PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Photos, Lick Wash

sparker1
03-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Took a ride down Skutumpah Road yesterday, despite rain the previous day. I asked for local advice about road conditions and got "Um, I don't know. Maybe try it and see if you get stuck." So I did. found a few slippery places but made it to Lick Wash without problems. Walked a mile or so down the wash, then turned around when I saw heavy clouds building. Not wishing to be there when it rains, I got out as quickly as possible. The clouds went away , giving us only a light sprinkle.

Alex
03-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Looks pretty neat, where is this at?

asdf
03-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Sweet pics!
I have never heard of this canyon where is it? I love how that now that the weather is good this forum is really starting to fill up with posts.

brettyb
03-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks a lot of the post. I've wanted to do Lick Wash ever since reading a surprising, superlative description in Adkison's book on the GS-E area. I scoped out the trailhead once, but didn't have time for the hike.

Do you think it lived up to Adkison's praise?

tanya
03-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Looks pretty neat, where is this at?

http://www.zionnational-park.com/grand-staircase-monument.htm

I love this hike! Great photos! It looks cold in there in the shady spots! Was it slippery? We took my husbands mom in there once when it was wet and found that was not the place to take someone so old under wet conditions. Notice that you can take the hike all the way up to an old cabin. There are some petro's out there too.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/lick-wash-z_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/alw-petroglyph_jpg.jpg

DiscGo
03-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

accadacca
03-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Excellent pictures! :popcorn:

JP
03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Were those thunder boomers creeping in in that last shot :haha: I'm glad it just turned out to be nothing :mrgreen:

sparker1
03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks all. Lick Wash is one of three well known "slots" along Skutumpah Road. Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge are the other two. Sheep Creek is also there, but seems less well known. Skutumpah Rd runs from Cannonville (near Kodachrome Basin SP) to the Johnson Canyon Rd NE of Kanab. Like many back roads in SW Utah, this one gets very slick when wet.

I wanted to hike farther, but the storm clouds convinced me to leave while I could. Lick Wash is not really a slot, it is too wide. It is an easy hike, pretty level though somewhat rocky. I didn't think it was anything special since the cliffs all mostly dull yellow sandstone. There was one bend that was wall to wall ice, and a little slippery. Boulders there gave something to grip while skating across.

Bottom line: A nice, easy walk in a pretty canyon, but no special beauty and no challenge.

Iceaxe
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
"Um, I don't know. Maybe try it and see if you get stuck."

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Gotta love the locals. :nod: