PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Looking Wave Ever (PIC)

accadacca
04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Super size: http://www.ferket.com/jvlt/images/teahupoo_1.jpg

JP
04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
That's a ridge line :roflol:

accadacca
04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
That's a ridge line :roflol:
Could your rig climb it? :lol8:

Sombeech
04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
That's awesome. They've got those buoys there to tell people where to swim.

cuz over there, you die. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

JP
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Could your rig climb it? :lol8:
With floatation tires I'd try driving off it and up it :roflol:

Scott Card
04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Seems to me that this freaked most of them out. They are all headed the wrong way? (non surfer here)

Sombeech
04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Seems to me that this freaked most of them out. They are all headed the wrong way? (non surfer here)

No, they've got to swim further so they can catch it before it peaks.

They'll swim near the buoy for safety. They wouldn't be able to swim much more to the left of it, or that mountain of water would come down on them while they're paddling out.

Of course, some of them are probably freaked out, and staying on the safer side.

You can see a little black dot just past the peak of the wave, on the right. That's a surfer. That's where you want to catch it, but that sucker's straight up and down so you have to catch it early.

Rev. Coyote
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM
With floatation tires I'd try driving off it and up it :roflol:

Hey! JP! Aren't you supposed to be in Moab? If so, GET YER ASS OUTSIDE and play!

Joe Gardner
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nR90ee-bM

Thoes guys have balls...

I was in Hawaii a few winters back when Pipeline was pushing up some big waves. Amazing to watch...

JP
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey! JP! Aren't you supposed to be in Moab? If so, GET YER ASS OUTSIDE and play!
My ass is here :haha: When are we doing the Brewery :five: And I am playing outside, even out of the Jeeps :haha:

Death
04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Such amazing beauty. Surfing is my first love.
Most the time you have to get towed into it or you would get hammered.
Were there swimming is about the only place you can paddle in however sometimes it can break on that side as well. It is really a very dangerous place there are reefs that can really get you.

DiscGo
04-05-2007, 04:57 AM
That picture is sweet! If I were one of the people there looking at it, I would have freaked out!

Rev. Coyote
04-05-2007, 06:50 AM
My ass is here :haha: When are we doing the Brewery :five: And I am playing outside, even out of the Jeeps :haha:

OK, now I hate you. Stuck here in the East.

Hey, have a Raven Stout on me. Tell them to put it on Coyote's tab, they'll know...

double moo
04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
In the late 70's I lived in the South Pacific and used to surf a similar bowl called A'nofo Point - West side of Tongatapu. Anyway... the shape of the reef at these sorts of bowls pretty much stops the bottom of the wave dead in it's tracks... causing the top to pitch quickly - but predictably. There isn't much paddle in as it transforms from too shallow to ride - to vertical almost instantly... we would get 3-5 strokes total before launching! Bottom hand turns were a no-no as the 3-5' lip would nail you hard... and pound your tiny ass into the coral. My back and shoulders look like I had a great case of teenage acne... it's actually from the twice that I didn't make it... and got hit by the lip!

Only successful take off was to hit your feet while crouched - grab a rail - and pull into the wave. As you shot out onto the face you could get to work... once clear of that big bad lip! Somewhere around I have an old black and white photo of me and a friend both riding inside the same tube - one up, one down - must have been 14-16' inside idameter!
:2thumbs:

ahhhh... those were the good ol' days.....

Sombeech
04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Somewhere around I have an old black and white photo of me and a friend both riding inside the same tube - one up, one down - must have been 14-16' inside idameter!

Oh man, you gotta find that photo.

JP
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
OK, now I hate you. Stuck here in the East.
That sucks, next time :2thumbs: I'll let ya know how the Raven is :haha:

Death
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
In the late 70's I lived in the South Pacific and used to surf a similar bowl called A'nofo Point - West side of Tongatapu. Anyway... the shape of the reef at these sorts of bowls pretty much stops the bottom of the wave dead in it's tracks... causing the top to pitch quickly - but predictably. There isn't much paddle in as it transforms from too shallow to ride - to vertical almost instantly... we would get 3-5 strokes total before launching! Bottom hand turns were a no-no as the 3-5' lip would nail you hard... and pound your tiny ass into the coral. My back and shoulders look like I had a great case of teenage acne... it's actually from the twice that I didn't make it... and got hit by the lip!

Only successful take off was to hit your feet while crouched - grab a rail - and pull into the wave. As you shot out onto the face you could get to work... once clear of that big bad lip! Somewhere around I have an old black and white photo of me and a friend both riding inside the same tube - one up, one down - must have been 14-16' inside idameter!

Oh thats very cool I would love to ride some waves down there. I grew up in Cali so the biggest I ever rode was Mavericks. And that was scary enough.

epek
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
That is some amazing force in the movement of that water.

Rev. Coyote
04-05-2007, 06:58 PM
That is some amazing force in the movement of that water.

Yep. Water is amazing. I've had my 19-ton boat thrown around like a toy. Dad said, "If you ever lose you fear of the water, it's time to stay on land."

epek
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I have felt what a mouth fool of sand feels like. And was wondering who's feet were right in front of my face when I realized that they were mine and were digging up all the sand that my mouth was gorging itself on, and my hips where way behind me.