PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Canyon (best way down)

chabidiah
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I know that I asked about Mystery before but I am to lazy to go looking for the thread. I was wondering which way down is the best; starting and east mesa or from weeping rock. I am headed down on May 12th with my wife and a few friends. I was told that there isn't much water through Mystery but I know that we will hiking out through a little water and there might be more because of the time of year. I would appreciate some beta. Thanks

tanya
03-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Here is Bo's write up of Mystery

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-mystery-canyon.htm

Shane's

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/mystery.htm

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 08:33 AM
East Mesa baby! That hike up from Weeping Rock trailhead is a nasty climb. East Mesa trail is mostly flat and quite enjoyable. The only concern is the road as mentioned above. Consider the fitness level of your group. Also, you may want to post the question again shortly before you go to see if anyone has gone in prior to you to get recent conditions. I know that a couple of years ago, a large part of the entrance sluffed off and it made for an interesting descent when I took my wife and other newbies. :popcorn:

tanya
03-07-2007, 08:37 AM
East Mesa baby! That hike up from Weeping Rock trailhead is a nasty climb. East Mesa trail is mostly flat and quite enjoyable. The only concern is the road as mentioned above. Consider the fitness level of your group. Also, you may want to post the question again shortly before you go to see if anyone has gone in prior to you to get recent conditions. I know that a couple of years ago, a large part of the entrance sluffed off and it made for an interesting descent when I took my wife and other newbies. :popcorn:

And the bugs..... dang Juniper gnats love that trail! Bo and I went in right after that all sluffed off.... actually first people in for the season to see if the route was ready to open. I would not say the slip/slide/hike from the rim down was much fun. :lol8:

Mystery is a beauty though! That rappel into the Zion Narrows is Awesome! I killed my camera in this canyon right before that rapell! I was so bummed!

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh ya. Tanya is right about the bugs. I have only seen them on the rim though. Wear a hat. They seem to be worse at certain times of the year and only in the shade for some reason. I didn't have much problem cause I had a hat on but those without seemed to be swattin' up a storm.

tanya
03-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh ya. Tanya is right about the bugs. I have only seen them on the rim though. Wear a hat. They seem to be worse at certain times of the year and only in the shade for some reason. I didn't have much problem cause I had a hat on but those without seemed to be swattin' up a storm.

I always have a hat on! How else am I going to always look 30 :lol8:

Sun = WRINKLES!!!!!

Bo_Beck
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Sun = WRINKLES!!!!!

I think the east side shuttle is easiest, but remember to have someone drop you off. Otherwise you'll be wastin' time shaggin' your vehicle after the hike when you could be spending precious time at your favorite "hot spot" sippin' cool ones and tellin' lies! :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
03-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Sun = WRINKLES!!!!!

I think the east side shuttle is easiest, but remember to have someone drop you off. Otherwise you'll be wastin' time shaggin' your vehicle after the hike when you could be spending precious time at your favorite "hot spot" sippin' cool ones and tellin' lies! :2thumbs:

Oh yes...I forgot to mention....you look 30 without the hat, but I do think it helps you keep your balance for some reason :haha:
http://tinyurl.com/3ydxta

tanya
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Sun = WRINKLES!!!!!

Oh yes...I forgot to mention....you look 30 without the hat, but I do think it helps you keep your balance for some reason :haha:
http://tinyurl.com/3ydxta

I thought I had great balance without my hat! :lol8: That's why I am always getting stuck on those ledges when you/or I wander off and then scream for help.

shaggy125
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Booooo... Shuttles suck! The hike isn't that bad, come on guys. It's paved 90% of the way and only takes what, an hour or two to hike? The shuttle takes what three hours when you factor in driving to the TH, then driving to the TH again and then back to camp? Plus much of the trail is in the shade in the morning. Take your time, enjoy the views along the trail, and then head straight back to camp at the end of the day instead of going through the hassle of picking your car up. Just my two cents. Unless of course you can get someone else to do all the car shuttling for you... then by all means do it from East Mesa.

Eric - The hater of picking up the shuttle car!

Iceaxe
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Time wise I don't think the shuttle saves anything if you include cleaning up your shuttle at the end of the day.

And I'm with Eric.... I hate cleaning up that shuttle :five:

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I guess I am one that doesn't mind the shuttle pick-up. I have enjoyed the ride and usually have several cool beverages (non alcoholic of course) with me and a bunch of food. I get to sit and rest from the hike and usually when I get back to camp, dinner is ready! Plus, with a 4X4, that road is some fun when it is a bit wet. Also, no one I have gone with wants to do that hike.

tanya
03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I guess I am one that doesn't mind the shuttle pick-up. I have enjoyed the ride and usually have several cool beverages (non alcoholic of course) with me and a bunch of food. I get to sit and rest from the hike and usually when I get back to camp, dinner is ready! Plus, with a 4X4, that road is some fun when it is a bit wet. Also, no one I have gone with wants to do that hike.

I am all for shuttles! Bo is an early bird and it gives me time to wake up before beating the dirt! We have fun during the shuttles too.

I think Eric and Shane are just get to business types of guys. :haha:

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 05:50 PM

I am all for shuttles! Bo is an early bird and it gives me time to wake up before beating the dirt! We have fun during the shuttles too.

I too have fun on the shuttle runs. Don't let Shane fool ya... he recruits the shuttle drivers :nod: I was one of his once. Didn't mind it a bit. :2thumbs:

tanya
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM

I too have fun on the shuttle runs. Don't let Shane fool ya... he recruits the shuttle drivers :nod: I was one of his once. Didn't mind it a bit. :2thumbs:

Shane rarely fools me. :lol8:

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I knew that :five:

tanya
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I was one of his once. Didn't mind it a bit. :2thumbs:

If I said this people would take it all wrong. :lol8:

Scott Card
03-07-2007, 06:08 PM

That out of context quote scares me A LOT. As Shane has been known to say...." I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit" Ewwwwww.

tanya
03-07-2007, 06:09 PM

That out of context quote scares me A LOT. As Shane has been known to say...." I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit" Ewwwwww.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

chabidiah
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I will probably shuttle in because I am lazy, plus I can get a little more sleep on the way

Iceaxe
03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
This is the point where noob's should jump in and say..... I'll help set up the shuttle if you take me. :nod:

tanya
03-08-2007, 07:53 AM
This is the point where noob's should jump in and say..... I'll help set up the shuttle if you take me. :nod:

:roflol: