PDA

View Full Version : GPS unit

tmartenst
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Hello All-

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I have a gear question and thought you guys would know your stuff. Geocaching is not my thing but I am just getting interested in purchasing a GPS unit. I would need it for backcountry endeavors in the mountains (skiing and hiking), southern Utah, other countries, etc. Definitely would not need it for city roads. I mainly want to be able to track the places that I have been and possibly get to a place that would be hard to find via way points. An altimeter would be cool too I imagine. I also am looking in the $150-$250 range. Could be a watch or a smaller unit with a bigger screen. I figured you guys would be very familiar with the advantages/disadvantages. Any ideas?

Mtnman1830
04-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I say go with Garmin. I used to use the eTrex Vista. It is a good unit. I have since upgraded to the 60CSx.

This thread may have some info.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666

greyhair biker
04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I have used Magellans almost exclusively, even though I do have a Garmin etrex too, but I just picked up a Magellan eXplorist500LE - a color unit - gave my Meridian Gold to my dad. To be fair though, you cant go wrong with an etrex Legend too :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
04-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Garmin Etrex Vista CX is what I have and love it is a great unit

tmartenst
12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
How about the etrex Venture CX. I just got one for $100 and I want to make sure it has everything I need before I dig in. It has maps of the world on it but looks to think that Taiwan is its home right now. I need to study more and get some good local Utah maps. Any advice on which to get (Wasatch mtns. and Utah deserts).

Thanks,

Thomas

ExpUt
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I've been a Garmin fan, but I recently considered the new Magellon Tritons, had they been more available and had better reviews I would have switched. In the end I replaced my Garmin eTrex Legend with a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, so far is everything my Legend was and so much more.

Realistically for geocaching, any of the mainstream GPS units (Magellan, Delorme, Garmin, etc) are going to be more than adequate.

There was a Legend here on uutah in the classifieds a week or so ago, NIB as I recall.