PDA

View Full Version : A new Uinta destination

Sombeech
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I've asked before, but can't find the thread. :ne_nau:

I'm looking for a new backpacking destination in the Uintas this summer.
I'd like about 8-10 miles in, great fishing, and beautiful scenery.

I love Allsop Lake, but I've been there about 6 times. I've also been to King's Peak from Henry's Fork. That was too crowded for me, although I did enjoy Bear Lake up there.

I've thought about Naturalist Basin, it looks great, but I've heard it gets crowded, and you have to go early in the year to see the waterfalls.

Any suggestions? Remember- fishing, 8 miles in, and very scenic. Thanks.

PS, horses may be with us, for my Dad.

Scout Master
03-09-2007, 06:31 PM
We camped near Clyde lake last summer. One of our guys caught over 50 in 3 days. It was not quite the 8-10 miles though.

Sombeech
03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
We camped near Clyde lake last summer. One of our guys caught over 50 in 3 days. It was not quite the 8-10 miles though.

How were the crowds? Was it scenic? And where exactly is Clyde Lake? Thanks.

Scout Master
03-09-2007, 09:10 PM
N 40.42.202
W110.58.103
Clyde lake is just off the Notch Trail It is a popular area but not too bad.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/a9e19955-67de-4379-a092-55002c8eba8a.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/ae2bc346-8696-4ec1-8abf-52b24c83e7b3.jpg

vamedtech
03-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd like to finaly bag Mt Emmons this year. I attempted it a couple of years ago but the weather prevented us from making the summit. We made it as far as the Timothy Lakes where we spent a very wet night. I believe it's about eight miles to the Timothy lakes. I've heard you can hike the ridgeline over to Kings peak this way. I wouldn't mind giving that a try too.

Mtnman1830
03-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Long ago, I went to up Osler. I remember the fishing was great, but not much else.

You may want to try to bag all 21 peaks above 13,000'. That should get you into some nice country.

shlingdawg
03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Garfield Basin

TR: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686

The first two pics are not from my trip, they got messed up somehow.

Anyway, I went up there the end of July 2 years ago and only saw two other groups & a ranger. 9-10 miles in to Spider Lake, 11 to 5 point. I would camp at Spider Lake if I go again. I've never had fishing like that before and the scenery is A+. If you want details or GPS tracks, PM me. If you want a guide, I'm all for it.

Sombeech
03-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Garfield Basin

I would camp at Spider Lake if I go again. I've never had fishing like that before and the scenery is A+.

Wow, that Spider Lake looks pretty cool. So, about 10 miles in, huh? I'm going to break out the map and check it out.

Seven and a half hours later, we reached our goal: Five Points Lake.
:scared: wow. And is Spider Lake still further than this?

BTW, let's see if we can fix those two pictures. If you can find photos 1 & 2 on your PC, rename them to something like 1a and 2a. Then delete those 2 in your thread, and upload the new ones.

shagster
03-10-2007, 09:57 PM
It's starting to get that time of year to start planning a couple of trips. Make sure to include me on any backpacking plans :nod:

shlingdawg
03-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Garfield Basin

I would camp at Spider Lake if I go again. I've never had fishing like that before and the scenery is A+.

Wow, that Spider Lake looks pretty cool. So, about 10 miles in, huh? I'm going to break out the map and check it out.

Seven and a half hours later, we reached our goal: Five Points Lake.
:scared: wow. And is Spider Lake still further than this?

BTW, let's see if we can fix those two pictures. If you can find photos 1 & 2 on your PC, rename them to something like 1a and 2a. Then delete those 2 in your thread, and upload the new ones.

Spider is closer than Five Point by about a mile or a mile and a half. There is the perfect camp site that we stumbled upon that is right by Spider Lake as well as the river that feeds it. It's off the main trail and it complete with big logs for sitting around the fire, a fire pit and great places for tents, etc.

I'll see if I can fix those pics.

shlingdawg
03-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I tried something funky with Google Earth. See if you can download the file I attached and open it up in your google Earth. I outlined the basic trail from the trailhead to Spider Lake.

Let me know if it works.

KillEmAll
03-11-2007, 03:55 PM
This area sounds awesome. I was already planning my trip. Then I stumbled upon this...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/campfire%20paper%20final.pdf

:frustrated: I'm not sure your going to be able to set up camp a 1/4 mile away from the lakes. And I don't think they are talking about staying 1/4 mile from a lake. They mean the whole Garfield Basin area.
If I'm going to hike that far I need 2 things: a campfire and some good fishing. The good fishing part is taken care of but the fire restriction just kills it.

shlingdawg
03-11-2007, 06:13 PM
This area sounds awesome. I was already planning my trip. Then I stumbled upon this...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/ashley/campfire%20paper%20final.pdf

:frustrated: I'm not sure your going to be able to set up camp a 1/4 mile away from the lakes. And I don't think they are talking about staying 1/4 mile from a lake. They mean the whole Garfield Basin area.
If I'm going to hike that far I need 2 things: a campfire and some good fishing. The good fishing part is taken care of but the fire restriction just kills it.

