PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Swell

DirkHammergate
03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
I did finally decide to roll down to Crack Canyon, took a 1/2 day, packed like mad and grabbed the boys from their Mom's place around 1:30 and headed South. We made excellent time, I was pretty nervous as it was my first solo camping trip with my two boys since the big break up. I was thinking about going to Hodoo arch but decided on Crack because I thought I'd see more people if trouble busted out. Anyway, we got there around 5:45, set up camp, hiked around, ate, raged a fire, went to bed.

Next day, hikes in Gobling Valley, Crack Canyon, raged a fire, went to bed very sleepy.

Sunday, kicked it for awhile, complained about having to go home, made it to SLC around 5.

Perfect conditions, nobody there, nothing went wrong. I talked to the ex on the phone and told her she would believe it but I didn't forget a thing for the first time in 12 years (b@**h). The boys ended up having a blast and to their credit hiked their little buts off for me. The whole trip went off without a hitch, didn't forget a thing, total comfort, perfect weather. I think I was alot more detailed since I was doing the plan and prep on my own, I've noticed that since being on my own stuff seems to get done either faster or more complete. What a blast though, I'm probably going to head down again next month hopefully with some friends and maybe the Muddy Creek area. My 7 year old said he had the time of his life over the weekend. That's worth it.

Here are some pics:

Friday evening - Mini HammerGates
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6958/samandbenfs6.jpg

The Springbar

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1299/samandben2zv3.jpg

aahYeah! An endless supply of mini cans of Sprite!

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8213/bennn2.jpg

Ben looks pretty clean here in Goblin Valley, 2 hours later he was a pile of dirt.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5826/ben1dc0.jpg

Cirrus2000
03-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Most excellent - glad you got quality time with the kids!

DirkHammergate
03-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Most excellent - glad you got quality time with the kids!

I'll actually post a few more pictures when I get home later tonight. We were really bummed about having to come home but what can you do? Turn around and come back down in a few weeks...

Alex
03-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Goblin Valley is probably my most favorite place to take the kids. Great car camping, awesome hiking and secluded enough to call it "camping". :2thumbs:

Glad you had a blast with your boys.

accadacca
03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Thats awesome!!! Great weekend to be out for sure. :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Thats awesome!!! Great weekend to be out for sure. :2thumbs:

For sure, it was really fun and very satisfying knowing I can really get into a desert trip on my own with the boys. I just need to find a cute grubby girl....

denaliguide
03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
congrats! quality time with the younguns is something they will remember forever. the canyons are the perfect place for them too. do it as often as you can. they grow up way to fast.

asdf
03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
sweet trip, I am taking my 3 year old down next month. Kids and Goblin are like peanut butter and jelly :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Perfect conditions, nobody there, nothing went wrong. ...My 7 year old said he had the time of his life over the weekend. That's worth it.

Awesome stuff man. congrats on a sweet trip with the mini-me's and to a great solo dad effort. Keep those kids outdoors enjoying this earth :2thumbs:

DirkHammergate
03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Perfect conditions, nobody there, nothing went wrong. ...My 7 year old said he had the time of his life over the weekend. That's worth it.

Awesome stuff man. congrats on a sweet trip with the mini-me's and to a great solo dad effort. Keep those kids outdoors enjoying this earth :2thumbs:

Thanks, its just becoming a better and better trip with time. Kids back over at my place today helping me organize my gear, begging to go again. It rules.