PDA

View Full Version : Grandeur peak

hcraighall
03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Probably going to attempt Grandeur Peak this weekend (March 9 or 10). What do you think? Will I need snowshoes?

Thanks.

DiscGo
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Do you have a case for your snowshoes? I bought a bag for mine at Recreation Outlet for 9 bucks. If the weather is good, it is really easy to hike with my snowshoes in the bag, if there is snow I just pull them out.

I would still bring them, but I'm not sure that you'll need them.

basilone0331
03-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I would put money on not needing snowshoes if you have something like stabilicers(http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4924). There are one or two icy sections that can be traversed without them (stabilicers) with caution but other than that I would guess the trail will be packed at least to the saddle.
I always take my snowshoes, I just strap them on to my pack, which is a Blackdiamond Slide 30 L. I love this pack, I have had it for about two years and take it on every dayhike I go on. It was made for snowboarding, and has basically an additional waist strap that is designed to go around the pack and secure a snowboard to the pack. It has a pouch for a shovel, straps for probes and poles. Internally it has a camelbak bladder pouch, small waterproof compartment, and a zippered map pouch. This maybe more than what you asked for, but too bad I always seem to chime my .02 in on some posts, then add the other .98 :mrgreen:

txoutdoorx4
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Very cool. How do you like those Denali Evo Ascent snowshoes, by the way?

basilone0331
03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
They are great for moist snow, but in the really powdery snow, even with the extra fins I sink deeper than I would like, but overall they have been great for me.