PDA

View Full Version : "Saving globe sure beats running Salt Lake City"

Sombeech
03-28-2007, 11:45 AM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660206516,00.html

[b]In a stunning development, Rocky Anderson, the part-time mayor of Salt Lake City, could announce today that he will hire someone else to conduct city business full-time.
"I just don't have time for it anymore," Rocky might say. "The war protests and global warming conferences and debates with conservative talk-show hosts and hanging out with my environmental buddies

JP
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Way to do the job you were elected to do. Step down and let the process go forward :nod:

rockgremlin
03-29-2007, 06:14 AM
What a dipshit! He just confirmed what everyone already knew all along. :roll:

DiscGo
03-29-2007, 06:42 AM
That is crazy!

Sombeech
03-29-2007, 08:25 AM
For those of us who were saying, "stay home and worry about SLC", let's just retract those statements. Let's get a mayor who actually cares about SLC this time.

Death
03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Why don't you just leave it up to the people who LIVE in Salt Lake City to decide who they want to have as a mayor, maybe they don't mind him. Either way I am not sure how he is hurting you in the least.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Death are you evening reading these posts before you comment? The people of SLC voted that they wanted Rocky Anderson. Now Rocky appoints someone to do his job for him, and the people of SLC do not get the person for whom they voted. Your argument just goes along with what we are saying only is coupled with your usual bias.

Udink
03-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Death are you evening reading these posts before you comment? The people of SLC voted that they wanted Rocky Anderson. Now Rocky appoints someone to do his job for him, and the people of SLC do not get the person for whom they voted. Your argument just goes along with what we are saying only is coupled with your usual bias.
Hey DiscGo, did you read the article? Did anyone?

"The press release you can only dream about"
"'We are thinking of making the mayor's job a part-time position,' a council member will say, finally. 'Or maybe just eliminate it altogether. Mayor, Schmayor, who needs one. Rocky has shown us that the mayor's job is not really necessary. We could put this city on autopilot.'"

Ahh, satire. :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Did some of you guys think that was a real press release????

I sure hope not.

Sombeech
03-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Well hell, I didn't read any of it. I'm not even sure this thread really exists.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I read the article. I understand that Rocky Anderson did not actually select a replacement to step aside. I think that Anderson is an idiot, I feel like he mostly maintains his mayoral seat by sticking it to Mormons. I'm skeptical of anyone who is too excited about Rocky Anderson, because that mostly likely means they too have problems with Mormons.

Sombeech
03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I've got a problem with Morons.

rockgremlin
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Well hell, I didn't read any of it. I'm not even sure this thread really exists.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Too funny!

....or is it? Now I am questioning whether or not I am real, or if I'm just unconcious, laying naked in a tub of goo with a bunch of electrical cables streaming out of my body, and this whole scenario is just being created by some unseen and all-powerful matrix.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Too funny!

....or is it? Now I am questioning whether or not I am real, or if I'm just unconcious, laying naked in a tub of goo with a bunch of electrical cables streaming out of my body, and this whole scenario is just being created by some unseen and all-powerful matrix.

I don't know that this group is prepared for profound philosophies. :haha:

Rev. Coyote
03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
I read the article. I understand that Rocky Anderson did not actually select a replacement to step aside. I think that Anderson is an idiot, I feel like he mostly maintains his mayoral seat by sticking it to Mormons. I'm skeptical of anyone who is too excited about Rocky Anderson, because that mostly likely means they too have problems with Mormons.

Clinging to the skirts of firebrands is usually hazardous to one's credibility, whether it be Rocky, Hannity, Newt, etc.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Clinging to the skirts of firebrands.....

I understand the meaning of what you are saying here, but I don't really understand the term "firebrand". I hate to admit to not knowing things... but do you (or anyone else) have a clear definition of this?

I would think it would be something like "explosive/ignitive personalities" but I just wanted to try and get a clarification.

Sombeech
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
firebrand, skirts,

:ne_nau:

Rev. Coyote
03-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Clinging to the skirts of firebrands.....

I understand the meaning of what you are saying here, but I don't really understand the term "firebrand". I hate to admit to not knowing things... but do you (or anyone else) have a clear definition of this?

