PDA

View Full Version : Arches vs Canyonlands with kids

mudjumper
04-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey all,

A window of opportunity has just opened up for me to take my kids (ages 10,8,5, & 3) camping for a couple nights during the first week in May. I've had Canyonlands and Arches on the radar for a while, but now that I can actually go, I'm having a hard time deciding which park to hit. So I thought I'd throw it out there to all you.

We'll have a front-wheel driven car, so no serious offroad adventures. But we do a lot of hiking, so my kids can make it a 5-6 mile hike (they handled Calf Creek Falls like a champ, for example). We'll be tent camping, and we're ready for any kind of site, fully decked to primitive. We've actually found that we prefer primitive camping (more solace), but are just fine with official camp sites.

I'd love to hear from you some of your favorite places you've been (with your kids preferably).

Thanks,

Russ

accadacca
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I dig yer avatar... :lol8:

My vote is for Goblin Valley

denaliguide
04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
needles district of canyonlands is great. get there early in the am to get a campsite at squaw flats campground. lots of trails take off from there and there's lots of fun rocks to climb around on for the kiddies in the evening. you could hike to lost canyon one day and over into elephant canyon/chesler park the next.

DiscGo
04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
My vote is for arches. Very cool, very memorable, and all ages (mostly) can do Delicate Arch, & Devil's Garden (I say all ages because my 60 year old parents did it last year, and my 7 year old nephew did it).

denaliguide
04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
there you go! thats a real consensus for you.

Cirrus2000
04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
there you go! thats a real consensus for you.
Typical uutah.com consensus: 3 posters, 3 opinions! :haha:

I'm taking my son to Moab in 3 weeks (camping in town - mmmm, internet access...). We're going to spend a day or two in Arches. We'll also do a couple of days of this 'n' that around Moab (Cameltoe, Negro Bill, jeepin', maybe a bike ride). A couple of travel days, and we're out of time... :frustrated:

shaggy125
04-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Memories of going to Moab as a kid. Canyonlands... not that exciting, except hiking Whale Rock, that was cool. Arches was one of my favorite places, the arches were cool and there were lots of rocks to climb on. As a kid the views from Island in the Sky were not nearly as cool as playing around on the slickrock etc... Also there was less driving involved to get around Arches. Favorite place for me as a kid? Goblin Valley, second favorite, Arches.

Scott P
04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
If you only have a couple days, I would choose Arches because it's smaller. If you had several days, I would choose Canyonlands.

Both areas are great.

hank moon
04-03-2007, 07:23 AM
My vote is for arches. Very cool, very memorable, and all ages (mostly) can do Delicate Arch, & Devil's Garden (I say all ages because my 60 year old parents did it last year, and my 7 year old nephew did it).

Ditto that. Generally, kids will have a much better time in Arches. Higher eye-candy density, more of a "playground" than Canyonlands, etc. DON'T miss taking a full day to explore in the Fiery Furnace - they will love that the most!

mudjumper
04-03-2007, 07:34 AM
I really appreciate all your input. I was already leaning towards Arches...I think I may save Canyonlands for another time, or when we go backpacking. We've been to all the other National Parks in the state, and these are the only 2 left to take the kids to.

Goblin Valley was mentioned, and we've been there ... twice in fact, and I would say that it's our kids' favorite place to go as well. The goblins themselves as well as the slot canyons make for an endless target of activities. Their second-favorite place that we've been so far has been Escalante area. We did lower Calf Creek, Devils Garden, Peekaboo, and Spooky.

Utah is great isn't it? So many places to choose from. Too bad I don't have more days off from work; I'd use 'em all to go exploring.

Thanks again!

Russ

Iceaxe
04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Arches :nod:

mroy
04-03-2007, 08:22 AM
The fiery furnace in arches is hands down THE place to go when you're in that park. You have to go with a ranger guide if you don't know your way through, and they have a couple trips scheduled every day. For those that know their way through you can get permits for yourselves, in person, after watching the lamest video in the world.

Jaxx
04-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I vote Arches. I just got back from a "Man trip" with my dad from there. Beautiful place. I recommend fiery furnace for sure. If you haven't been do the ranger guided tour, its a little pricey IMO but worth it. Here is my trip report.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5879

We did lower Calf Creek, Devils Garden, Peekaboo, and Spooky.
How did your young ones do with Peekaboo and Spooky. We are going in June probably and I wanted to take my kids to those but I worry because we have a dog and I will be carrying a one year old on my back. Where did you guys camp. Did you do primitive while you where there or did you stay at a campground?

