PDA

View Full Version : Forum idea -- rockhounding

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I think a forum for rockhounding would be great on here. Can that be set up?

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 07:37 AM
I don't know if "rockhounding" would get enough traffic, but it would give me a place to show off some of my cool rocks.

*Geek Confession*

I love rocks! I am too cheap to buy souvenirs when I go places, so a lot of times I take rocks from hikes or different trips. I have about 7 really cool rocks. Most of my friends think it is weird that I like them so much, but I think they are neat.

price1869
03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I like rocks. Maybe we could just incorporate it into one of the othe forums. My favorite fossils are trilobites.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Asaphiscuswheelerii.jpg/200px-Asaphiscuswheelerii.jpg

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't know if "rockhounding" would get enough traffic, but it would give me a place to show off some of my cool rocks.

*Geek Confession*

I love rocks! I am too cheap to buy souvenirs when I go places, so a lot of times I take rocks from hikes or different trips. I have about 7 really cool rocks. Most of my friends think it is weird that I like them so much, but I think they are neat.

How about "amateur geology?"

As far as the rock geek thing, I have the same problem. I pick up petrified wood bits and give them to friends.

Uber geek alert: I have a geiger counter. A CDV 700 bought off eBay. Tak about NEAT.

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Really? I thought you would want a forum set up for flaming.

That's funny. :haha:

Rev- What is a Geiger counter?

rockgremlin
03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Uber geek alert: I have a geiger counter. A CDV 700 bought off eBay. Tak about NEAT.

There's a few rocks around our minesite that would make your gieger counter really sing! :nod:

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 09:29 AM

There's a few rocks around our minesite that would make your gieger counter really sing! :nod:Oh, I'm sure of it. Aren't you guys close to the old Mi Vida Mine?

rockgremlin
03-14-2007, 09:36 AM

There's a few rocks around our minesite that would make your gieger counter really sing! :nod:Oh, I'm sure of it. Aren't you guys close to the old Mi Vida Mine?

Yup. Just around the corner from us.

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM

It detects radiation. Mine is a 60's Cold War era model that pickes up the presence of gamma and beta. The device is named for its heart -- the Geiger-Mueller tube.

Isn't it pretty?

rockgremlin
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
That's a nice Gieger counter! We have one around here thats a complete piece of $..t!! I wish we had yours!

asdf
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
can anyone please tell me what this is... i found this rock near emerald lake on timp.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/382144797_48bcc4e5b5.jpg

Large Pic
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/382144797_48bcc4e5b5_o.jpg)

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
It detects radiation. Mine is a 60's Cold War era model that pickes up the presence of gamma and beta. The device is named for its heart -- the Geiger-Mueller tube.

Isn't it pretty?

I did a search on wikipedia, and that is the very model they have there.

Does it detect much on regular rocks? Now, I'm all curious.

Jaxx
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I also enjoy collecting rocks/fossils. My girls love making "sand dollars" from thin flat sandstone rocks haha.

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 10:30 AM
That's a nice Gieger counter! We have one around here thats a complete piece of $..t!! I wish we had yours!

Try eBay -- but if you go with the old Cold War stuff make sure it's a 700. Some of the other models only detect high level gamma. The 700 is versatile. Also, make damn sure it comes with a tube. Some on there have no tube, and you'll pay an extra $70-80 for one. Silly, when you can find the whole machine for $60..

BUT at the mine you guys should have a good modern counter. Shame on Constellation for shorting you guys on this!

gonzo
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh man, I would probably never use a Geiger Counter, but man it looks so cool. I want one. (Have I mentioned that I'm a gear whore?)

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
(Have I mentioned that I'm a gear whore?)

Me too! My wife is always getting upset that I want to get more gear, even though there are several items we have only used a couple of times.

While I argue that the doesn't comprehend "one time purchases" she argues that I don't understand "self-control". :haha:

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
OK, guys, here's a really nice kit: the cdv700, the cdv777 for high-level and a bunch of dosimeters. This is not one of my items...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CIVIL-DEFENSE-V-700-CDV-715-GEIGER-COUNTER-CD-V-777-1b_W0QQitemZ300091177764QQcategoryZ53154QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

rockgremlin
03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/382144797_48bcc4e5b5.jpg

Tough to make a solid judgement on rocks just from pics. Without getting my hands on it, I would say that it may the fossilized track of some creature after it burrowed through mud. These "mud-tracks" are pretty common in sedimentary rock, especially mudstones and shales. I see em around here at the mine all the time -- although not nearly as large and curvy as the ones in your rock. It's a nice looking specimen!

asdf
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Tough to make a solid judgement on rocks just from pics. Without getting my hands on it, I would say that it may the fossilized track of some creature after it burrowed through mud. These "mud-tracks" are pretty common in sedimentary rock, especially mudstones and shales. I see em around here at the mine all the time -- although not nearly as large and curvy as the ones in your rock. It's a nice looking specimen!

Well if you ever go hike timp its right here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/summit42/382144797/map/?view=everyones)

rockgremlin
03-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Well if you ever go hike timp its right here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/summit42/382144797/map/?view=everyones)

Kewl. Thanks! It almost looks like large intestines draped over the rock. :haha:

sparker1
03-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Unbelievable!Everyone in my generation was familiar with a geiger counter. It's hard to believe that is no longer common knowledge.

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Dang it! I hate that you guys are all in the know, and I'm not. I guess that is part of why I am on this site.

R
03-14-2007, 12:52 PM
When I went to the Trinity Site last year, there were two or three Geiger counters. An exhibit had one and would read anything you gave them. Turns out peanut butter was pretty radioactive.

Here is a pic of one at the Site...

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/jornada/trinitysite/trinitysite17.jpg

-Richard

nosivad_bor
03-14-2007, 01:04 PM
yes ! I must have one if they are 60 bucks.

I also admit I sort of want a metal detector AND (big geek alert) I watch Gold Fever on the outdoor network, where they teach you all the techniques for mining and panning for gold.

I am driving around right now with a giant chunk of quarts in the backseat of my car i found recently

"I dig rocks"

Rob

price1869
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Unbelievable!Everyone in my generation was familiar with a geiger counter. It's hard to believe that is no longer common knowledge.

See, I thought this was weird too. So I asked everyone in the office if they knew what a geiger counter was. Not one person knew. Strange. I'm baffled. :ne_nau:

JP
03-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Scary, isn't it :haha:

Scott Card
03-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Scary, isn't it :haha:

Yes, but those who know about Geiger counters for the most part are also those who remember doing nuclear bomb drills in school. "OK kids everyone to the shelter" I remember wondering "what is the point." Ahhh the good ol' days of the cold war when we knew where the enemy was and the battle lines were drawn. :popcorn:

JP
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Yes, but those who know about Geiger counters for the most part are also those who remember doing nuclear bomb drills in school.
That was just before my time. But the elementary school I was in was equipped with Civil Defense bomb shelter :haha:

Rev. Coyote
03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Tommy the Turtle says, "Duck and cover when you see the flash!"

greyhair biker
03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
I too am amazed! I thought everyone knew what a geiger counter was. Doesnt it measure in roentgens the radioactive particles given off as a result of the rate of decay or reaction of atomic particles colliding with one another?....yeah, I too am a science geek... :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
03-14-2007, 10:48 PM
...my family when I was growing up was into rockhounding. My Grandfather was a member of the Wasatch Gem and Mineralogical Society. He was the only person at the time that made jewelry mounted in stainless steel in the intermountain area. I used to collect everything as a result of his rockhounding needs. Fun stuff!

DiscGo
03-15-2007, 06:34 AM
See, I thought this was weird too. So I asked everyone in the office if they knew what a geiger counter was. Not one person knew. Strange. I'm baffled. :ne_nau:

Thanks for admitting that. I hated that I was the only one who didn't seem to know what it was.

JP
03-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks for admitting that. I hated that I was the only one who didn't seem to know what it was.
He's just trying to make you feel better :haha:

DiscGo
03-15-2007, 07:55 AM
You know Price wouldn't do that. :haha: