PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Photos, Wire Pass

sparker1
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Really enjoyed walking through Wire Pass. Only a couple dryfalls to negotiate, mainly level. Having a beautiful day really helps. For those unfamiliar with this canyon, it is located along the UT-AZ border, midway between Kanab, UT and Page, AZ. The trailhead is the same as for North Coyote Buttes.

DiscGo
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Cool pics. Looks a lot like Little Wild Horse.

asdf
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Cool pics. Looks a lot like Little Wild Horse.
LWH is pretty but its turned into the Walmart of slot canyons.

Great pics sparker, I am going to be in that area next month and your pics are getting me excited!

DiscGo
03-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah good call with how crowded LWHC has become. I really like Crack Canyon a lot because it is really cool but not nearly as popular.

Jaxx
03-15-2007, 12:36 PM
That looks like an awesome area. Thanks for posting the pics.

asdf
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I think this canyon could use a few more ladders.

sparker1
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
I think this canyon could use a few more ladders.

Yeah, there were a couple dryfalls where I could have used a ladder. :frustrated:

R
03-16-2007, 06:18 AM
LWH is pretty but its turned into the Walmart of slot canyons.

I did LWHC in March 2005, and while there were some people in it, I didn't get the feeling of being crowded. Was it a lucky day? Do you think it's gotten more crowded since then?

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/lwhc/

ForeverWild
03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Stupid question from a New Yorker...What is a dryfall?

Are ropes needed here?

Iceaxe
03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
What is a dryfall?

A dryfall is a waterfall with no water.

The Dryfalls in Wire Pass or only about 4 or 5 feet and you can easily climb over them.

Ropes are usually required at a dryfall unless you can climb it or find a route around it.

This is a famous Dryfall in Pine Creek known as "The Cathedral".

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/Files/pinecreek1.jpg

gonzo
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Wow, those orange ropes sure make you look great.

Cirrus2000
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow, those orange ropes sure make you look great.
Well, maybe you're serious, but it sure sounds funny, put that way.

:roflol: :roflol:

Maybe they add zazz to the photo...

gonzo
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM
It's actually a reference to this thread:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5770

DiscGo
03-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I caught it right away Kris. :haha:

Cirrus2000
03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
It's actually a reference to this thread:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5770

Well, I was hoping it was a reference to that. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of that thread or not... :haha:

Maybe you just really thought the orange rope made him look better. :ne_nau:

:popcorn:

DiscGo
03-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I did LWHC in March 2005, and while there were some people in it, I didn't get the feeling of being crowded. Was it a lucky day? Do you think it's gotten more crowded since then?

No, LWHC is not nearly as bad as the national parks, it is just that you are never (or seldom) really alone. Not to be too picky here, it is still awesome. But I like Ding Dang & Crack Canyons for just being a little less travelled.

asdf
03-17-2007, 06:39 AM

No, LWHC is not nearly as bad as the national parks, it is just that you are never (or seldom) really alone. Not to be too picky here, it is still awesome. But I like Ding Dang & Crack Canyons for just being a little less travelled.

...... Ding Dang and Crack are far less crowded, but all the canyons in the temple mountain area have seen a huge incress in traffic in the last 10 years. LWC on a spring weekend is a joke it can be tuff to find a parking spot. I remember when you could drive very close to the subway section of crack canyon. The first few times I hiked it I never saw another sole. Last time I did it we ran into about 30 people most of them were on a guided tour of the swell.

DiscGo
03-17-2007, 06:48 AM
It is probably not long before it all becomes part of Goblin Valley and Goblin Valley then turns in to another National Park.

asdf
03-17-2007, 06:58 AM
It is probably not long before it all becomes part of Goblin Valley and Goblin Valley then turns in to another National Park.

I hope not.

DiscGo
03-17-2007, 07:19 AM
No kidding

stefan
03-17-2007, 07:28 AM

it's been tried a couple of times already. last time leavitt and utah offered a terrible landswap deal with the federal govmint and it was canned.

i think it needs to be turned into wilderness; much of it already is designated as wilderness study areas.

Wilderness areas don't usually show up on maps, unless they are specialized kind of maps. this has the added benefit of not highlighting and drawing lots of attention the way state parks and national parks and monuments do. this will cut down on the folks that are drawn because they see a bunch of places on a map, but it'll never cut down on the folks who read about the stuff in guidebooks ... and that's only going to increase.

RugerShooter
03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Them are some great pics looks like you had fun

Iceaxe
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Goblin Valley is a State Park and not a National Park, that is a big difference. I don't see Goblin Valley gaining control of LWH or much of anything else because that is federal land. And I hope the fed's just keep doing what they are doing (basically nothing). The minute it is turned into a monument or NP it will be over run with motorhomes, tourists, rules, permits and we will have to build a new multi-million dollar visitor center....Now, if we can just figure out how to kick that worthless SUWA out of the Swell I'll be really happy.....

:popcorn:

Rev. Coyote
03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for these pictures. Really cheered me up at a good time.

Nuff said.

Rev. Coyote
03-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Now, if we can just figure out how to kick that worthless SUWA out of the Swell I'll be really happy.....

Just watch you don't get a toe shot off. Figuratively speaking.

sparker1
03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
The minute it is turned into a monument or NP it will be over run with motorhomes, tourists, rules, permits and we will have to build a new multi-million dollar visitor center.

You seem to have a very narrow definition of what everyone should do, or be allowed to do, and that is: your way. I'm sure you mean well, but that doesn't always come across. :lame:

Iceaxe
03-19-2007, 07:23 AM
You seem to have a very narrow definition of what everyone should do, or be allowed to do,

I just don't want to see the Swell turned into anther Zion NP with a coffee shop on every corner and three permits required to wipe your ass....

:nod:

Jaxx
03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I just don't want to see the Swell turned into anther Zion NP with a coffee shop on every corner and three permits required to wipe your ass....[/quote]

Well put. I like how the Swell is now. It feels like you are exploring where not many others know about, even if thousands really do.
We went to LWH a couple years ago on memorial day and we saw a few people but nothing compared to the numbers in Arches NP just a couple weekends ago (except on the Ring Arch/Tunnel trail) even though its still early spring.