PDA

View Full Version : Utahns receiving anti-Mormon DVDs

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660206841,00.html

[b]Utah residents are being targeted in a strategically timed national campaign against Mormonism that was launched Sunday

Scott Card
03-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Maybe that is the reason why the number of permits to protest are down for General Conference. All the money is going to produce and send a DVD rather than hire the fine upstanding folks who yell gibberish in the bull horn outside the conference center. Whatever floats their boat..... :popcorn:

Rev. Coyote
03-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Don't the fine folks at Solid Rock Christian Fellowship have anything better to do? That's utterly pathetic and a little bit creepy.

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna put a uutah.com business card in the case and send it back.

rockgremlin
03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow, anti-Mormon literature...we've never seen this before. How original... :roll:

Cirrus2000
03-28-2007, 12:50 PM
If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways. It's only logical. If there's any logic involved on the subject...

Sometimes fervent belief is not friendly toward the neighbours.

Don't feel bad - every person who comes to my door sharing, pushing, or selling their religion is dead set against my personal religious feelings. Just gotta roll with it. :ne_nau:

I'm gonna put a uutah.com business card in the case and send it back.

Most important issue in this thread: You have a uutah.com business card?

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Very very soon. :nod:

sparker1
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
As a religious bystander, I have long admired the Mormons for their work ethic and ability to make something of nothing. The main difference I have seen between the Mormon beliefs and other Christian religions is the strong emphasis on family, which I feel is a fundamental characteristic of the LDS. I have never understood the need for some religions to try to promote themselves by bashing another. All religions seem to teach tolerance rather than judgment, yet many religious leaders are compelled to put down the others.

jumar
03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways.
Some approaches are more effective than others. I don't care much for the way a lot of anti mormons approach the subject.

HEADHUNTER
03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
My question - why do they only send this crap out twice a year? I mean, most of us are Mormon's 365 - we can handle a bit more anti-stuff :popcorn:

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
< DVD's = < protest signs. I'd rather see more protest signs. They're quite funny.

Rev. Coyote
03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
All religions seem to teach tolerance rather than judgment, yet many religious leaders are compelled to put down the others.

This accounts for my disdain for organized religion. Any religion professes to know the answers and have the keys to the kingdom is suspect in my book. And that's almost every religion out there. I grew up around a lot of catholics and fundamentalist born-agains, so know the territory. Ultimately it makes for sublime entertainment watching the factions duke it out.

Rev. Coyote
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
< DVD's = < protest signs. I'd rather see more protest signs. They're quite funny.

Do people REALLY protest the temple?

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
This accounts for my disdain for organized religion.

You're right. God doesn't want people to get together and discuss Him. It's just rude.

Cirrus2000
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
If you really, truly believe in your own religion, then it is imperative that you share the good news - you can't in all conscience not. As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways.
Some approaches are more effective than others. I don't care much for the way a lot of anti mormons approach the subject.
Good point - many churches seem to heap scorn on Mormons in particular (along with Jehovah's Witnesses, I think). Maybe to some, LDS just doesn't have enough history yet, being a relatively new 'sect'? :ne_nau:

Anyway, I agree with sparker1 - admiration for the work ethic, and the emphasis on family. Perhaps both have something to do with the previous paragraph?

price1869
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
As the flip side, if you really, truly, fervently believe that someone else's beliefs are going to damn them to eternal perdition, you must try to convince them of the error of their ways. It's only logical. If there's any logic involved on the subject...

Ha, logic . . . http://blog.politicalnonsense.com/images/posts/08kabul.600.jpg

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/images/Daily_Missionary_Home.jpg

DiscGo
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM

:roflol:

Do people REALLY protest the temple?

All the time! Especially during General Conference. They have huge signs telling us (Mormons) that we are going to Hell. People rip up Mormon garments (which believe to be sacred), there are always protesters doing all sorts of things that if we were Jewish (or pretty much anyone else), they would get in trouble for hate crimes, but bashing Mormons is a lot more publicly acceptable.

Scott P
03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Interesting article (make sure to click on the links if interested):

http://en.fairmormon.org/index.php/Search_for_the_Truth_DVD

Mtnman1830
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Good point - many churches seem to heap scorn on Mormons in particular (along with Jehovah's Witnesses, I think). Maybe to some, LDS just doesn't have enough history yet, being a relatively new 'sect'?

I'm gonna start protesting Catholics for The Inquisition.

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Interesting article (make sure to click on the links if interested):

http://en.fairmormon.org/index.php/Search_for_the_Truth_DVD

I just looked around for a bit (sorry, you know I'm not the reading type) and found this review of the DVD

Rather than focus on what they believe, the video's producers have taken it upon themselves to describe and interpret LDS beliefs and teachings,
This seems to be the case for a lot of non mormon "educators". They'll talk all about the things they think are strange with the LDS church, and eventually you're like, "Well, what the hell do you want then? Is this going somewhere?"

Thx for the link Scott.

RugerShooter
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Has anybody out there got one of these yet?

Rev. Coyote
03-29-2007, 06:27 AM
All the time! Especially during General Conference. They have huge signs telling us (Mormons) that we are going to Hell. People rip up Mormon garments (which believe to be sacred), there are always protesters doing all sorts of things that if we were Jewish (or pretty much anyone else), they would get in trouble for hate crimes, but bashing Mormons is a lot more publicly acceptable.

The meaness and idocy aside: Don't people have anything better to do? I may not agree with someone's church, but damn if I'd waste a day annoying the people who show up at the door.

Sombeech
03-29-2007, 08:26 AM
The meaness and idocy aside: Don't people have anything better to do? I may not agree with someone's church, but damn if I'd waste a day annoying the people who show up at the door.

I know, dude. That's costing some money.

rockgremlin
03-29-2007, 08:26 AM

I can't agree with you more!! Don't these people have jobs?! :roll:

BTW, thnx for that great link Scott.

Sombeech
03-29-2007, 08:55 AM
In all honesty, if they believe they can get the money back from larger masses at their church, it's a legitimate business move.

So, how much did this distribution cost, and how much do they expect to make?

price1869
03-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Oh, they're not doing it out of a business motive. They just hate the mormons. Or they just love to hate them. It's okay. Everyone has their hobbies. They could be setting off bombs and wiping out entire villages.

Now how about the guys that stand out on the streets with the "Shame on . . . " banners. There have been some poor immigrants standing down the road from our office all winter. Poor guys just stand there all day holding their "Shame on Utah State Realtors" sign. Who pays these people?

nefarious
03-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I've always wanted to "help" those protestors with a fake protest of my own, but I worry my shenanigans would annoy Mormons more than the protestors.

There's just so much you could do with this:
1. Show up as Jesus
2. Show up as Satan (wouldn't have near the impact as Jesus, but would be fun anyway)
3. Show up as Billy Graham
4. Show up as God Hates Fags
5. Show up as a transvestite

Once you "get in character" just start yelling lots of crazy mumbo jumbo, only taking breaks to vocally "agree" with everything the protestors stand for. It would be great if you could get enough fake protestors on scene to drown out the real ones.

PS-Someone should try this with the God Hates Fags group! Get some gay activists to "assist" with their protests from time to time.

nefarious
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Ha, logic...Man, I love how you juxtaposed that quote with the pic of the bombing aftermath. It made a stronger statement than a treatise of the subject ever could. I don't understand the meaning of the second pic. Are you just trying to say religion isn't logical?

Rev. Coyote
03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I've always wanted to "help" those protestors with a fake protest of my own, but I worry my shenanigans would annoy Mormons more than the protestors.

There's just so much you could do with this:
1. Show up as Jesus
2. Show up as Satan (wouldn't have near the impact as Jesus, but would be fun anyway)
3. Show up as Billy Graham
4. Show up as God Hates Fags
5. Show up as a transvestite

Once you "get in character" just start yelling lots of crazy mumbo jumbo, only taking breaks to vocally "agree" with everything the protestors stand for. It would be great if you could get enough fake protestors on scene to drown out the real ones.

PS-Someone should try this with the God Hates Fags group! Get some gay activists to "assist" with their protests from time to time.

EXCELLENT!! I have a priest's shirt and collar I occasionally wear out into the community, and people act very differently around me.

price1869
03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
[

EXCELLENT!! I have a priest's shirt and collar I occasionally wear out into the community, and people act very differently around me.

I always think it's strange when dogs wear clothes.

http://www.metrostate.com/library/stories/02/apr/Metroactive%20Features%20%20All%20That_files/allthat5-0216.jpg

Neffy,

I was contrasting the methods of "spreading religion".