PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report The Tunnel and Ring Arch - The IceAxe 2007 Spring Break Tour

Brewhaha
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Everyone in Monticello and surrounding areas is heading to far-off places for Spring Break (Seattle, San Diego, Disneyland, Texas, Vegas) and so it seems that we have the whole county to ourselves. Therefore, we decided that we would hike our tails off this week in the wonderful places around the area. Thanks to Climb-Utah and Uutah we have plenty of places to play. My kids are loving it.

Yesterday we bagged the Wolfman Panel. Today, we decided to tackle The Tunnel and Ring Arch. I was especially excited about these places because they are so little known. We've hiked alot in the park and seen practically everything that is published and promoted. It was nice to see something that we have never seen before. This was so unique. My kids absolutely loved the hike - even with the Ring Arch add-on. There were a few cars in the parking area when we arrived but the only person we saw during our 6 hour day was a park ranger. Absolutely no-one else! That is almost unheard of in Arches.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

sparker1
03-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Great photos of your lovely family. Looks like a nice hike, and one I'll have to try when in that neighborhood.

Alex
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Great pictures! Glad to see that you are passing your love for outdoors onto your kids. Do you ever let them lead and see where you end up? :haha:

Brewhaha
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
We let the 2 older boys take a more difficult route up the wash and lost them for about 30 minutes (mostly thanks to my lack of directions). However, when we found the again (they had stayed in the area where we split up and we went on) they were proud to report they had to go to the bathroom and used leaves to clean themselves ("just like Survivorman" they said). They even said, we tested the leaves first, Dad, by wiping them against the back of their hands and seeing if they got itchy. I better not let them watch Man v. Wild.

marc olivares
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
looks like a great time! thanks for sharing

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
One thing I love about this site, is getting to see cool pictures. Thanks for sharing these!

Alex
03-14-2007, 11:09 AM
One thing I love about this site, is getting to see cool pictures. Thanks for sharing these!

... you forgot to mention the "Love thread", you love that too! :2thumbs:

gonzo
03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Looks like a great trip. I'll mark The Tunnel and Ring Arch on my list of places to go next time I'm down in Zion. (That list is getting awfully long).

I think you need to get this shirt for your son:
http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-pedro-featured-947.jpg

Alex
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm down in Zion. (That list is getting awfully long).

Not sure if you meant it as sarcasm or not, but those arches are in Arches National Park, not Zion. :popcorn:

gonzo
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Duh. Half the time my fingers don't type what my brain is thinking.

Alex
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Duh. Half the time my fingers don't type what my brain is thinking.

I am afraid to know what your brain is thinking :eek2: :lol8:

Iceaxe
03-14-2007, 01:38 PM
:2thumbs:

Awesome.... I love to see families out hiking together.

:banana:

Scott Card
03-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Nice... :2thumbs: The photo of "yours truly" with your daughter reminds me of my daughters in hiking pictures..... "Dad, why are we here?" Actually I am sure she had a great time but that one just reminded me of a couple of shots I have of my kids mid-hike/whine. After they get back to the car they can't stop talking about it and they always want to do it again.