PDA

View Full Version : SaltFlats- I've looked everywhere but I can't find an answer

firehawk
03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't find the answer to this question anywhere else, so perhaps one of you might know. Is the salt flats open all the time, for anyone to go to and drive?

I read somewhere that during rain season the salt flats can be covered in water making it unsafe, and that some areas are just salt over dirt. But, if it's not rain season, can I just take my car there and drive? I don't see any fences or anything in pictures. Or do I have to wait for Speed Week if I want to drive my car on the flats? I'm not even sure if I'd qualify, because my car is stock, with no roll cage or anything.

I'm just not sure how the flats work.

I appreciate any help.

Iceaxe
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
You can drive on the salt flats any time..... but .... YOU WILL GET STUCK!!!!

The salt flats are really just a crust of salt over deep mud. There are soft spots all over the place. The flats are covered by a sheet of water for part of the year. During speed weeks UDOT will survey a race course that avoids the soft spots and mark out and area for spectators to drive safely. It is not unusual to see areas marked off as unsafe to drive during speedweeks and every year during speedweeks several guys drive outside the safe area and get stuck. Heck, sometimes folks get stuck inside the safe areas.

firehawk
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Alright, I could bring my brother's truck to tow me out, but I don't think I want my Trans Am bottomed out in salt. Maybe El Mirage...

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Iceaxe
03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
If you were thinking of driving on the salt for speed it would probably not work anyways. In natural conditions the salt flats are pretty rough. UDOT drags the race course to smooth it out for speed runs. What exactly you looking to do?

HEADHUNTER
03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Ice - he has a TransAM - he wants to put the pedal to the metal :)

Did that with my RX7 :2thumbs:

I remember way back when - late 70's early 80's the race track out there in Magna/WVC used to have races where you could take your car and find out how fast it would go. I don't know if they offer that any longer, but it's a start.

Iceaxe
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
OK, you didn't hear me say this..... but.... there are a couple open roads where you can drop the hammer. The trick is to have a pace car running a couple miles in front of you at the speed limit with a two way radio to warn you of the public and bears.

But.....

I think what you are really looking for is the Silver State Challenge

Silver State Challenge
www.sscc.us

It's held twice each year and is an open road race held south of Ely Nevada. Only draw back is first time you enter you are restricted to under 125 mph. last time I checked the overall record was over 200 mph.

Here is a pretty good write up from car craft on the race: http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/116_0402_silver_state_classic_challenge_car_race/

enjoy, but don't become a dark stain on the highway.

:lol8:

canyoncopa
06-26-2012, 04:33 PM
The Salt Flats are open and are a lot of fun. Check out this trip report of salt skiing behind a car.
http://canyonsadventurecraze.blogspot.com/2012/05/it-seemed-like-good-idea-at-timeand-it.html
The day we went, there were a few areas where the tires sank in a couple inches, but we found a huge section behind the west-bound rest stop that was dry, hard, and compact where we could drive and ski without any problems.
For more information, pictures, and video follow the link.