PDA

View Full Version : You Can't Travel Back in Time

Iceaxe
03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Dumbass scientist... obviously none have them have ever been to Provo....

You Can't Travel Back in Time, Scientists Say
http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/070307_time_travel.html

:cool2:

Sombeech
03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
some scientists now say traveling to the past is impossible.

NOW say??? What???? I want a refund.

Einstein's theory still fascinates me though. Quick summary:The faster you go, the slower time moves for you. (we're talking very very very very fast)
The problem is, the faster an object moves, the more dense it gets.
Time could slow down for a fast moving object, but it would never reach the reversal of time. The density of the object would be too great to continue motion.
This experiment was conducted with two prestigious clocks, synchronized. One stayed on the ground, while another one circled the earth in a (I forget which model) Jet airplane.
When the clocks were compared again, the one on the ground was slightly faster.
I'm sorry, but I do not know where to find this documentation, but I learned about it in my Astronomy class.

DiscGo
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
This may surprise you guys but I am not a brilliant physicist like Albert Einstein.... but I always thought it was weird that he was so certain that time travel was impossible.

His theories for disproving time travel were based on maniuplating speed, couldn't time travel have a different source like light, or crystals (Uncle Rico), static fields, etc.. Is there no other option for time travel than speed?

DiscGo
03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Although we are not currently able to travel at the speed of light, the part of that article that discussed traveling at the speed of light for a year was interesting.

Sombeech
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Is there no other option for time travel than speed?

No, because our system of time is relative. Time affects us according to Earth's orbit, and speed. It's a little hard for me to explain, but if time stood still, it would not only take the earth standing still, but our solar system, galaxy, and universe.

Because our memory "looks back" on something, we confuse this as a possible destination.

But then again, I still believe Einstein's theory, that time is slower for a faster moving object.

DiscGo
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, as I was writing my previous post, I forgot about "time" no existing.

I guess I just so full heartily believe that if man can believe it, we can achieve it. So I just have a hard time accepting that there is anything that the human race can not accomplish in time (even if it were a million years from now).

Udink
03-09-2007, 07:18 PM
couldn't time travel have a different source like light, or crystals (Uncle Rico), static fields, etc..
You forgot the Flux Capacitor. :naughty:

DiscGo
03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
:roflol:

88 mph!!!

R
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
The problem is, the faster an object moves, the more dense it gets.

So I could go back and visit my dead grandmother, but I'd be too fat to fit through her door?

Sombeech
03-09-2007, 10:54 PM
I guess I just so full heartily believe that if man can believe it, we can achieve it.

This is true for a lot of areas, such as invisibility. We just learned last year that a copper cylinder was made invisible by bending the light rays around it, instead of focusing on a reflection method.

Unfortunately, our concept of Time Travel usually involves some kind of portal or door.

http://www.frankwu.com/AP2TT2.jpg

The more sophisticated thoughts of time travel include wormholes, black holes, and cosmic strings.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/time-travel-wormhole1.jpg

Let me put a quote here that refines my earlier Einstein theory. From http://science.howstuffworks.com/time-travel1.htm

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, time slows as an object approaches the speed of light. This leads many scientists to believe that traveling faster than the speed of light could open up the possibility of time travel to the past as well as to the future. The problem is that the speed of light is believed to be the highest speed at which something can travel, so it is unlikely that we will be able to travel into the past. As an object nears the speed of light, its relativistic mass increases until, at the speed of light, it becomes infinite. Accelerating an infinite mass any faster than that is impossible, or at least it seems to be right now.

Another interesting point to back up the clock experiment:

Scientists have discovered that even at the speeds of the space shuttle, astronauts can travel a few nanoseconds into the future.

So, still, even if we discover a wormhole in space, it's in space. It's not here on Earth behind the steering wheel of a Delorean. You'd be able to travel back in time, but you'd still be in outer space.

nefarious
03-10-2007, 12:30 AM
The speed of light is a constant, so it doesn't really present much of a speed limit itself. A destination 10 light years distant could theoretically be reached in much less than 10 years. Travel to the future is also theoretically possible, there's just no way to go back once you've made the trip.

JP
03-10-2007, 05:41 AM
You Can't Travel Back in Time, Scientists Say
And Mars couldn't support life :roll:

DiscGo
03-10-2007, 06:10 AM
From this day forth, I shall no longer believe in time travel (vocally).

That really was a very well composed post Beech.

Iceaxe
03-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I think they have the crystals in up-side-down.... and once they flip them over you just sling slot around the sun.... :2thumbs:

:popcorn:

nefarious
03-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I think they have the crystals in up-side-down.... and once they flip them over you just sling slot around the sun.... :2thumbs:

:popcorn:Sounds like fun, but do you still get shocked in the nads once the crystals are flipped right side up?

DiscGo
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
:popcorn:Sounds like fun, but do you still get shocked in the nads once the crystals are flipped right side up?[/quote]

Turn it off Kip! Turn it off!!!!! :roflol:

Napoleon Dynamite was exploided, but it really was a great movie!

stefan
03-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Dumbass scientist... obviously none have them have ever been to Provo....

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

nosivad_bor
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
some of you might be interested in know that the Atlas project is getting very close to completion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070228/sc_nm/science_universe_dc_3

GENEVA (Reuters) - The world's leading center for research into the origins of matter on Wednesday took a giant step toward the launch of a 15-year experiment which scientists hope will unlock many secrets of the universe.

A huge magnet, weighing 1,920 tonnes or the equivalent of five jumbo jets and a key element in the program, was lowered into a vast cavern 100 meters below ground at the multinational center,
CERN, on the Swiss-French border near Geneva.

"We think this project is going to uncover things we cannot dream of at the moment," said Professor Jos Engelen, Chief Scientific Officer of CERN, the 26-nation European Organization for Nuclear Research.

Some of his colleagues say the experiment, smashing particles together at high speed in a Large Hadron Collider (LHC), may bring new knowledge such as the possible existence of multiple dimensions beyond the four of traditional physics -- width, length, height and time.

Others speak, if cautiously, of venturing into realms long regarded as those of speculative science fiction -- multiple universes, parallel worlds, black holes in space linking different levels of existence.

"This is a very exciting time for physics. The LHC is poised to take us to a new level of understanding of our universe," says Tejinder Virdee, spokesman for the key particle detector part of the project, known by its initials as CMS.

The magnet and its surrounding equipment that was moved down into place with the help of a custom-built gantry crane and a hydraulic jacking system is the heaviest piece of the CMS, and the eighth of 15 parts of the Collider.

Apart from magnets and detectors, the focal element of the LHC is a 27-km channel circling through a wide underground tunnel along which particles will be forced in opposite directions at the speed of light to smash together.

Full operation is due to start up by the end of 2007 and be fully in operation in mid-2008.

Using particle accelerators built for an earlier version of the LHC, controllers will be able to ensure around 600 million collisions a second.

Each collision, according to CERN, will recreate conditions that existed just nanoseconds after the Big Bang -- a fireball of energetic radiation -- which scientists say happened some 15 billion years ago and brought the universe into existence.

By studying what happens to the particles, a process that will be tracked on ultra-sophisticated computers, CERN researchers believe they will gain knowledge of how the matter of the known universe -- and perhaps unknown ones -- was formed.

They hope they will also learn more about the dark -- or invisible -- matter that is believed to exist in quantities 30 to 100 times more than that of the bright matter of which the observable universe and everything in it, like humans, is made.

nefarious
03-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Napoleon Dynamite was exploided, but it really was a great movie!Damn exploiters. Great movie, though, you're right. Napoleon's girlfriend landed a role on Veronica Mars as a nerdy computer geek.