PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Roll Your Own??

Windwalker
04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Are there any of you that reload or cast your own boolits?? Just curious, don't want to start a post if nobody can reply. I'm mainly a 22 cal lover but do some 30 cal. and a lot of pistol.

Gutpiler_Utahn
04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I have all the equipment to start, except the molds. I'll be making slugs for my .44 Mag and 6.5 Swede (though it's still on layaway).

DAA
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I bought my first centerfire when I was 12 years old, and started handloading for it right away - I still have that .270 and it's never had a round of factory ammo fired in it. Now, 30 years later, after many tens of thousands of rounds of centerfire and having worn out quite a few rifle barrels, I can honestly say that none of my centerfire barrels have ever had a single round of factory ammo down them. Actually, these days, I have very few rifles left that you can even buy factory ammo for. Most of them are chambered for wildcat cartridges that require handloading.

So, long winded way of saying "yes I handload" :mrgreen: .

- DAA

live2ride
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh, I thought this was a post for Joints? :roflol:

Windwalker
04-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh, I thought this was a post for Joints? :roflol:

Yea, After I posted I got to thinking someone would visit just to see what hunting / shooting had to with rolling. Sorry no such discussions, I have made a few arrest for those that "Roll Their Own" as it were. A paper patch bullet is as close to a rolling your own as your going to get to rolling a joint.

WW

Windwalker
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I have all the equipment to start, except the molds. I'll be making slugs for my .44 Mag and 6.5 Swede (though it's still on layaway).

Gutpiler, (unique name) your going to enjoy this little hobby of reloading, and casting. My wife doesn't mind at all, as she says "I know where your at and what your doing." Whenever I have to justify the cost of a new press/die/mold/etc I say, "Babe, I don't smoke, drink, or chase whores, look at the money I'm saving. Allow me this one bad habit." She has a lot of counter comebacks but as a rule she "allows me this one bad habit."

There are dozens of reloading sights, two favorites are:

www.Thefiringline.com
www.castboolits.gunloads.com

Keep in touch, I'd like to hear how your doing.

WW

Windwalker
04-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I bought my first centerfire when I was 12 years old, and started handloading for it right away - I still have that .270 and it's never had a round of factory ammo fired in it. Now, 30 years later, after many tens of thousands of rounds of centerfire and having worn out quite a few rifle barrels, I can honestly say that none of my centerfire barrels have ever had a single round of factory ammo down them. Actually, these days, I have very few rifles left that you can even buy factory ammo for. Most of them are chambered for wildcat cartridges that require handloading.

So, long winded way of saying "yes I handload" :mrgreen: .

- DAA

Not long winded at all, every now and again, given the chance I like to give a little history of my reloading. Bought our first press, a little lyman turret head some thrirty-three years ago. Being young and in the army we couldn't afford a bench to put it on. We used a large chunk of wood on the floor with the press bolted on it and that Liza would sit on to give it balance while I'd load away. Can't believe the reloading we've accumulated over the years. My guns eat about anything that's force fed them, it's just been the last ten years or so that we've gotten heavy into casting. Wish I'd of done it when we first started.

tapehoser
04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I reload my own. Got an RCBS Ammomaster that I use, but am thinking of getting a Lee Anniversary Kit just for my .45 ACP and other sundry pistol stuff.

Been reloading about 3 years now and love it. Very relaxing but takes lots o' time that I don't have right now.

Stuff I've reloaded is: 300 Weatherby, .45-70 Govt., .44 Mag., .357 Mag., .243 Winchester, .45 ACP, 9mm.

Fun, fun stuff.

fourtycal
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Not long winded at all, every now and again, given the chance I like to give a little history of my reloading. Bought our first press, a little lyman turret head some thrirty-three years ago. Being young and in the army we couldn't afford a bench to put it on. We used a large chunk of wood on the floor with the press bolted on it and that Liza would sit on to give it balance while I'd load away. Can't believe the reloading we've accumulated over the years. My guns eat about anything that's force fed them, it's just been the last ten years or so that we've gotten heavy into casting. Wish I'd of done it when we first started.

Very cool! I use a Dillon RL550B here and a bench my brother built when I was a kid that he had a rockchucker mounted on. I need to look into casting, it sounds like a good addition to the hobby.