I would think it would be something like "explosive/ignitive personalities" but I just wanted to try and get a clarification.

Sorry, as a writer, I love words. I'll let the dictionary 'splain it:

firebrand noun 1 a person who is passionate about a particular cause, typically inciting change and taking radical action : a political firebrand.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks Rev. I trusted you that it was a word, I just wanted to learn it so I could turn around and use it again and look intelligent.

Death
03-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't hate Mormons guess what....I am one!!!
I really really doubt that Rocky does either.

TreeHugger
03-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Oh my hell, Discgolf, this is a real stretch. I guess you must be skeptical of me, because I support Rocky, along with the majority of SLC residents who elected him. So, because I like Rocky I hate Mormons? That's ridiculous. And I really do not believe Rocky hates Mormons either, he has problems with their silly laws and politics (as do I), but that is not the same as "having problems with Mormons".

And... when I read the original post, my first reaction was "that's not real"... so funny how some of you are so quick to jump on the "Rocky is an Idiot" bandwagon without even thinking about it.

rockgremlin
03-30-2007, 06:59 PM
And... when I read the original post, my first reaction was "that's not real"... so funny how some of you are so quick to jump on the "Rocky is an Idiot" bandwagon without even thinking about it.

Heck ya....I'm not only ON the Bandwagon...I'm driving it!!

I wouldn't have any problem w/ Rocky if he would just come home and be what he was elected to be -- Mayor of SLC -- NOT political lobbyist/international environmental representative.

He's got a job to do, and the citizens of SLC expect him to perform...how can you argue with that?

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 07:40 PM
TreeHugger-

You love Rocky Anderson. How do you feel about Mormons in general? I genuinely do not know anyone who loves Rocky and loves Mormons. My brother (for example) just loves Rocky for sticking it to the Mormons. Do you not like that about him?

Death
03-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Again I like Rocky and I Mormon and I fully realize just how silly some Utah laws are because of some Mormons who don't get it.
Also how does Rocky "stick" it to the Mormons?

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM

1. Comparing Mormonism to the Taliban.
2. Saying we need more religious diversity on the city council (i.e. less Mormons).
3. The main street plaza deal was just another slap in the face.

There are a bunch of other comments and things I can list but again, I'm not going to change your view and you are not going to change mine. In the end it can be summed up in this:

He claims not to be "anti-Mormon" (like several other people on this site who bad mouth Mormons and claim they are not "anti-Mormon") but Rocky used to be Mormon and has bad mouthed the church a lot. He talks about the importance of acceptance of others while offering none for the predominant religion in the area.

Death
03-30-2007, 09:07 PM

1. Comparing Mormonism to the Taliban.
2. Saying we need more religious diversity on the city council (i.e. less Mormons).
3. The main street plaza deal was just another slap in the face.

There are a bunch of other comments and things I can list but again, I'm not going to change your view and you are not going to change mine. In the end it can be summed up in this:

He claims not to be "anti-Mormon" (like several other people on this site who bad mouth Mormons and claim they are not "anti-Mormon") but Rocky used to be Mormon and has bad mouthed the church a lot. He talks about the importance of acceptance of others while offering none for the predominant religion in the area.

1. If he compared the LDS church to the taliban then I don't feel like that was the right thing to say. However I have never heard that before.

2. We do need religious diversity in all facets of government. Utah is controlled by LDS politicians thus assuring those viewpoints our made into laws, sometimes this isn't bad yet other times it goes horribly wrong. I understand most of Utah is red and Mormon but the fact that Salt Lake City has voted Rocky twice proves that there are many people that share a view sometimes different than those who hold most position in our government.

3. On this all I can say is it is unprecedented to sale a piece of a major city street to anyone let alone a church. While I think what the LDS church has done with it is very nice, I have and will always believe that the church and the city were out of line in doing that.

I think a common thread threw these points is we need separation of church and state in all things. Our founding fathers made a point to make this a major point in all that they did. I have a feeling that is Rocky's point.

DiscGo
03-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Death- You show me on the books where there is a "separation of church and state" in the constitution.

""Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...". The term "separation of church and state" came from a speech that Thomas Jefferson game.

It is not that religion can not be affiliated with the Government, it is that Government will not prevent you from worshiping what you want.

About 60% of Salt Lake is Mormon (roughly) and less than half of the city council is Mormon in SLC (I'm pretty sure that is correct but I do not have the time to verify that right now). It is important to have diversity and respect but the people do elect the city council. Having a "more religiously diversified city council" is the politically correct way of saying less Mormons.

stefan
03-31-2007, 08:04 AM
About 60% of Salt Lake is Mormon (roughly)

this number is too high. the article i posted had the number for UTAH being 62% mormon.
in 2004, salt lake county was 53% mormon (approx 508,000 folks of approx 985,000).
salt lake proper is certainly a good deal less than 50% mormon, but i don't have the specific stat on that.

DiscGo
03-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Either way the voters elect the city council. It is not right to say we need less Mormons on the city council and that is what he is saying by stating "we need more religious diversity" on the council.

TreeHugger
03-31-2007, 08:31 AM
TreeHugger-

You love Rocky Anderson. How do you feel about Mormons in general? I genuinely do not know anyone who loves Rocky and loves Mormons. My brother (for example) just loves Rocky for sticking it to the Mormons. Do you not like that about him?

OK, first, we need to get off the "love" wagon. I love my husband, I love my friends and family, I do not "love" the mayor. I respect him and his work. Having said that. I feel just fine about Mormons, in general. I think "they" are some of the nicest, kindest people I have ever come across and that was the first thing I noticed when I moved here. Half the staff at my school are Mormon and I adore them, they rock. I dont believe Rocky "sticks it" to the Mormons. My goodness. You cant disagree with policy without being accused of "sticking it to the Mormons"? I think Death summed things up really well below. I think, essentially, that the majority religion holds the majority of policy making seats on the City Council and the Legislature and I think they impose their moral values too heavily in their political decsions. That is my personal opinion, it has absolutely nothing to do with liking or disliking "Mormons".

DiscGo
03-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Well TreeHugger. I guess I was wrong. It really has been my experience that those who love (or really like) Rocky (and are actually familiar with him), don't like Mormons. You seem to like Rocky a great deal and if you say you like Mormons, I apologize.

TreeHugger
03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Well TreeHugger. I guess I was wrong. It really has been my experience that those who love (or really like) Rocky (and are actually familiar with him), don't like Mormons. You seem to like Rocky a great deal and if you say you like Mormons, I apologize.

Yes, you were wrong, and yes, I accept your apology, although its sincerity is questionable, by the way you worded you statement. However, I think you need to be careful with your generalizations. By believing that I, or any one else who disagrees with the politics or policy making that is heavily based on the faith, morals and beliefs of the LDS legislators/council members, etc. "dislikes Mormons" is implying that we are prejudicial people. I do not lump people into categories and pre judge them based on their religious beliefs, cultural background, color, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, ever. "If you say you like Mormons..." I like people and I judge them individually based on my personal experiences with them.

Death
03-31-2007, 12:34 PM
This bring up a good point. Why is it that many in the LDS church take criticism as hate? As a person who attends LDS church and tries to follow the beliefs I have a hard time understanding some of the things that members do.
While I believe that what I think is true, I understand that it is not right for me to spew my beliefs to everyone, and most defenatly not make laws to support my beliefs while discriminating others.

DiscGo
03-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Yes, you were wrong, and yes, I accept your apology, although its sincerity is questionable, by the way you worded you statement.

I really was apologizing there. I'm not sure how you would like me to word it, but I will.

I certainly do believe you that you do like Mormons and Rocky. I still maintain my belief that Rocky does not like Mormons, but it certainly is good for me to know that there are people who like him for other reasons than the reasons of which I was aware.

Scott Card
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
This bring up a good point. Why is it that many in the LDS church take criticism as hate? .

Shaky faith? Don't play will with others? Sometimes hard to distinguish between a joke, hate and criticism? Self conscious? Thin skinned? Lack of understanding of the doctrine of "Charity"? Beats me. I go to church and get the question "How can you defend criminals and be a Mormon?" That is my personal favorite. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Why is it that many in the LDS church take criticism as hate?
It's probably the same mentality when people know Mormons don't drink alcohol, it doesn't mean Mormons hate people who drink, but non-Mormons get offended at this for some reason. :ne_nau: