PDA

View Full Version : Sawtooth's-Any Info?

Glockguy
03-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Has anyone ever been here? (They are in Idaho) I am planning a trip up there in early August. I am going to do a 3-4 day loop.

shlingdawg
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
See if you can find that missing dude from West Warren while you're up there.

t-bag
03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not familiar with that story? Unless, are you talking about the guy who broke through the ice on his snowmobile?

goofball
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
gorgeous area. have only seen the west side. did the little queens/queens loop. took 7 days total. the east side is more easily accessible and has some good loops to fit your time frame i bet. margaret fuller's book "trails of the sawtooth & white cloud mountains" is a great resource. the earthwalk press map as well.

Sombeech
03-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Who's that? I haven't heard this, and I grew up out in that area.

Glockguy
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
gorgeous area. have only seen the west side. did the little queens/queens loop. took 7 days total. the east side is more easily accessible and has some good loops to fit your time frame i bet. margaret fuller's book "trails of the sawtooth & white cloud mountains" is a great resource. the earthwalk press map as well.

Thanks. I'll give those a shot. I have the Earthwalk Wind rivers maps and think they are pretty good.

Scott P
03-14-2007, 06:44 AM
The thread below should help:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3214&highlight=sawtooths

jb
03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Has anyone ever been here? (They are in Idaho)

The Sawtooths are my favorite mountain range. No horizontal limestone cliff bands, just soaring, vertically jointed granite everywhere. Many lakes, good trails, relatively easy cross-country travel, and they lack the thin air and sometimes harsh, high-altitude ambience of the Winds or the Beartooths.

Alice/Twin/Toxaway loop is popular with good reason, with a few mile-long high lakes. You could add Imogene Lake, also large, and turn the trip into a shuttle hike--Imogene has excellent cliff-jumping from an island plus lots of off-trail exploring nearby, and better fishing (at least at one time). Or, depeding on how much ground you want to cover, you could begin or end at Redfish Lake (take the hiker ferry), crossing Cramer Divide and skirting the headwaters of South Fork Payette River en route. From Redfish north, the Baron Lakes area is stunning, again with many off-trail lakes around, some easy, some hard. Braxon Lake is relatively easy to reach, while crossing the main crest to reach the Bead and Feather Lakes is arduous. And if you are into scrambling/climbing, you will have a good time anywhere, but really ought to spend a night at Saddleback Lakes (Elephant's Perch), southwest of Redfish. Peaks and points of whatever difficulty you like.

I have no electronic pictures and am unsure about the kosher-ness of posting photos from other sites, so here are a couple of external trip reports:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037&highlight=sawtooths
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16704&highlight=sawtooths

In addition to the guidebooks mentioned above, find Tom Lopez' Idaho: A Climbing Guide for many interesting off-trail route descriptions and the mostly-still-current but hard-to-find Sawtooth National Recreation Area by Luther Linkhart. Good luck.

shlingdawg
03-14-2007, 09:51 AM

Who's that? I haven't heard this, and I grew up out in that area.

http://www.thelutheran.org/article/article.cfm?article_id=6336

Brian in SLC
03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Or, depeding on how much ground you want to cover, you could begin or end at Redfish Lake (take the hiker ferry), crossing Cramer Divide and skirting the headwaters of South Fork Payette River en route. From Redfish north, the Baron Lakes area is stunning, again with many off-trail lakes around, some easy, some hard. Braxon Lake is relatively easy to reach, while crossing the main crest to reach the Bead and Feather Lakes is arduous. And if you are into scrambling/climbing, you will have a good time anywhere, but really ought to spend a night at Saddleback Lakes (Elephant's Perch), southwest of Redfish. Peaks and points of whatever difficulty you like.

The E Perch area is aka "shangrila" for a reason. Please tread lightly.

Do you still need a permit to hike/backpack in the Sawtooths??

-Brian in SLC

jb
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Still? I haven't been there for a couple of years, but I don't remember any permits. Only exception might have been for large groups. No reservations, no formal campsites as in national parks.

Just looked at a website though. Apparently permits are needed for the Sawtooth Wilderness, but they are of the free, trailhead-register variety.

Scott P
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Yes, but self issued, though this may change in the future.

Also, you have to have a Sawtooth National Forest Pass to park at any of the trailheads (at least any of the popular ones). If not you can be fined.

Brian in SLC
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Yes, but self issued, though this may change in the future.

Also, you have to have a Sawtooth National Forest Pass to park at any of the trailheads (at least any of the popular ones). If not you can be fined.

Yeah, that's the one. I hate it. Hate is not too strong a word.

In the Stanley area (Redfish Lake) and Sawtooth National Recreation Area, most trailheads require this "trailhead parking pass".

Its a total pain in the arse. You pull into a parking lot, ready to hike, on a holiday or off hour day or weekend, and, there's no fee envelopes. You're supposed to self pay then leave the slip on the inside of your windshield. If there isn't one, the signs say to go all the way to your local forest service office and get one.

Another options seems to be to tape a golden eagle or some such on the inside of the windshield, but, I'm not sure they let you do that any more (and is a dumb idear anyhoo, why not just tape a 50 dollar bill to your car?).

Royal pain in the arse. Fee demo program. Uck. Its not only the money, its the logistics of having to pay.

This fee thing took us by surprise a couple years back. Early season, three day weekend and the fee envelopes were all gone. I seem to recall driving around until we found a trailhead that had the fee envelopes. Killed getting a decent early start for the day. Pisses me off that I have to pay to recreate in MY national forest. Even if it is only 3 bucks.

A friend didn't pay on purpose. Got caught. Feller said he'd have to pay if he was out recreating. Friend said what I'm doing is none of your business. Feller said, well, I have to ticket you. Friend said ok. Took it to court, FS didn't show, and the judge tossed it. Dang. Was hoping for a court case...

-Brian in SLC

Welcome to the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Ketchum Ranger District "Trailhead Parking Pass Project"

This is an experimental fee project designed to allow trailhead parking fees to be used specifically to maintain the trailheads and trails serving the areas you love for future generations.

Please read on to learn how this project will provide direct benefits to trails and enhance your outdoor experience. We hope that you will agree that the cost of a Trailhead Parking Pass is a true bargain.

Recreation Fee Demo Passes

During the first two years of the program, the Forest Service received many good comments from visitors regarding this project. As a result, the program was changed in an effort to be responsive to public needs and ideas.

Beginning in 1999, the Sawtooth NF modified their project. The individual, general user pass was eliminated. In its place is a Trailhead Parking Pass. This pass in only required for vehicles parked at specific trailheads on the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Ketchum Ranger District. Visit here for a complete list and map of these trailheads.

The fees collected from the modified program will be used for trailhead facility and trail maintenance on these two units.

As a result of the Trailhead Parking Pass Project, over time you can expect to see improvements in the condition of trails and trailheads. When you purchase a Trailhead Parking Pass for your vehicle, you will help:

increase the level of maintenance and reconstruction on recreation trails
make needed improvements at trailheads
pay for litter pickup and interpretive signing on some trails
improve customer service and increase visitor and vehicle safety at trailheads
Types of Passes Available
There are two type of passes - a three day and an annual pass. The three day pass expires at midnight three days following purchase. The annual pass expires one year from date of purchase.

goofball
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
some pics of teh east side if interested. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555693925bXaTIY

very mellow trip. one of my top 3 faves still.