PDA

View Full Version : Any one been to Fish Creek Lake in the Boulder mountains?

KillEmAll
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm reading a bit about Fish Creek Lake in the Boulder mountains. I'm just wondering if anyone has been there recently. I'm wondering what the traffic is like. Supposedly the fishing is excellent which I like, but so do a lot of other people. Usually if the fishing is good, so are the crowds. If anyone has a TR or photos to share that would be great.

shlingdawg
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I was last there in 1994. The fishing was great and there were no crowds at the time. I haven't been back since because I heard that they greatly improved the road going back in there. When I went, it was 4 low most of the way back there.

If you end up going, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

KillEmAll
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Interesting. So did you have to hike in a few miles from the dirt road?

shlingdawg
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
We drove right to the lake. Do you have to hike in now?

packfish
03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I was under the impression that was a no motorized vehicle area- Isn't Blind lake a mile hike- though I have seen ATV's there and they aren't suppose to be. I haven't been that way it quite awhile just for the fact that there is an ATV problem and it isn't being addressed very well by the forset service. Been spending the last few years in other areas that you still have to hike to on that mountain. This will be a big fish year - last year was great up there and this year will be the peak of the cycle.

shlingdawg
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Is there a Deer Creek Lake up there? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong one??? :ne_nau:

packfish
03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Fish Creek Lake , and I may be wrong, is past Bilnd. I think it goes Blind,Pear,Beaver Dam and Fish Creek and there is Honey Moon off to the side of that. Fish Creek is heavily used now as far as a hike in , though I have seen ATV's up that way. That mountain really is a treasure and if everyone took it as just that it would be so much better. During the winter the snow mobilers really hurt some of the very good trophy brook trout fishing. I have spent a lot of time over the last few years just hitting every lake I can get into looking for those big brooks. And there are still some very good spots on the mountain. Lately I have caught more big cutts and Tigers than brooks though.

KillEmAll
03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Great info packfish. That's exactly the place I'm talking about. So would it be worth hitting as a weekend getaway do you think? At least for a first timer? I haven't been down to the boulders since I was a kid and have been wanting to go back there. Do you have any other suggestions for some places in the Boulders that are a bit harder to get to and might have some better fishing?

packfish
03-13-2007, 07:03 AM
KEA- what are you looking for? Solitude- or lots of fish- or solitude and a shot at a bigger fish ? Easy to catch fish- packing in a float tube ?
Give me some thoughts on what you are looking for. I may not give you a GPS cooridinate but I can give you some pretty decent ideas.

KillEmAll
03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Actually I'm looking for it all. Where's that? :haha:

I'd prefer not having to pack a float tube. I really like solitude, beauty and fish, in that order. Unless of course the fishing is really spectacular that can always bumb it up to tops on the list. For a weekend getaway it'd need to be within a 5 mile hike (I'm kinda outta shape). We're always looking for that 5 day trip so if it's a longer hike I'd consider that too.

As for the fishing, I always hope for at least enough fish to have dinner. Anything more than that is gravy. I'd rather catch more medium sized ones that get skunked trying for the biggie. Aint' nothing better than fresh fish for dinner.

How's that sound? Asking for WAY too much? You're probably thinking "yeah I know a place just like that, but I'm keeping it between me and my pole."