good luck.

sparker1
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I mostly did trails that led to things I wanted to see, such as a waterfall, or geyser, or whatever. I remember hiking down to the bottom of Tower Falls. It's not far, but the trail kept going for miles.

derstuka
04-10-2007, 07:23 AM
In Yellowstone, I liked Mt. Washburn and Avalanche Peak. Both have great views. Washburn especially is a gradual climb and Avalanche is a little steeper. For a short easy hike, try the Pelican Nature Trail that starts just east of Fishing Bridge. A gorgeous little stroll right on the the lake that is really nice at dawn and dusk. All the short trails at Canyon are fun. Uncle Tom's trail is basically just several hundred stairs down into the canyon near Lower Falls. My favorite walk at Canyon starts on the Brink of Upper Falls road--but instead of going to Upper Falls, walk the rim trail toward Brink of Lower Falls. En route, pass just above Crystal Falls, which is not visited by nearly as many hikers as, say, Upper Falls, even though the walk is just as easy. Really pretty, and if the trail is open, go ahead and continue down to Brink of Lower Falls. The geysers are not as interesting as the waterfalls IMO, but are fun for kids. My favorites were Riverside, Great Fountain, and Morning Glory Pool. And the Mud Volcano, that one was fun.

Lots of good stuff in the Tetons. If you have an inflatable boat, launch it on String Lake and paddle to Leigh Lake, easy and scenic. Rafting? Well, in late July of a low snow year, it will probably be fun but will not be a thrill ride. The bigger outfitters are probably similar, I went with Mad River once, and they were fine.

And as mentioned, don't underestimate the time it takes to get to places from Jackson. Traffic is slow, hundreds of RV's, multiple fee stations, frequent road construction, etc. Tetons are fine, but camp closer if you can if you intend to spend much time in Yellowstone. Or another option is to head east at Hoback Junction south of Jackson--from this road you can reach the Granite Creek area and Granite Hot Spring in the Gros Ventres, or keep on driving till you reach the Wind Rivers. Probably every bit as close as Canyon Junction, and you could hike the Photographer's Point trail from Elkhart Park. Limitless possibilities, really. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the great information JB. This is what I was looking for...firsthand accounts. I wasn't sure about when the river starts running low, I guess our rafting company would be a good place to start for that info. Your input is much appreciated! :2thumbs: