PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Trails

DaveOU812
03-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd like to get into wheeling but I don't know anything about it. Are there any trails out there that I can run with a stock suspension? I have an 06 Tacoma 4x4, TRD sport.

Sombeech
03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
You'd be surprised what your stock suspension could do.

I took my stock suspension jeep, and a stock nissan truck on Hell's Revenge. There are a few obstacles you'll have to go around, but it's rated a 5 I believe.

As for the SLC area, I don't know.

JP
03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
x2 :nod:

crazy horse
03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I've been wondering the same thing for a while. I have a 1990 Range Rover Classic thats completely stock, and I want to do a little wheelin in the Salt Lake Area, but nothing thats gonna tear up my baby.

UtahFire
03-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd like to get into wheeling but I don't know anything about it. Are there any trails out there that I can run with a stock suspension? I have an 06 Tacoma 4x4, TRD sport.

There are a bunch of trails in the Moab area which you can do in a stock truck like the Tacoma. Here is a good list of trails with difficulty ratings:

http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

I have done most of these trails. If you have any questions about any of these trails feel free to ask. If I haven't done the trail, I'm sure there is someone on this forum that has.

scoutabout
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
There are some technical routes out at Five Mile Pass (between Tooele and Lehi) that are suitable for a stock vehicles. American Fork Canyon is a great place for stockers, but only open from around June 1st through November 30th.

scoutabout
03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
And there are also several trails above the 'B' in Bountiful, and up Farmington canyon.

Scott P
03-28-2007, 07:12 AM
I have an 06 Tacoma 4x4, TRD sport.

That is enough for most 4wd roads.

Some of my favorite (with great scenery) beginner trails are as follows:

Gemini Bridges (a very good first trip-no major difficulties)
White Rim (a few steep places-no major difficulties)
Maze Overlook (tight switchbacks)
Poison Springs (no major difficulties unless washed out)
Sunset Pass (you can connect this one with Poison Springs, but there are some pretty nasty washouts as of Feb so you may want to have some experience)
Horizon Arch (no major difficulties)
Rattlesnake Canyon (no major difficulties)

Not far from SLC and in the Uintas, Norway Flats and Upper Setting are good beginner 4wd routes. Same with South Fork Weber or Gardners Fork, though I heard both roads have been improved in recent years.

Even closer to SLC is Mary Ellen Gulch or Willard Basin, but make sure to stay on the trails.