PDA

View Full Version : Cave Helmet?

DiscGo
03-16-2007, 05:25 PM
What kind of helmet do I need for caving? Is it different than the type of helmet I would want/need for canyoneering?

Iceaxe
03-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I use the same helmet for caves, climbing and canyons.

:2thumbs:

hank moon
03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
What kind of helmet do I need for caving? Is it different than the type of helmet I would want/need for canyoneering?

For canyoneering, you can get by with a lightweight helmet (i.e. BD Tracer, Edelrid Shield, Petzl Meteor III, etc.). A caving helmet needs to be tougher. If you plan to do a LOT of caving, you should go for one of the heavier, "old school" models such as Edelrid Ultralight, Mountain Technology Carbon Dyneema, Petzl Ecrin Roc, etc.). If you're a caving dilettante, go with one of the midweight models (BD Half Dome, Camp Silver Star, Petzl Elios). And get the one that fits - not the one that makes you look cool (fit tips below). :gap:

Main thing when selecting a helmet: get one that fits. Do not buy one w/o trying it on. Heads and helmet shapes are all different and "one size fits all" doesn't apply. Put the helmet on in the shop and adjust it to fit your head. Then, do two simple tests: 1) buckle the chinstrap, put the heel of your hand on the brim directly above your nose and push the helmet up and back. It should not *easily* slide back to expose your forehead. If it does, the helmet probably doesn't fit and you should try another; 2) Unbuckle the chinstrap and shake your head from side to side (moving ears toward shoulders), and back/forth, as in saying "yes", and might as well say "no" while you're at it. It's the yes/no/maybe shake test! Uh, anyway, the helmet should not shift around loosely on your head during the shake test; if it does, find one that fits better. There are several other fit issues that might present while you are adjusting it (Y-strap of cradle too tight under ears, chinstrap position unconfortable on throat). Make sure these can be solved with the adjustment system.

So you *can* use the same helmet for the 3 C's - but only if it's a mid or heavyweight. Ok, you could use a lightweight, but caving would destroy it very quickly unless you only do "walking" caves. How's that for verbosity?

price1869
03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
In short,

for caving, you have to have a hard plastic one, not one with foam. You will bang your head more caving than at the Metal Gods.

DiscGo
03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
This was really helpful! Thanks guys.

jumar
03-19-2007, 06:37 AM
I use the Petzl Elios for the 3 C's. Switched from the Ecrin Roc a few years back. I really like Petzl helmets.

DiscGo
03-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Alright I realize that I'm probably going to be blasted for this but... Can I just use a regular bike helmet for caving? I'm guessing the answer is probably no, but I don't know why. I'm just trying to figure this all out.

hank moon
03-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Alright I realize that I'm probably going to be blasted for this but... Can I just use a regular bike helmet for caving? I'm guessing the answer is probably no, but I don't know why. I'm just trying to figure this all out.

Well...maybe. If you're doing horizontal cave without too many poky things sticking out of the ceiling and walls - just bump and short fall protection. For vertical caves or anyplace prone to rockfall, you need something different (e.g. w/o all the holes). Dude, just borrow a helmet!

jumar
03-21-2007, 06:15 AM
If you're going to be doing much of any vertical sport (canyoneering, climbing, caving etc), it's worth it to just fork out the $. You can sometimes find a good deal on a helmet, if you look around. Especially if you're not too picky on what brand etc. My sister got her BD for $20-30 I think.

If you're not going to do much in vertical stuff, then see if you can borrow one.

I don't think Crystal has any vertical though. So you might be fine for this upcoming trip with a bike helmet.

DiscGo
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys. I was hesitant to ask because I did not want to look stupid, so I really appreciate your answers.

My sister got her BD for $20-30 I think.

Do you remember where?

jumar
03-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Let's see...I believe it was off Sierra Trading Post. It was some time ago. I don't see any climbing helmets currently on their site.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I find any good deals.

DiscGo
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Jumar!