PDA

View Full Version : Utah State Parks 50th Anniversary Geocache Adventure

DiscGo
03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Utah State Parks is hosting a geocaching adventure in all forty-three state parks during 2007.
A geocache will be placed in each state park and will remain so until the end of 2007 (we hope to have them all active sometime in January). After 2007 is over each park will decide if they want to continue with the cache. Each will be stocked with park-specific 50th anniversary stickers so you can collect them all. The caches will also have state parks paraphernalia such as pencils, whistles, etc. along with the occasional gift certificate or camping coupon. In addition to that we are making coins that will be randomly placed in each cache throughout the year--so visit the caches often.

The difficulty we are having is that each park wants to have a fun cache that is creative but also teaches responsibility like staying away from archaeological sites or leave not trace ethics, but they do not know how to set things up. They are not sure how to hide a cache well, put the stages of a multi together, or incorporate creative elements. Many do not know how to use a GPS and Magellan is providing a loaner GPS to each park for visitors who do not own one themselves but would like to play.

DiscGo
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I am a big geocaching enthusiast, so I think this is great. I think it is so cool that every park will have a loaner GPS for those who do not have GPS units.

Here is a geocaching listing for most of the caches:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Utah+State+Parks

AD0OR
03-16-2007, 08:16 AM
...every park will have a loaner GPS for those who do not have GPS units.

Wow, I missed that part, that is cool.