PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Backpack

shaggy125
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
So... anyone familiar with Glacier NP? I'm thinking of taking a week or so this summer to spend up there. When would be the best time to go? Is July going to be mosquito infested like the Winds and Uintas? Is September too late? I'll be spending a week or two in the Pacific Northwest in August so that is the only month I'm thinking might not work for this trip. I know I can try mmontana.com, but I figured I would start here. Thanks.

Eric.

asdf
03-05-2007, 08:31 AM
We went up there last year in May and the park was completely dead nothing was open and no one was around, it was really nice. The going to sun road was still closed so we have to drive a few extra hours to get around to Many Glacier.
My two year old ended up getting sick on the first day, Nothing fun about having a two year old in a backpack throwing up on you. Then I got pretty sick for day 2 and 3. Due to the sickness we never went too far from the car and stayed in a hotel.
Next time we go up there we will go later in the year for sure.

Pics from our trip. (http://flickr.com/photos/summit42/sets/72157594479073737/with/356501323/)

jb
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
So... anyone familiar with Glacier NP?

Haven't been there but I have a trip scheduled for late July. Looking at trail reports last summer, in July and August a certain few trails were closed for long stretches because of bear activity. I don't know if that is typical. I know that people recommend reserving backcountry campsites early, early for midsummer.

And if you haven't seen it, consider getting whatever the latest edition is of J. Gordon Edward's Climber's Guide to Glacier National Park. It is kind of loosely organized, but absolutely full of summits, ridgewalks, and other fascinating cross-country jaunts. My family had kind of wanted to see GNP for a while, but I was never that excited for some reason. But if nothing else does, that book will get you pumped to go. And I think the third week in July is the http://glaciermountaineers.com meeting, with lots of organized summit hikes, if you want to meet up with people.

missoulachick
03-05-2007, 09:23 AM
july or august are the best months to go for the weather but also the busiest, september is a little less busy, most trails should still be open but be prepared, I've seen it snow in every month of the year there, even august

TreeHugger
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I've been there 3 or 4 times... wow. It's awesome. I dont remember the names of the trails, though - I'll look back in my journals and let ya know. It's been probably 5 years since the last time I've been there.