PDA

View Full Version : Finished My Fly Rod

icthys
03-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I bought this thing back in June but never got around to starting it until January. The thread wraps were fairly time consuming and I'd only spend an hour here and there working on it. I've finally finished it. I think it turned out great and so far I am enjoying the new rod.

shagster
03-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Looks nice, so how much time total did you end up spending on this project? I can't wait to get out and try my new setup!! :nod:

icthys
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I have no idea. By guessing I'd say 20 hrs which doesn't count the time it takes for the finish to dry.

Jaxx
03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
looks awesome. What wieght do you mainly use?

denaliguide
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
yea! so what weight rod is it? where did you get the blank? what reel are you going to use.

icthys
04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
The rod is a 4 wt. I've never used a 4 wt before and was always using a 5 wt. I've now used the rod for everything except hucking streamers and it has handled everything just fine. In my opinion you don't need a 5 wt unless the 4 wt you're using is very soft and you want to nymph a heavy rig.

The rod is a Dan Craft blank. I contacted Dan directly and he set me up right and made the process of gettting everything for the rod simple. I'm loving this rod. I've never been a fan of stiff fast rods and this thing is just what I was looking for. It is a medium action rod and is just what I like.