PDA

View Full Version : New Bike

Death
03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey guys I am looking for a new bike and I cant decide to go Full Suspension or not. Is it worth taking a small downgrade in components to get full suspension?

Death
03-21-2007, 08:57 AM
These are the two I am thinking about.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html
or this http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-3-Details.html
What do you guys think?

shagster
03-21-2007, 10:53 AM
In my personal opinion you can't beat full suspension. The only way I would go with a hard tail is if I was racing. Full suspension all the way. :2thumbs:

Note: this is only my opinion, and I don't know great detail about bikes. Goodluck

live2ride
03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey guys I am looking for a new bike and I cant decide to go Full Suspension or not. Is it worth taking a small downgrade in components to get full suspension?

It all depends on the type of riding you are planning to do. These days you can get a very efficient climbing bike and still benefit from full suspension; nonetheless, if you are planning on hitting trails that are pretty tame, you cant go wrong with a nice hardtail, light and climbs like a beast. The comfort you get from a full suspension bike is great for longer rides, more intense rides and for a little bum comfort on a rough downhill.

In my opinion you cant beat the comfort of a full suspension; however, you will never know what comfort you may be missing if you get a sweet hardtail and it will help you pick your line a little better and get a little more technical in your riding. I started riding a rigid, then graduated to a hardtail, and added a full suspension and was glad that I started on a hardtail due to the fact that it helped me pay attention to trail details and work on choosing a good line to ride.

Sombeech
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I'd stick with full suspension if it will primarily be an off road bike.

Death
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok so what do you guys think about the bike i linked to in my first post?

HEADHUNTER
03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Ok so what do you guys think about the bike i linked to in my first post?

Both look like a great bike - the price is the same - if that's your budget - go with the full suspension.

But I know very little about bikes....

nefarious
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
The opinion of another admitted non-expert: I'd go full suspension no matter what. I tune the rear shock on my XC bike so tight it basically responds like a hardtail unless I'm really flying hard over the rough stuff. It rides fine whether I'm offroad or even on a paved trail. So, you can get the best of both worlds with a full suspension bike.

REDFOX
03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I recommend the full suspension. I would look into a more recognizable brand such as Specialized or Trek. They offer good warranty's and a better resale value later if you decide to upgrade.

Death
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
True I am still looking but I agree I think I am going to go full suspension.

asdf
03-22-2007, 04:35 AM
If you are on a budget and willing to buy a used bike you should check out Craigslist. I scored my 04 Bighit Spec w/ boxxer and other upgrades for $550 it needed a bit of work done but it has been well worth the price so far. :2thumbs:

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/297228690.html

Death
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Very nice I will definitely check out Craig list.

REDFOX
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I recommend MTBR.COM check the classified adds. I searched for about 3 years daily. I found a bike and started a bidding war against a local guy. Finally I convinced the seller to hold the bike for me and that I would drive out to California to pick it up. He didn't want to break it down to ship it since he had a local guy interested in buying it. I payed 1400.00 for a bike that was worth about 5000.00.

HEADHUNTER
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I'd love to buy a used FS bike - but I'm 6'4 and it's tough to find an XL frame that's used :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
When you hit 6' + and over 200 # you need a good frame and shocks - you will not regret getting full suspension :2thumbs:
Kona makes some amazing bikes...personally, I like Kona and Rocky Mountain..either one you cant go wrong with!

Ross
03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
rigid ftw.

you'd probably want fs though.