Iceaxe
04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Here are three hikes I would highly recomend to anyone visiting Arches.

Delicate Arch
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/delicate.htm

Fiery Furnace
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/furnace.htm

Devil's Garden Primative Trail
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/devil.htm

:popcorn:

mudjumper
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
How did your young ones do with Peekaboo and Spooky. We are going in June probably and I wanted to take my kids to those but I worry because we have a dog and I will be carrying a one year old on my back. Where did you guys camp. Did you do primitive while you where there or did you stay at a campground?

We had a lot of fun at Peekaboo and Spooky, but it was a little tough on 'ol dad. Really, the toughest part of Peekaboo was getting up the wall at the very beginning. When we went (spring/easter 05) there was a TON of water in there that the kids didn't want to really step in because it was so cold (both air and water), so i spent a lot of time helping them from fin to fin. So we were really slow moving, but it was still fun to be there. Spooky was awesome because, although the narrowest slot we've been in, it was easy floor walking. Imagine Little Wild Horse, but narrower. Most likely doable with a kid-pack.

So in Spooky, for your 1 y.o., there may be places where it's too narrow if your carrying. And if you have him/her in a kid-pack, you'll for sure need to leave it at the mouth of the slot, if not just inside. Just go in as far as you can. It'll still be fun. It's not all that far from Peekaboo.

Camping: We prefer primitive camping (I don't think my kids have it in them to whisper), but we tried staying in the Calf Creek campground and it turned out pretty well. On our way in, we stopped by the ranger station/visitors center in Escalante, and they said the crowds were very low for an Easter weekend, so I thought I'd check out the campground at Calf Creek. To my surprise, there were still 4-5 spots open when we got there, and we chose a great spot.

Friday morning we woke up and started out hike to Lower Calf Creek
Falls. Our pace was slow and we stopped often for snacks and resting, but we had a great time moving along up the canyon. The little interpretive guide at the trailhead was fun, and the markers helped pass the time and give the kids something to look forward to. It was also fun to pick out the details in the guide. After returning to camp, we had lunch and then headed off to Devils Garden, and the kids LOVED that place. They loved the free reign and ability to climb on anything and everything.

There is recommended primitive camping off Old Sheffield Road and off Old Airport Rd. I've heard both places are great. But we really did have a good time at the "official" campground.

Hope that helps.

Scott P
04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Here are three hikes

I would also add Klondike Bluffs and Sand Dune/Broken Arch as "must do's" for any kids.

Jaxx
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Helps a ton thanks. I am getting really excited to go down there.

Cirrus2000
04-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Here are three hikes

I would also add Klondike Bluffs and Sand Dune/Broken Arch as "must do's" for any kids.

Cool - I'm enjoying this thread, too.

For my son and I, I'm planning on Devil's Garden, Fiery Furnace or Delicate Arch (depends on our time), and Klondike Bluffs (via Jeep and bike from the west). I'll look into Sand Dune/Broken Arch as well.

Scott P
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I'll look into Sand Dune/Broken Arch as well.

Photos:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/144821.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/199207.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/199205.jpg

It's a short little loop hike that children will enjoy.

mudjumper
04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the awesome pics! I think I've for sure decided on Arches. To sum up other's posts of recommended activities, here's what's been suggested so far:
Delicate Arch
Ranger-led Firey furnace
Devils Garden
Klondike Bluffs/Tower Arch
Sand Dune & Broken Arch
Eye of the Whale Arch
Anything else?

R

Brewhaha
04-04-2007, 11:46 AM
If your kids can handle a ~4 mi round trip hike (which is about what Delicate is) I would recommend hitting The Tunnel. The absolute best part of that hike is that you will very likely have the whole place to yourself. I took my family there twice and saw no-one. The second time we went was on a Saturday during Spring Break. The park itself was packed with people (many involved in the 1/2 marathon) like I have never before seen it. We went to Sand Dune Arch (a great place for kids) and it looked like a BYU Ward Nursery. However, we didn't see a single soul on the way to the Tunnel.

mudjumper
04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Sounds like the perfect spot....is there a beta anywhere?

Cirrus2000
04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
It's on the Climb-Utah site, but the specifics are part of the Circle of Friends. General info is:

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/tunnel.htm

Of course, you have a Circle of Friends membership, don't you? Good investment...