PDA

View Full Version : BST Invite

shagster
03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
We are hitting the BST trail Monday March 19th in the afternoon around 5:45-6:00. We will be starting in Kaysville near the fitness area and riding north as far as we can get. We will be in a white four door chevy if anyone is interested in riding. Hope to see some of you there. :2thumbs:

live2ride
03-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Tempting, very tempting, I brought my bike to work and was planning on going to the BST behind the U. I rode the Bst from Rainbow south and the trail was in good shape, mud started to appear around the 4-5 mile mark, other than that it looked nice.

I will possibly show up to meet you guys.

Tumbleweed
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I may make it there...depends when I can get out of work. I'll be on a red Jamis...

Beau

Sombeech
03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
wish i could make it. the knee's not up to par yet.

shagster
03-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I will be riding a silver jamis, and my buddy will be riding a black specialized carbon fiber hardtail. He will probably be dressed in his specialized jersey also. Hope to see some of you there. :2thumbs:

Tumbleweed
03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Well...it always hits the fan when you least want it to...so I'm not going to make it this time. Hope you guys have/had a good ride!

Beau

accadacca
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Where the hell are the fotos?!?!? :ne_nau: :popcorn:

shagster
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Well we did have a good ride, but I forgot the camera, sorry fellas. Next time I will tie it around my neck. The trail was in descent shape. I was surprised at the amount of sand for being this early in the year. The trail had a few other people on it, but over all it wasn't too bad. I swear that section of trail kicks my butt every time. Those long, steep hills are too much for me. Maybe by the end of the season I will be able to make them.

Tumbleweed
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry I missed the ride! It is tough going south to north...but oh so fun cruising back.

accadacca...here are some shots from the trail to appease you...don't mean to thread hijack or anything. May it be a great year for trail riding!!! (all shots are by my dad back in Sept '06)

Beau

accadacca
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice shots Beau! Just given the boyz a hard time. I have been on this trail a few times... :2thumbs:

live2ride
03-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry I missed the ride! It is tough going south to north...but oh so fun cruising back.

They didnt go South to North, My sorry ass waited for them to show up for 45 min :roflol: and then passed by them on the trail, they had a change of heart and started from North to South. Nonethelless the the trail was in great shape, the most important thing is that there was no mud. I wish that the great western was not muddy so I could have actually had a decent ride in length!!

shagster
03-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Yea sorry about that, you know how it is whenever you plan to get out of work early something goes wrong. :frustrated: It was nice to meet you even if it was just passing by. Let me know when the trails in SLC are ready to go, I would like to come down that way. :2thumbs:

Death
03-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Well we did have a good ride, but I forgot the camera, sorry fellas. Next time I will tie it around my neck. The trail was in descent shape. I was surprised at the amount of sand for being this early in the year. The trail had a few other people on it, but over all it wasn't too bad. I swear that section of trail kicks my butt every time. Those long, steep hills are too much for me. Maybe by the end of the season I will be able to make them.

Ya it is really dry I was very suprised as well.
It is a tough ride, a few places I lack the skills and have to walk, and whats up with that log in the second canyon they really need to cut that thing away I am tired of having to get off and carry my bike over it.

shagster
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Ya it is really dry I was very suprised as well.
It is a tough ride, a few places I lack the skills and have to walk, and whats up with that log in the second canyon they really need to cut that thing away I am tired of having to get off and carry my bike over it.

Hopefully someone will get that log moved out of the way before I head back up there. It's not that I mind carrying my bike over the log, it's that I can barely get over the log myself!! :roflol: I guess that is why I am riding is to lose a few pounds here and there to be able to hike my sorry ass over a log. :lol8:

Death
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Ya I doubt it will get moved anytime soon though that is a really big tree someone is going to have to bring up a nice sized chainsaw or saw of some sort to get it cut then a few guys at least to move it.

Scout Master
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Where exactly is the tree and how far from the closest vehicle access?
I have a chain saw and live close.

live2ride
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Where exactly is the tree and how far from the closest vehicle access?
I have a chain saw and live close.

From fernwood the tree is at the second bridge, it is the bridge that you go over after you pass the trail going up adams canyon. Let me know and I will meet you there if you want to go and need some help. You could park at adams canyon and hook onto the trail quick so let me know. The tree is BIG!

Sombeech
03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
nice

http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_6952small.jpg

REDFOX
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I have some cordless tools. I'm thinking a few 2x4's and some screws would make the tree a nice part of the trail. Maybe it could be ramped on both sides to allow crossing from either direction. That is what I have done in the past on some sections in Bountiful and Mueller.

live2ride
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I have some cordless tools. I'm thinking a few 2x4's and some screws would make the tree a nice part of the trail. Maybe it could be ramped on both sides to allow crossing from either direction. That is what I have done in the past on some sections in Bountiful and Mueller.

Thats what I mentioned above, it would make a short "north shore" obstacle. I wonder if we made it how long it would last? I am game to go up and help since I live here by 89 in layton.

REDFOX
03-20-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm thinking that if the tree is pretty large, than any access over the tree would probably be acceptable to hikers and bikers alike.

Death
03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I am down to help anytime you want to do it. I was actually just thinking about how I could do it after I posted earlier.

shagster
03-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Lets do it, that would be sweet!! I would be willing to come help in needed. :2thumbs:

live2ride
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
So.... Cut the tree or build a ramp? Cutting would be cost effective and we wouldnt actually need to cut the entire tree, the tree itself could be cut so that it turns into a passable obstacle on the trail. The only drawback would be how close it is to the bridge? Has anyone called the forest service yet? If we decide to cut it we might be able to get som assistance from them?

Scout Master
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
realistically how big is it what is the Diameter?

live2ride
03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
It is probably about 3 feet tall laying on the ground. It is a very large tree, you couldnt get your arms around it. That is why your could just cut a section out or make a little ramp that comes off the bridge and goes over it. If that is the route we take it would probably be wise to make most of the ramp before hand? Looks like I need to go up there and take a pic.

Scout Master
03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
My chain saw only has an 18 inch bar I could probably get through it eventually but it would take some work.

Death
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Ya it would take awhile to do it with that size of chainsaw but I am not sure we have a better option. Could the forest service provide us with any resources?

Scout Master
03-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Call em
Administrative Offices
801-236-3400
125 South State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84138

live2ride
03-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Im calling them right now

price1869
03-22-2007, 07:42 AM
I cut one out of the Mormon Pioneer trail 2 summers back. It's right below crossing where the road starts the switchbacks. :nod: Just thought I'd throw that out.

I carved a smiley into one side of the remaining log. Look for it.

Price