1/4 mile isn't bad. Per the ranger we ran into during our trip, he insinuated that you couldn't put a tent within a 1/4 mile either. You figure that 1/4 mile is what? 1300 feet or so, 400 yards-ish? There are plenty of places to camp that are suited to this. You'll be fine in Garfield basin w/ fish & campfire.

It's well worth the hike in. We did one day to hike in, one day out and 3 fishing days. It was perfect. I'll see if I can post more pics to my website.....

Scott P
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Any suggestions? Remember- fishing, 8 miles in, and very scenic. Thanks.

You have been to Allsop, but have you taken the right fork at the junction and seen Priord and Norice Lakes too? They are also very nice and are less visited than Allsop. One mile farther.

I've thought about Naturalist Basin, it looks great, but I've heard it gets crowded.

It is crowded, but up at Shaler Lake there isn

Sombeech
03-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I tried something funky with Google Earth.

Hey, looks like the Uintas finally have some High Resolution on Google Earth. Sweet! I'll have to do some exploring.

Check it out.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/8_824.jpg

shlingdawg
03-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I did that same thing yesterday, just didn't post it.

B
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
vamedtech wrote:

I'd like to finaly bag Mt Emmons this year. I attempted it a couple of years ago but the weather prevented us from making the summit. We made it as far as the Timothy Lakes where we spent a very wet night. I believe it's about eight miles to the Timothy lakes. I've heard you can hike the ridgeline over to Kings peak this way. I wouldn't mind giving that a try too.

I spent a wet evening there under a boulder. A lightning storm came through while I was above timberline. In that area the storms can sneek up on you over the ridge.

You may want to consider the timothy lakes. Good hike in and very scenic. The fishing is fast if you are there at the right time of day. I spent a morning on one of the upper lakes catching a fish every cast. They are mainly 10-14 inches but there are some larger yet more allusive fish nearby (If you go, let me know and i can show you where).

greyhair biker
03-14-2007, 11:08 PM
For the south slope, Upper Stillwater Reservoir area is nice and you can drive up to the waters edge. Have you thought of Highline Trail?
http://www.utah.com/hike/uinta_highline.htm
Now for th enorth slope, I love the Spirit Lake area...lakes all over the place and you can rent a cabin at Spirit Lake and hike in almost every direction for as far as you can stand to go.
http://www.spiritlakeutah.com/

Death
03-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Nothing better than hiking the Uintas. Let me know when you are going I would love to tag along.
Might want to consider 4 Lake Basin if you have never been there.

CarpeyBiggs
03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
My vote would be Fox and Dime lakes in the east. I wouldn't highly recommend the Cleveland Qeant combo, as Cleveland is shallow and I've found to only be moderately good fishing (actually broke a pole in there one time out of frustration...) Just over the saddle is a beautiful basin with Fox, Dime, Divide, and Crescent, I believe. It is one of the best areas I've packed to on that side, and it is a little less crowded, probably because of it's far eastern trail head. Fishing I've found to fantastic.

Dan

Scott P
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
My vote would be Fox and Dime lakes in the east. I wouldn't highly recommend the Cleveland Qeant combo, as Cleveland is shallow and I've found to only be moderately good fishing (actually broke a pole in there one time out of frustration...) Just over the saddle is a beautiful basin with Fox, Dime, Divide, and Crescent, I believe.

Yes, good suggestion. :2thumbs: Cleveland seems to vary as it can be good at times. Cresent next to Fox seem always to be good. Good suggestion. Plus Kidney Lakes aren't too far west and have really good fishing as well.

CarpeyBiggs
03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Ah yes, now if you are talking wanting to go a couple of days, Kidneys can't be beat. Beautiful country there, and there is always a majestic moose that seems to hang out there. A little farther up and you've got Rainbow lake, which has got to have the biggest fish I've caught in the Uintas. Fishing the creeks down from Davis Lakes has always been crazy good as well. But now we are venturing out of the 8-10 mile range... I try to get in there once a year.

Dan

Wasatch
04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Try McPheter's Lake, not too many people go up there. Not sure about the fishing, but the lake is pretty big.