PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a permit to visit The Tunnel in Arches

Brewhaha
03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
The subject says it all. Me and the fam are going to hike to The Tunnel and Ring Arch today in Arches. Do I need a permit to do this? Let me know ASAP because we are going to be leaving in about an hour. Thanks.

Alex
03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
I did the calling for you :2thumbs:

You do NOT need a permit for either arch. The ranger asked to stay in the washes but it is covered under your daily pass.

Brewhaha
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks man! Looks like I'll have to include a couple quarters in my next Christmas card to you.

Alex
03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks man! Looks like I'll have to include a couple quarters in my next Christmas card to you.

That's what uutah is all about.... answering service :lol8:

Jaxx
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
My dad and I did this hike on Sunday. Ring arch was awesome. Thanks to Shane and climb-utah.com for the awesome map. I will be posting my TR to arches when I get my pics.

How old are your kids, how did they do on the hike in the sand? I was thinking about taking my two young daughters but I dont think they would make it.

Brewhaha
03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Here is out crew. 3, 5, 9, 12, ??, and 37. With the 3 year old we have usually taken a backpack but this time we went without - taking a chance. It turned out very well because she was a great trooper today. With both the Tunnel and Ring it is quite a long hike and it could have been a mess coaxing a tired kid. To be honest, we were very surprised. It may have been just a good day for her.

So, in short, it is a tough, sandy hike that can be quite taxing on little legs. Doable, but just as likely difficult.

DiscGo
03-14-2007, 05:37 AM
I did the calling for you :2thumbs:

Kazak- You are such a stud!

Alex
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Brew, thanks for the update, I wanted to do that hike with my 3 year old and my friend's 2 year old. I am glad we backed out at the last minute. I hear good stuff about both places and should make it out there next year with the kids.

DiscGo, I sit here all day, so I don't mind calling if anyone needs some info :five:

My services can also check for traffic reports, weather, hotel prices etc.... just ask :lol8:

Alex
03-14-2007, 06:41 AM
The subject says it all. Me and the fam are going to hike to The Tunnel and Ring Arch today in Arches. Do I need a permit to do this? Let me know ASAP because we are going to be leaving in about an hour. Thanks.

sigh.... DUH! I was the one that hiked the Tunnel with Ice and the gang a few weeks ago, I should have known the answer without calling the park. DOH!

Jaxx
03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
how much water did your kids take? I think ring arch is one of the cooler places in the park, but Im still hesitant to take my kiddies. Plus I will have to carry my fat(20 lb.) 9 month old on my back plus my water and other supplies haha.

Brewhaha
03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Although it was nice weather, it was still much cooler than summertime temps. We always take tons of water just in case. The only kid that I could give you a number on is my 9 year old and he drank about 60 oz (2 1/2 water bottles).