PDA

View Full Version : Fox Encounter on the Arizona Strip

nefarious
03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Lost my post when I got auto signed out, and I'm too lazy to do it all again. So here's the abridged version: I came across three fox pups around 5am. and followed them to their den. One of them was curious enough to come out to have a look at me, all of the pics are of him.

nefarious
03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
After I got home, I did some quick research and discovered these are kit fox. They are comparable in size to a house cat, have oversized ears that help them keep cool (but don't aid hearing), and run zig-zag style like an evading rabbit, which helps them to catch their major food source (rabbits) and evade their enemies (giant kitties and coyotes).

Ross
03-12-2007, 11:55 PM
cool! Nice job getting some pictures.

I want to pet.

nefarious
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I started going out every morning after that and it would be the same scene every time. The two siblings would run off soon as I got close but the adventerous pup would come over to check me out. I wonder if he could've been tamed. I quit going out there for a while because I didn't want those fox to get too used to having people around, but in a different time and place I definitely would have tried to bring that pup home with me.

Cirrus2000
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I started going out every morning after that and it would be the same scene every time. The two siblings would run off soon as I got close but the adventerous pup would come over to check me out. I wonder if he could've been tamed. I quit going out there for a while because I didn't want those fox to get too used to having people around, but in a different time and place I definitely would have tried to bring that pup home with me.
Good plan re: acclimating them to hoomans. Imagine, though, having a pet fox. Cool... :2thumbs: