PDA

View Full Version : New Fork

price1869
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
How do I know which forks will be good and will fit on my bike? I have a 2003 Giant VT-1. The current fork is a Rockshox Psylo Race.

Price Point has some killer deals on manitou forks, but i don't know if I want to go up from 120 mm of travel to the 140 provided by the nixons. Won't that set me back further.

Also, GHB, can I send you my rockshox psylo and have you repair it? It leaks oil, and I want to try something new anyway, but it would be nice to have a backup fixed and ready to go.

Thanks guys.

Price

accadacca
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
You have to look at the tube diameter and the tube height...

I haven't fenangled with that stuff for a while. Someone else will have some better info.

live2ride
02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
You also need to be carefull about getting a fork with more travel because it will change the overall geometry of your bike. In order to compensate for the change you might have to adjust a few other parts on your bike.

REDFOX
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
If you are buying a new fork, the steer tube should be long enough and with most likely need to be cut to length. If you are buying used, know what the head tube height is along with any spacers and the height of your stem. You could probably get a longer travel fork for the same amount of money that you would have paid for 1-2 inch shorter fork 4 years ago. I like a comfortable bike and to me geometry doesn't matter. My head tube angle is 62 degrees which is unheard of. I ride this set up everywhere, downhill and cross country. I have put it through several flat landings from drops and so far everything is okay. With that said, I would try to balance the front travel with the rear travel, Although I do know some guys riding hardtails with 6-8 travel forks. I would look for forks made by Marzochi and fox.

Sombeech
02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd love a new fork with more travel, but am afraid of what it would do to the bike.

go to www.mtbr.com and check them out.

Plus, I think most are measuring by inches now instead of mm.

Ross
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
some of the longer travel forks use inches, or for the Supermonster, feet.

Most are still mm, as they should be. At least metric makes sense.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
At least metric makes sense.

NO! NEVER!! I will NEVER bow to a foreign ruler!! :roll:

...and Sombeech, fear not- my 7" Jr.T made my S-Works hardtail a TrailMonster. :2thumbs:

Ross
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Stupid Americans.

greyhair biker
03-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Go for it dude! You will notice the height difference but on the downhill you will like it! On the uphill you might notice you have to lean forward a bit to climb and you could possibly maybe have a tendency to spin out a little but if it were me Id go for it, course, I am used to my downhill monster(200mm Marzocchi Shiver) and when I go back to my cross country bike it feels like a road bike, and it has a Psylo SL which I run full out in lenght all the time(125mm)