PDA

View Full Version : Ray Giacoletti quitting -- YEAH!!!

rockgremlin
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm glad to see this...the Utes SUCK this year!!!!

From the AP:

Utah Mens Basketball Coach to Step Down

Utah basketball coach Ray Giacoletti will leave at the end of the season, the school announced Friday.
March 2nd, 2007 @ 12:39pm

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Utah basketball coach Ray Giacoletti will leave at the end of the season, the school announced Friday.

The Utes (11-17) are mired in their worst season in decades and are just 6-9 in the Mountain West Conference before Saturday's game at rival Brigham Young.

"No one wanted our team to succeed this year more than my staff and I, but that just wasn't the case," Giacoletti said in a statement.

His tenure, which started with a 29-win season in 2004-05, will likely end at next week's Mountain West Conference tournament unless the Utes somehow rally to win it. That's the only way Utah can make the postseason.

Giacoletti is 54-38 in three seasons at Utah, but just 25-32 since he took the Utes to the NCAA tournament's round of 16 in 2005. Andrew Bogut, the NBA's No. 1 draft pick that year, was his star player.

Utah said it will honor the four remaining years on his contract and pay him $175,000 a year.

packfish
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Don't come courting Stew Morrill

Scott Card
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Don't come courting Stew Morrill

Interesting you would say that. (BTW, very nice win for the Aggies last night) Stew may just consider that Utah job. Better conference in the sense of a bit more recognition and national exposure and Utah has earned a national reputation and frankly, perhaps to dig a bit a BYU. I sense a bit of bad blood with Stew and BYU. Maybe I am wrong but if I am right, it seems a perfect fit if I do say so myself. So I say Stew Utah!

Iceaxe
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I think we are going to get Jeff Judkins :haha:

gonzo
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Utah said it will honor the four remaining years on his contract and pay him $175,000 a year.

I wish I were so incompetent at my job that someone would pay me not to work.

DiscGo
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM

No kidding! I experienced something like this in Jr. High. My chorus teacher told me that if I stopped coming for the rest of the year, he would give me an "A". Needless to say, I stopped going.

Scott Card
03-02-2007, 04:27 PM

No kidding! I experienced something like this in Jr. High. My chorus teacher told me that if I stopped coming for the rest of the year, he would give me an "A". Needless to say, I stopped going.

So when can we expect you to try out for American Idol. :roflol:

Scott Card
03-02-2007, 04:28 PM
I think we are going to get Jeff Judkins :haha:

Oh ya, you may be right. If I cared about women's Basketball I may care that he coaches at BYU. But I don't. That would be interesting too... :popcorn:

HEADHUNTER
03-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I sense a bit of bad blood with Stew and BYU.

Stew is a jack mormon, wanted the BYU job, but wasn't given a sniff because of his stance on Mormonism. Not sure why he'd complain about it - every coach in the country knows the #1 requirement

shanehadman
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Rumor has it that U of U has been contacting Weber State's head coach Randy Rahe about the job :popcorn: