PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone...

astrocreep96
03-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I only recently found this site after seeing a mention of it in bikeforums.net.

Name is Zach, I currently live in SLC (near the U). I graduated last summer, I'm kind of dawdling around for the time being. Thinking of going back to school, but first I need to save up some money.

Although I'm coming from Bikeforums, I'd consider my primary interest (with respect to this site) backpacking. I didn't have a chance to get out at all last year, which sucked big time. This summer I'll try to get out a bit more. I'm thinking Havasu Falls, though a short trip, because it looks beautiful. The big trip this year will hopefully be the John Muir Trail in late July.

The longest trip I've done so far was the Utah Highline Trail, from North of Vernal west to the Mirror Lake area. It was something on the order of 100 miles, although likely a bit less than that.

Aside from that, my family has a cabin in the same area, closer to Smith & Morehouse, I suppose. I've been going up there since (technically) before I was born, and been backpacking up there since I was about 12 years old. Having checked through the backpacking section, I've seen many lakes, passes, and peaks mentioned that I've spent a good amount of time around.

Aside from that, I have a roadbike that I ride around somewhat frequently, lately. Mostly for commuting type stuff, but also just for kicks.

Do a bit of snowmobiling around my cabin, a couple of weeks ago I was up there for four days. Had a decent snow fall the night before we arrived, lots of powder. Temps were ~-15 at worst, and roughly 7 feet of snow in a few meadows.

A bit of shooting on occasion, although it's been about a year since I've gone. I used to go to the Holladay gun club when I was young, until they started requiring a membership. Recently went to Lee Kay, which, aside from the old man behind the counter, seems like a good place. Haven't been hunting in ages, if funds and time allowed though, I would probably go.

That's about it for now, I think. I do have my dive cert., but I haven't been since I got it, so...

Anyway, I'll try to post some pictures later on, I'll have to get on another computer. In the meantime I'll browse around and see what's up.

Alex
03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey welcome aboard, this is a great place to find partners and Trip Reports. Very addicting forum if you work with computers and spend online all day.... like some of us :twisted:

Edit: woot I am a number 1 greeter on this one, I rule! :cool2:

gonzo
03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the forum. It's addictive.

gonzo
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
woot I am a number 1 greeter on this one, I rule! :cool2:

You beat me by one minute.

Sombeech
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking Havasu Falls, though a short trip, because it looks beautiful.

Absolutely gorgeous. A few of us have been there as well.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961&highlight=havasu

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2780&highlight=havasu

Welcome to the forum!

RugerShooter
03-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the site. It is a great one :2thumbs:

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the site! If you enjoy the Utah outdoors, than this is the site for you.

live2ride
03-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum brother!!

Cirrus2000
03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Welcome to uutah! :2thumbs:

shagster
03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the site. I am trying to get a Havasu trip planned for this year also. I can't wait. :2thumbs:

accadacca
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Welcome to da hood! :bandit2:

fourtycal
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Welcome.

I do have my dive cert., but I haven't been since I got it, so....
I know what you mean here. Maybe we need to plan a UUTAH dive trip, even if it's just Blue lake for an hour and Crab legs at the wendover buffet after! :headbang:

gonzo
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Blue Lake is an awesome place to dive. I got my PADI Open Water certification out there a long, long time ago. The last dive trip I did was off the coast of Catalina about 10 years ago (maybe more). I also dove out at the Great Barrier Reef when I was 16.

I'd like to pick up diving again, but I would definitely need a refresher course. Or at the very least a fancy, schmancy dive computer that calculates how long I need to hang out during the 15 foot safety stop.

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
The last dive trip I did was off the coast of Catalina...

Catalina is where I did my certification dive. It was great! I love diving, it is just so expensive to go if you don't have all your own gear (which I don't).

Alex
03-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I got my PADI at blue lake as well. I have dove a few lakes around Utah (Fish Lake, Blue Lake, the crater at Heber and Deer Creek), I hear the Bear lake is pretty fun to dive as well.

My last dive last year was off the San Juan Islands in Washington State, that was my first cold water dive, was pretty awesome!

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I have been able to go a couple of times in the Caribbean. If you ever have a chance to hit Bonaire, it is unbelievable. The visibility is as good as being out of the water.

gonzo
03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I think we've effectively jacked this thread.

DiscGo
03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah but it is better than the time that we hijacked imfrog2002's welcome with that big fight over UTAG. :haha:

Jaxx
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
welcome. I know I have gotten more than a few new backpacking trips I want to take thanks to this forum. Im sure you will as well.

greyhair biker
03-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Cool! Welcome to the clan! :2thumbs:

astrocreep96
03-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you for the welcomes, everyone. No worries about the thread-jacking. Though a bit late, here are a couple of pictures (since pictures seem to be a hit here) taken on my old Olympus 4MP digital. I picked up a new Nikon DSLR here somewhat recently, so hopefully this Summer will present some new opportunities.

Alex
03-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Great pics.... and ya you got it right on the nose.... WE LOVE PICS! :nod: :2thumbs:

If you post a TR without any pics to prove you were there, get ready to catch lots of flaming from the flaming committee. :lol8:

Oh and you got to post at least one pic of you in the pics, cause you could have ripped off the landscape pics from someone else as far as we know.... :ne_nau: :nono: :popcorn: