PDA

View Full Version : in the market

goofball
03-06-2007, 05:35 PM
so i'm wantign to go high again. clearance, that is. besides toyota anyone have any experience w/ other makes ? isuzu, suzuki, nissan ? short of a 00 tacoma or newer (which are a little high for my budget right now), any recommendations on what is good and what i should run screaming from ? durability and reliability (in a good way, not something i can rely on to bust regularly) of course are what i am looking for. fuel economy as high as is possible. doesn't cost overly much for parts if needed. doesn't matter if ti is a truck or a suv type. 4x4 not critical.

thx !

JP
03-06-2007, 05:42 PM
How high are you planning? Lifting IFS high makes for an uncomfortable ride, I understand why you keep thinking Japanese, gas mileage thing. But if you lift something high, bigger tires are what you need to get the clearance and if you do not regear the axles, your mileage will suffer anyway. What are you looking to do with this? Mall cruiser, daily driver or actually looking to wheel it?

goofball
03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
How high are you planning? Lifting IFS high makes for an uncomfortable ride, I understand why you keep thinking Japanese, gas mileage thing. But if you lift something high, bigger tires are what you need to get the clearance and if you do not regear the axles, your mileage will suffer anyway. What are you looking to do with this? Mall cruiser, daily driver or actually looking to wheel it?

it'll be wheeled, primary purpose will be to go those places my passenger car won't. it might be a daily driver as well. am not interested in gettign radical though. just need high clearance for the occasional raod that demands it and to ease access. NO higher than 31's.

JP
03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Depending how old/new you want to buy, I like the Toyota

goofball
03-06-2007, 08:39 PM
[quote=JP]Depending how old/new you want to buy, I like the Toyota

accadacca
03-06-2007, 09:30 PM
TOYOTA! :2thumbs: :haha:

JP
03-07-2007, 06:37 AM
You're welcome :nod:

I used to wheel in Toyota

Scott P
03-07-2007, 06:51 AM
What is your budget? I am selling a 99 Pathfinder, but live out in the boonies so it's hard for me to sell.

All those on your list will do, but be aware that some Izuzu's have been good and some not. Keep in mind Isuzu has basically gone out of business in the USA. Since 2005, they only sell one or two GM products and they are probably pulling out of the US market. Parts could get hard to find.

goofball
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
our fleet mechanic told me the grand cherokees are good vehicles. he mentioned a motor tyoe but i forget... he said avoid all tthe others but that one.

my 1st truck was a 87 fj60. loved it ! plenty of room to streetch out in the back adn not even have to caddy corner it. buried it in some river in oklahoma once, water was flowing thru the cab. came back to jerk it out next day and it started right up. that vehicle rocked. then i had a 4runner that i burnt the bearings up playing in it. always loved teh fact that my stock toyotas went almost everywhere the hummer's, radical jeep's and toyo's went. it wasn't moab, but there are some fun trails in oklahoma.

i have heard good things on teh pathfinders and like the look, but there are plenty of trucks around here to choose from. sorry.

JP
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
he mentioned a motor tyoe but i forget... he said avoid all the others but that one.
There is the 5.7L Hemi option now, the 5.2L and in 1998 the Grand Cherokee Limited package had an option of the 5.9L V-8 (360ci). That was the fastest production SUV at that time. I would not doubt that taking the Hemi of today.

The most popular engine in the Grand Cherokee's was the 4.0L I-6 which was produced right up to 2006. They were in everything, the later YJ's, TJ's, XJ's... You can't really go wrong with these engines. 200,000+ miles is not uncommon.

greyhair biker
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
he mentioned a motor tyoe but i forget... he said avoid all the others but that one.
There is the 5.7L Hemi option now, the 5.2L and in 1998 the Grand Cherokee Limited package had an option of the 5.9L V-8 (360ci). That was the fastest production SUV at that time. I would not doubt that taking the Hemi of today.

The most popular engine in the Grand Cherokee's was the 4.0L I-6 which was produced right up to 2006. They were in everything, the later YJ's, TJ's, XJ's... You can't really go wrong with these engines. 200,000+ miles is not uncommon.
My Cherokee has hit 167,000 and its purring like a kitten :2thumbs:

JP
03-10-2007, 06:06 AM
My Cherokee has hit 167,000 and its purring like a kitten :2thumbs:
My Grand is at 201,000 with the same kitten like qualities yours has :2thumbs: